Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/15/2013 5:50:18 AM EDT
I'm active duty military stationed at fort bragg. I have tx DL, and a FL, ccw permit.

In order to purchase a pistol I need to go to the provost Marshall and get a form and get my commanders signature(permission), then take that form to the sheriff and pay 5 dollars for a permit, plus more paperwork.

Its just bull**it and a violation of my rights as a law abiding citizen, I don't need anybody's permission to buy a pistol. I'm so pissed right now.

Not to mention I want to buy a revolver for my wife before she takes a road trip down to Florida by herself while I'm in airborne school.

I should have stayed in Texas.

Ok, rant over.

**ETA**  Had to fix errors due to posting with a cell phone.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 5:51:43 AM EDT
[#1]
Everyone in NC has to pay $5 to the sherrif to obtain a pistol permit?
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 5:55:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 6:01:50 AM EDT
[#3]
No, it's a Jim Crow law, and it is designed to keep blacks and minorities from owning pistols. It is real racism and as evil as a KKK rally. It is a prime example of why gun control is racist, evil, and should not be tolerated.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 6:05:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

If you have a NC CCH, you don't need anything else.  

In some counties, pistol permits are quick and easy.  Others, not so much.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 6:06:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Unless you get a CHL, yes. The law was passed in the 19-teens (as I recall) so that only people of "good moral character" (i.e., of sufficient whiteness) would be able to purchase handguns. Nowadays it's basically just a formality (at least in Wake County; the sheriffs have very broad discretion to decide by what means they determine if someone is white enough to buy a handgun), but it is a pain in the ass all the same.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 6:07:20 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
No, it's a Jim Crow law, and it is designed to keep blacks and minorities from owning pistols. It is real racism and as evil as a KKK rally. It is a prime example of why gun control is racist, evil, and should not be tolerated.

I recall several years ago a black AR15.com member and NC resident was basically told that if he wanted a pistol permit or NFA sign off then he needed to change counties because his Sheriff would never sign one for a black man.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 6:08:44 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

With concealed carry, you should be ok to purchase. It's nobody in the Army's business but yours what you own.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 6:08:49 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 6:08:55 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Per pistol purchase, and each permit is only good for, I believe, five years. A ccw exempts you from it and BG checks but its still a dumb system.

Difficulty and time to obtain vary county to county. You're supposed to use them for private party too but nobody does.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 6:12:03 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 6:20:16 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I recall several years ago a black AR15.com member and NC resident was basically told that if he wanted a pistol permit or NFA sign off then he needed to change counties because his Sheriff would never sign one for a black man.

We need to make gun control advocates own there heritage.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 6:21:42 AM EDT
[#12]
In Onslow Co. (Jacksonville), a letter was required from our CoC stating we had permission to purchase a sidearm and signed by the CO, a form signed off by a doctor stating that we were mentally competent, and a permit issued by the SO (issued 3-5 at a time and good for five years) in order to purchase a pistol.  Probably about a 10 day process at a minimum.

What a pain in the dick.  The only complaint I really had about that state other than the God-awful weather in summer.  The good part is that NC had CC reciprocity with ID, so I didn't have jump through my ass to carry legally there.  

Oh, and FUCK SHERIFF BROWN.  Asshole.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 6:23:20 AM EDT
[#13]
Does this have anything to do with not having a NC DL?
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 6:27:33 AM EDT
[#14]
Maybe a big earthquake will knock North Carolina into the ocean.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 6:31:54 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Not before my little florida bashing buddy dubBinSEA can get out.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 6:35:03 AM EDT
[#16]
The state side of it, maybe, but you are a soldier now and you need to get used to the fact that you sacrificed a great deal of your rights to defend our rights. Put your big boy pants on and deal with it. Just be happy your base commander allows personally owned firearms at all. If you lived in the barracks instead of housing, you would probably be required to store your firearms in your company's arms room.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 6:40:06 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

With concealed carry, you should be ok to purchase. It's nobody in the Army's business but yours what you own.

