User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/22/2004 5:59:11 AM EDT
Osama hiding in Pakistan

9-11 panelist says getting him would imperil ally

By JIM MOHR, Staff Writer

CLAREMONT - The Pentagon knows exactly where Osama bin Laden is hiding in Pakistan, it just can't get to him, a member of the 9-11 Commission said Thursday.
Commissioner John Lehman's remarks echoed those made Tuesday by Secretary of State Colin Powell, who asserted the al-Qaida terror kingpin was alive and operating in the western part of that country.

Bin Laden is living in South Waziristan in the Baluchistan Mountains of the Baluchistan Region, Lehman told The Sun after delivering a keynote speech on terrorism at Pitzer College in Claremont to kick off the university's three-day writers festival.

In the exclusive interview, Lehman said, "There is an American presence in the area, but we can't just send in troops. If we did, we could have another Vietnam, and the United States cannot afford that right now.'

When pressed on why the United States couldn't send troops into the region to capture the world's No. 1 terrorist, Lehman said the Baluchistan Region of the country is filled with militant fundamentalists who do not recognize the legitimacy of President Pervez Musharraf, a close ally of the United States.

"That is a region filled with Taliban and al-Qaida members,' he said, acknowledging that Pakistan's security services also are filled with many who agree with bin Laden's beliefs and would aid him if U.S. Special Forces entered the region.

"Look,' Lehman said, "Musharraf already has had three assassination attempts on his life. He is trying to comply, but he is surrounded by people who do not agree with him. This is not like Afghanistan, where there was no compliance, and we had to go in. We'll get (bin Laden) eventually, just not now.'

Asked how bin Laden was surviving, Lehman said he was getting money from outside countries, such as the United Arab Emirates and high-ranking ministers inside Saudi Arabia.

"He is not a wealthy man,' Lehman said. "We ran that information into the ground and discovered he only receives about $1 million a year from his family's fortune. The rest of what he gets comes from radical sympathizers.'

A Department of Defense spokeswoman, Capt. Ronnie Merritt, confirmed that U.S. military believes bin Laden is in Pakistan. However, she would not comment on Lehman's remarks, except to say that he normally didn't speak about these issues, and she was surprised he had.

Lehman is one of the 10 members of the bipartisan commission that wrote the "The Final Report of the National Commission on Terrorist Attacks Upon the United States,' which is a New York Times best seller. The ardent Republican also is the author of three books about military tactics. Contact writer Jim Mohr at (909) 386-3891 or
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 6:02:18 AM EDT
[#1]
All part of Kerry's plan
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 6:06:48 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

"He is not a wealthy man,' Lehman said. "We ran that information into the ground and discovered he only receives about $1 million a year from his family's fortune. The rest of what he gets comes from radical sympathizers.'

Can I be not-wealthy like that?

Where are my radical sympathizers? I can be radical. Sometimes on a Saturday I'll stay up until ONE in the MORNING! Send cash.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 6:08:26 AM EDT
[#3]
Anyone want to do a road trip?
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 6:10:45 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

25 mil to the one who brings the carcass in.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 6:11:20 AM EDT
[#5]
I would imagine that a million bucks would go quite far in a scum sucking, ass backwards,  place like that.

Echap
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 6:13:10 AM EDT
[#6]
MOAB the bastards.  
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 6:14:18 AM EDT
[#7]
They should send in Gary...
America, F*ck Yeah!
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 6:16:04 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

25 mil to the one who brings the carcass in.

Depending on how many of us go, we could split that up and buy all kinds of nice toys.  
Count me in!
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 6:19:27 AM EDT
[#9]
Wow, this is exactly what I have been telling the Kerry supporters I talk to about OBL. Good to see I wasn't completely off the wall.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 6:27:50 AM EDT
[#10]
Does anyone really believe we have a 6 digit grid on his ass and he hasn't had a visit from Mr. Tomahawk?  I think Bush would blast the Vatican to get him.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 9:41:28 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Does anyone really believe we have a 6 digit grid on his ass and he hasn't had a visit from Mr. Tomahawk?  I think Bush would blast the Vatican to get him.

"October Suprise"
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 9:43:51 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

"October Suprise"

Don't even tease...that would be TOO fugging sweet!!!  