But it is the base commander's business what weapons are on his post.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 6:51:12 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I disagree. If you signed a contract and joined the Army you have no personal business. All your business belongs to the Army.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 6:52:52 AM EDT
[#19]
Yeah, I just moved here and this place is kinda weird as far as gun stuff in concerned.

I was going to watch the Charlotte ABC news station show yesterday showing how easy it was to buy pistols and the Sheriff of Mecklenburg county wanting to do more to stop all the guns being bought since Obama was elected.

I'm probably glad I didn't watch, because I probably would have broken my TV.

Yeah, here unless you have a CCW permit you have to pay $5 for a pistol permit. They do a background check, because you know the federal background check isn't good enough. Then pick it up from the sheriff's office when they do what they do. Talk about one pain in the ass. Then to top it off you have asshole anti gun sheriff's like Mecklenburg County who may not even sign off on the pistol permit.

Good luck getting any NFA stuff too. Although most people here use the trust option, but even at that you have to use pretty specific language in the trust for it to go through.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 6:58:49 AM EDT
[#20]
Lol, you should try NY.  I'd embrace that shit there.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 7:07:38 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Lol, you should try NY.  I'd embrace that shit there.

Just the tip. I promise.  
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 7:55:08 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

But it is the base commander's business what weapons are on his post.

I live off-base in a home that I own.

I also have to disagree with someone else's comment about not having any personal business when joining the Army. Lots of people like to say once you sign up that certain rights dont apply to you, or that the Army owns you. This is simply not true, I am a free man whether I am in the Army or not.

On another note, I am sick of putting my life at risk every single day that I go to work on Fort Bragg (all military installations) by having my second amendment rights striped from me, and being forced to be unarmed. After the fort Hood Massacre (a terrorist attack) and all of the recent shootings you would think this issue would be brought up.

Anyways, I am just venting, I already own firearms I just wanted to get something nice for my wife before she drives down to Florida by herself.

Link Posted: 2/15/2013 7:57:31 AM EDT
[#23]
I don't recall having to get a Commander's signature at the provost marshal.  
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 7:59:11 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

This is exactly what it is and how it came about. The sheriff has to approve you are "of good moral character" in order to get the permit. If the sheriff does not like you for any reason regardless wither you are perfectly legal to own a handgun he can deny you.

Link Posted: 2/15/2013 8:03:05 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I also have to disagree with someone else's comment about not having any personal business when joining the Army. Lots of people like to say once you sign up that certain rights dont apply to you, or that the Army owns you. This is simply not true, I am a free man whether I am in the Army or not.

On another note, I am sick of putting my life at risk every single day that I go to work on Fort Bragg (all military installations) by having my second amendment rights striped from me, and being forced to be unarmed. After the fort Hood Massacre (a terrorist attack) and all of the recent shootings you would think this issue would be brought up.

Anyways, I am just venting, I already own firearms I just wanted to get something nice for my wife before she drives down to Florida by herself.

If you live in off base housing, why are you required to submit a permission slip from your commander? In other words, why are you even telling the sheriff that you are a soldier?

No, the Army does not own you. You DID sign a contract and while you are enlisted, you are not protected by many of the provisions of the Constitution and state law. As you well know, you are subject to the UCMJ, which does not guarantee you 2nd or 4th amendment rights, among others. You are not a free man. You may not simply walk away from the Army. You may not simply disregard lawful orders.

I'm not saying I agree with the weapons policies in place, just that the base commanders have the legal authority to decide those policies. Where I a base commander, I would institute a sort of base CWP where the SM attends a briefing on use of force, passes a written test, and qualifies on the pistol they intend to carry. They would submit the packet to their company commander and it would be his discretion whether that troop would be allowed to carry on post. I would also *require* MPs to carry their M9 off duty. The only exception would be for PT.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 8:06:18 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I don't recall having to get a Commander's signature at the provost marshal.  

No, you get some forms from the provost marshall and they do a background check. Then you have your company commander sign the papers. Next, take those papers to the sheriffs office and hope they approve you. If they do you pay $5 and get your pistol permit, which allows you to purchase a pistol. BS.

Link Posted: 2/15/2013 8:13:42 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you live in off base housing, why are you required to submit a permission slip from your commander? In other words, why are you even telling the sheriff that you are a soldier?