Link Posted: 10/22/2004 9:44:05 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

"October Suprise"

either him or zarqwoi
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 9:50:49 AM EDT
[#14]
If they know EXACTLY where he is, why can't they put a bomb on his ass?  h.gif They are afraid of starting WWIII. Something just doesn't wash. I think the putz is dead.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 10:05:43 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
If they know EXACTLY where he is, why can't they put a bomb on his ass?   They are afraid of starting WWIII. Something just doesn't wash. I think the putz is dead.

They don't know exactly where he is. Maybe an idea of 30-100 square miles or so it seems. You can't just throw a bomb at that.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 10:10:12 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Can I be not-wealthy like that?

Where are my radical sympathizers? I can be radical. Sometimes on a Saturday I'll stay up until ONE in the MORNING! Send cash.

+1
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 10:10:59 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:
If they know EXACTLY where he is, why can't they put a bomb on his ass?   They are afraid of starting WWIII. Something just doesn't wash. I think the putz is dead.

They don't know exactly where he is. Maybe an idea of 30-100 square miles or so it seems. You can't just throw a bomb at that.

How about several bombs? I'll chip in ten bucks towards the cost.

Yes yes, I know, simplistic joking.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 10:11:17 AM EDT
[#18]
Anyone know haw many nukes Pakistan has? How hard would it be to secure them if necessary?
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 10:12:29 AM EDT
[#19]
this could be fun.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 10:12:48 AM EDT
[#20]
A mountianous region like that needs troops in LPC's (leather personnel carriers) to get it done. You would have to swarm the area with US troops to get anything done. The US doesn't have the strenght right now to do it.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 10:17:19 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I thought a ten megaton bomb's radius of total destruction was around 20 miles.  That would easily take out a mere 100 square miles.  Or did you mean a square 100 miles on a side, i.e., 10,000 square miles?  Ok, so we need a grid of nine bombs.  Big deal.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 10:35:00 AM EDT
[#22]
How can this be?......Pakistan is a "friend" of the United States!.... part of the "Coalition".

.......HA!.....I can't believe I said that with a straight face!

Which one of you CLOWNS believed me?
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 10:39:42 AM EDT
[#23]
Old news! Its been known for some time he was hiding the Pakistan’s Tribal areas.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 10:41:43 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
How can this be?......Pakistan is a "friend" of the United States!.... part of the "Coalition".

.......HA!.....I can't believe I said that with a straight face!

Which one of you CLOWNS believed me?

It's not that simple.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 10:46:16 AM EDT
[#25]
The central government has almost zero control of the "Tribal Areas". It’s been an ungoverned semi-autonomist state within a state for well over a hundred years. It’s also full of Islamic Fundamentalists. The Pakistani Army had not even stepped foot in the Tribal areas for over a hundred years until 9/11 and the hunt for terrorists.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 10:47:37 AM EDT
[#26]

THAT DEPENDS UPON THE TYPE OF BOMB(S).
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 10:53:40 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 10:55:04 AM EDT
[#28]

A mountianous region like that needs troops in LPC's (leather personnel carriers) to get it done. You would have to swarm the area with US troops to get anything done. The US doesn't have the strenght right now to do it.

we have the military strength, but want would every one at home say?

all the troops needed to do it ar in trashcanistan.

arty and MLRS can wipe out a grid square at a time.

unfortunately, we have to wait till someone kills 3000 american civilians to get unilateral support from home, and then it only last a few months.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 12:34:32 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 12:47:32 AM EDT
[#30]
Well, that's why we have such lovely planes as the B-52/H, B-1/B, and B-2/A !!!

For those that don't know, those are bombers.  Rain extinction from above!

Kevhug.gif
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 1:14:54 AM EDT
[#31]
Wouldn't that be sad if our presence in Iraq turned out to be preventing us from getting OBL.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 1:15:47 AM EDT
[#32]
Send in the god damn U.S. Navy SEALs at night time with a couple of Blackhawks, Little birds, and AC130's as cover.  Would take 30 minutes.  
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 2:05:21 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Send in the god damn U.S. Navy SEALs at night time with a couple of Blackhawks, Little birds, and AC130's as cover.  Would take 30 minutes.  