No, the Army does not own you. You DID sign a contract and while you are enlisted, you are not protected by many of the provisions of the Constitution and state law. As you well know, you are subject to the UCMJ, which does not guarantee you 2nd or 4th amendment rights, among others. You are not a free man. You may not simply walk away from the Army. You may not simply disregard lawful orders.

I'm not saying I agree with the weapons policies in place, just that the base commanders have the legal authority to decide those policies. Where I a base commander, I would institute a sort of base CWP where the SM attends a briefing on use of force, passes a written test, and qualifies on the pistol they intend to carry. They would submit the packet to their company commander and it would be his discretion whether that troop would be allowed to carry on post. I would also *require* MPs to carry their M9 off duty. The only exception would be for PT.

I was wondering the same thing. I was thinking of just going and getting a NC license and then just go straight to the Sheriffs office and get the permit. When I talked to them though they said because I was still active duty I would still have to do the whole provost marshal thing. I dont know how they would know I am active duty, but I did see the permit request form and it asks who your employer is.

I like your proposed policy for an on base CHL, I think it is fair and would work well.

I understand what I signed up for and I have been doing this for awhile, I also just re-enlisted this week too. I love the Army, but it pisses me off sometimes, lol, as Im sure it does everyone else who is in. I may just drive down to FL after I graduate airborne school and use my CHL to get what I want, we will see.

Link Posted: 2/15/2013 8:16:47 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

No they don't if you have a NC CHP you don't have to get the purchase permit.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 8:20:41 AM EDT
[#29]
It gets even better depending on which county it is.  Orange County (Chapel Hill) you ALSO have to provide 4 notarized personal references saying you are a good dude before you can get a pistol purchase permit.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 8:20:54 AM EDT
[#30]
Just let the wife by it on her own. If you own the home you live in, Big Army would have nothing to do with HER buying a gun, I would think.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 8:23:10 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Just let the wife by it on her own. If you own the home you live in, Big Army would have nothing to do with HER buying a gun, I would think.

She has a FL drivers license....

Link Posted: 2/15/2013 8:27:32 AM EDT
[#32]
When I was at Bragg I just got a nc ccw and bought all the merry shit I wanted permitliss . Just had to fill out 4473s.

There is an NRA guy in Fayetteville that does the course for 35 bucks in his basement. Anyone who ops to buy pistol permits is doing it the hardway

Never heard of the company commander or anyone even needing to know what your purchasing sounds retarded.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 8:29:13 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I disagree. If you signed a contract and joined the Army you have no personal business. All your business belongs to the Army.

No.

Link Posted: 2/15/2013 8:30:24 AM EDT
[#34]
Just buy one FTF and don't sweat it.  As long as it is legal for you to buy there, you can buy FTF.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 8:36:53 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Just buy one FTF and don't sweat it.  As long as it is legal for you to buy there, you can buy FTF.

BY law this still requires a purchase permit
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 8:37:33 AM EDT
[#36]
People laugh at SC, but we do not have any of that BS down here. I once turned down a promotion that required moving to NC, just because of the NC permit crap.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 8:42:11 AM EDT
[#37]
Can a SC resident sell a pistol FTF to someone with a FL CHL and a TX drivers license? Just for future reference.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 8:44:35 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Can a SC resident sell a pistol FTF to someone with a FL CHL and a TX drivers license? Just for future reference.

That would be a big NO since it would need to go though an FFL
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 8:44:47 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 2/15/2013 8:47:35 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Settle down. This is God's country out here. They don't know what they're missing.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 8:48:50 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
In Onslow Co. (Jacksonville), a letter was required from our CoC stating we had permission to purchase a sidearm and signed by the CO, a form signed off by a doctor stating that we were mentally competent, and a permit issued by the SO (issued 3-5 at a time and good for five years) in order to purchase a pistol.  Probably about a 10 day process at a minimum.

What a pain in the dick.  The only complaint I really had about that state other than the God-awful weather in summer.  The good part is that NC had CC reciprocity with ID, so I didn't have jump through my ass to carry legally there.  