....once they know where all the caves & tunnels are, which which one he's in, and someone handcuffs him there so he can't run somewhere else.  If they had him set-up like that, could put a bunker-buster (or a nuke) there instead & that would be cool too.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 2:09:09 AM EDT
[#34]
"the pentagon knows where he is but can't get to him"????

CHOOSE not to, maybe. But CAN'T? There's nowhere on this fucking planet our military can't go if we want to bad enough.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 2:10:21 AM EDT
[#35]
you have to realize that sometimes its better to just let some of those people stay out there if you have them under your thumb.  You learn about a whole lot of other stuff before they become worthless and THEN you nail them.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 2:36:41 AM EDT
[#36]

it just can't get to him

Ummm.  BS....  empty a few more wearhouses of dumb bombs on the surrounding area to scatter the locals, drop fliers warning of 12 hours till ground zero, drop a few... 30 or so moabs to soften them up... wait 2 days for them to come out .....and nuke that area.

Tell pakastan

and

and get this over with so we can attack someone else before it's to late.

Link Posted: 10/23/2004 2:59:39 AM EDT
[#37]
South Waziristan in the Baluchistan Mountains of the Baluchistan Region,
Seems like a Nice place to test the latest Neutron Bomb!
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 5:46:21 AM EDT
[#38]
dust off and nuke the site from orbit, it's the only way to be sure.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 6:32:39 AM EDT
[#39]
froggyruminations.blogspot.com/2004/10/usama-bin-laden-is-dead.html

Usama bin Laden is Dead

You hadn't heard? Well, I'm not breaking news, President Bush knows damn well that UBL has been dead for quite some time. But why would Bush keep it to himself? If he were to disclose his knowledge that UBL is dead he would blow John Kerry's doors off in the election, and yet he remains silent. Why?

Maybe you're wondering how I know he's dead. Perhaps one of my SEAL buddies let me in on the secret? NO. I know because a publicity whore and grandstanding scumbag like UBL could not possibly resist the multitude of opportunites to inspire his cult members. His number 1, Zwahiri, has appeared on video or audio broadcasts every few months since 9/11. UBL has not been heard from since Tora Bora despite developments in the GWOT in Afghanistan and Iraq that make it unthinkable for him to have remained silent. Not to mention successful attacks in Bali, Madrid, Turkey, and Jakarta to name a few that remain unremarked upon by UBL. The invasion and occupation of an Islamic state by the US and not a word. Elections held for the first time in Afghan history, and he had nothing to say about it in the lead up. AQ tried once early on to air a tape that never mentioned key developments in the Afghan campaign and was quickly discredited as an attempt to put one over on his followers by airing a previous recording. Zwahiri decided that it was better to just pretend that UBL was alive because there was no plausible martyr story to tell. UBL went out running for his life like a coward. He is dead. His remains are turds shat by scavenging animals in the mountains of Afghanistan blown by the wind and stomped on by US troops.

By why not make it public? After all, this is the one thing that could ensure the President's re-election. Have you noticed how coy DOD officials and high ranking officers are when the question is posed? They know. They certainly have intelligence to this effect. Of course, the President could have instructed subordinates to start saying that intel indicates UBL is dead. This would have put pressure on him to prove otherwise by issuing a statement which he is clearly unable to make. This process could have started 6 months ago, and if UBL did not answer, it would in effect prove the case. But it didn't happen. Why not?

Because the President knows that making UBL a martyr would serve to further inspire his minions, and he realizes that preventing this from happening is more important than his re-election. Instead, UBL remains forever silent even as his recruits yearn to hear his voice. Eventually these cultists will realize themselves that UBL went out like a punk, not a martyr and that the AQ head shed has been lying to them for years. That realization combined with US combat boots knocking their teeth down their throats will go a long way to beating this cult into submission. But it is important to recognize that the President's committment to killing terrorists supercedes his committment to his own re-election. I'm sure he hopes that the American people will come to this conclusion on their own and vote for him anyway, but it is quite a risk to take in the ultimate ME situation.