Oh, and FUCK SHERIFF BROWN.  Asshole.

Hey buddy, yer talkin' bad about a fine Christian man....(when the situation calls for it )

Surprising how they blindly vote him in year after year.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 8:55:32 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Yeah, I just moved here and this place is kinda weird as far as gun stuff in concerned.

I was going to watch the Charlotte ABC news station show yesterday showing how easy it was to buy pistols and the Sheriff of Mecklenburg county wanting to do more to stop all the guns being bought since Obama was elected.

Yeah, here unless you have a CCW permit you have to pay $5 for a pistol permit. They do a background check, because you know the federal background check isn't good enough. Then pick it up from the sheriff's office when they do what they do. Talk about one pain in the ass. Then to top it off you have asshole anti gun sheriff's like Mecklenburg County who may not even sign off on the pistol permit.

Good luck getting any NFA stuff too. Although most people here use the trust option, but even at that you have to use pretty specific language in the trust for it to go through.

As a civilian you also have to go to the courthouse and pay for a background check as well. So it costs more. Last time I went it was $10 for the background and then $5 for each permit issued.
The sherrif also has the gunshop send one of the carbon copies from the permit back to the dept. Isn't that nice?

Link Posted: 2/15/2013 8:58:52 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

And today the black politicians in the state love it. They think it's just wonderful.

Link Posted: 2/15/2013 8:59:43 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

She has a FL drivers license....

You've established residency with the house you own, right?  So why can't she get an NC DL then go the permit way herself?  Sounds like you are too spread out.  I know that's a by-product of .mil life, but off base isn't .mil and the usual local/state laws apply.  Pay to play.

Also, since you have FL CHL and TX DL, is your FL CHL resident or non resident?  Makes a difference in what states you carry, especially if you (or she) travel to or through SC.

http://www.usacarry.com/concealed_carry_permit_reciprocity_maps.html

Link Posted: 2/15/2013 9:00:50 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Settle down. This is God's country out here. They don't know what they're missing.

I spent a year in NC. I know exactly what I'm "missing", and you can have it all to yourself for as long as you want it.

Link Posted: 2/15/2013 9:02:40 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I spent a year in NC. I know exactly what I'm "missing", and you can have it all to yourself for as long as you want it.  

Cool man, it ain't for you.  Moving on...

Link Posted: 2/15/2013 9:03:28 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:

As a civilian you also have to go to the courthouse and pay for a background check as well. So it costs more. Last time I went it was $10 for the background and then $5 for each permit issued.
The sherrif also has the gunshop send one of the carbon copies from the permit back to the dept. Isn't that nice?

What county I have never had to do that
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 9:23:51 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I'm active duty military stationed at fort bragg. I have tx DL, and a FL, ccw permit.

In order to purchase a pistol I need to go to the provost Marshall and get a form and get my commanders signature(permission), then take that form to the sheriff and pay 5 dollars for a permit, plus more paperwork.

Its just bull**it and a violation of my rights as a law abiding citizen, I don't need anybody's permission to buy a pistol. I'm so pissed right now.

Not to mention I want to buy a revolver for my wife before she takes a road trip down to Florida by herself while I'm in airborne school.

I should have stayed in Texas.

Ok, rant over.

**ETA**  Had to fix errors due to posting with a cell phone.

I feel your pain...I had to go through the purchase permit crap to get my deployment pistol. After that, I jumped through all the hoops to get the NC CHL. After that, I said "fuck it" and got my FL resident permit since FL is my home.

What I would do, if I was in your shoes, would be either:
a) get a NC CHL...that way, you can buy all you want in NC without having to get the permit every damn time;
b) put in for a 3 or 4 day pass, drive down to Fl, and buy whatever you want.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 9:25:21 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Join Date- Check
Post Count- Check
No Tank Next To Username- Check

Link Posted: 2/15/2013 9:29:39 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Cool man, it ain't for you.  Moving on...  

I'm funnin' with you a little bit son. It's true that NC is no where near the paradise the The Lone Star State is, but it ain't as bad as say Michigan or Ohio.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top