This kind of integrity and committment stands in stark contrast to his opponent. Kerry has proved to be a Blue Falcon, a traitor, a louse, a shameless opportunist, and an lazy bureaucrat that pads his resume. Kerry is a smart guy too, and he realizes what is going on. But it hasn't stopped him from trying to bait the President into abandoning a critical propaganda victory in the GWOT by incessantly peddling his Tora Bora "outsourcing" charge in all three debates. He knows that the President will not respond to this charge so he is free to make it. Just like the Cheney lesbian scheme, this is a coordinated hatchet job, but this is on an issue that Kerry knows the President must choose to either defend the SOF troops that got the job done or remain silent. To his personal credit he never took the bait, but to his professional detriment he must let an unanswered charge linger. Do you have that kind of discipline? Especially in crunchtime? I don't know if I do, and I'll be happy to never have to find out.

President Bush, meanwhile, has just continued to keep the pressure on the terrorists, get us out of a recession, protect the homeland, and generally put the country's interests ahead of his own. He deserves your vote.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 8:51:20 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
1, Zwahiri, has appeared on video or audio broadcasts every few months since 9/11. UBL has not been heard from since Tora Bora despite developments in the GWOT in Afghanistan and Iraq that make it unthinkable for him to have remained silent. Not to mention successful attacks in Bali, Madrid, Turkey, and Jakarta to name a few that remain unremarked upon by UBL. The invasion and occupation of an Islamic state by the US and not a word. Elections held for the first time in Afghan history, and he had nothing to say about it in the lead up. AQ tried

I'm sorry, but Osoma himself has been in videos since Tora Bora. He has mentioned both Iraq and the Bali atttacks.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 9:03:06 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:
If they know EXACTLY where he is, why can't they put a bomb on his ass?  h.gif They are afraid of starting WWIII. hing

I realize that but the article does say, "The Pentagon knows exactly where Osama bin Laden is hiding in Pakistan...". I'm sure they are using a very loose definition of exactly.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 9:09:46 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:
1, Zwahiri, has appeared on video or audio broadcasts every few months since 9/11. UBL has not been heard from since Tora Bora despite developments in the GWOT in Afghanistan and Iraq that make it unthinkable for him to have remained silent. Not to mention successful attacks in Bali, Madrid, Turkey, and Jakarta to name a few that remain unremarked upon by UBL. The invasion and occupation of an Islamic state by the US and not a word. Elections held for the first time in Afghan history, and he had nothing to say about it in the lead up. AQ tried

I'm sorry, but Osoma himself has been in videos since Tora Bora. He has mentioned both Iraq and the Bali atttacks.

Sources or links please. All I've seen is A.Z. yapping.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 9:11:58 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

"October Suprise"

Don't even tease...that would be TOO fugging sweet!!!  

ohPLEASE!ohPLEASE!ohPLEASE!ohPLEASE!ohPLEASE!ohPLEASE!ohPLEASE!
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 9:22:20 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
If they know EXACTLY where he is, why can't they put a bomb on his ass?   They are afraid of starting WWIII.

We're already in WWIII. It's just that the Great Unwashed haven't quite admitted it to themselves yet. The ither side, however, sure does see it that way, and intend to win, by any means necessary.

Something just doesn't wash. I think the putz is dead.

I have no idea. Leave the solution to those who know more than we do about this stuff. That's why we pay them and vote for them.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 9:35:49 AM EDT
[#45]
No video since Tora Bora only audio. OBL talked about the Iraq invasion last year. That's the last I've heard from him. Whether that was pre-recorded or not is open for debate.

Personally, I think he's dead. I think his kidney problems caught up with him.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 9:37:55 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Not me. I think Osama is dead, and has been since mid-June, when he died of natural causes in a small farmhouse near Peshawar, Pakistan, with at least two of his sons in attendance.

Posted :: 9/21/2004 10:24:36 PM

Link Posted: 10/23/2004 9:41:21 AM EDT
[#47]
Call in team

Link Posted: 10/23/2004 9:44:52 AM EDT
[#48]
Anyone have a map of the tribal region hes hiding in (if hes even alive)?
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 9:51:28 AM EDT
[#49]
Big image, so just posting the link to the map of the Jalalabad and Peshawar area.

Map
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 10:02:54 AM EDT
[#50]
Seems to me if we knew where he was, he would be captured. No need for a huge military operation; deniable operatives using soviet equipment claiming the reward would be very easy to manage.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top