Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/17/2004 5:40:02 PM EDT
Death toll is unknown at this time. an entire community a few counties over was utterly destroyed when homes washed with a mud slide down a mountainside. A 350 ft Part of one highway leading into TN fell into a river. Power outages are widespread. Highest wind speed was last night at 98 mph. I was up all night lastnight fighting a creek below my house to keep it from getting into my shop.

The force of the water was terrifying. This creek rarely ever gets about 8 - 10 inches anywhere along its length. Yet lastnight there were places where the water was chest deep! I know, I waded in to try to stop things from floating away. I have a Mil Surplus cargo trailer and it was getting swept away. I barely managed to save that. Several things in the lower part of my yard are gone. several cinder blocks were carried off by the water. This morning the creek had receeded a good bit and I found things of mine almost half a mile down the road. Sorry for rambling I am in shock. In all the years I have lived here I have never experienced anything like that.

Many roads are still closed. several communities in counties east of me are under water. a few lives have been taken in NC by this storm. Thank God it is over and didnt do more damage.

My heart goes out to that community I mentioned earlier. Sorry I dont know where it is or what its called. They know that at least 4 people lost their lives in that horrible event and many many people are still missing. among them...........women and children. he
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 5:42:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Ivan has done a extensive damage in VA and WVA as well.  Hope you NC guys get through everything.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 5:45:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Take care

this is nuts

I expect major problems with  the same thing soon --
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 5:49:36 PM EDT
[#3]
what part of NC is this?
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 6:02:00 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
what part of NC is this?

Yeah, I've been at work all day and haven't heard about this.  It's in the mountains, I guess?
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 6:02:08 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
what part of NC is this?

Western NC in the counties surrounding Ashville.

Last night was scary. There was ONE radio station in this area playing info about the storm. Its very annoying to turn on the battery powered radio in the middle of a hurricane and hear some asshat griping about Bush's service record.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 6:02:52 PM EDT
[#6]
When Ivan passed through central AL yesterday, it took 3 trees down in my yard and damaged my roof slightly. I felt lucky that it wasn't worse. Too bad lots of people haven't been so lucky. I hope there weren't many killed in NC. Do you know what town it was or which road slid off? What counties are we talking about?
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 6:04:41 PM EDT
[#7]
freaking jeane is coming later this week
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 7:38:46 PM EDT
[#8]
79 MPH winds at RDU airport. Flipped a couple of parked Cessnas.

Lots of rain tomorrow. Hope the mountains hold up.

Here are some pics from Frances last week.

Link Posted: 9/18/2004 2:58:22 AM EDT
[#9]
Here are some pictures from RDU. Top wind gust reported as 92mph at the airport.

Link Posted: 9/18/2004 3:09:14 AM EDT
[#10]

Damn, I've been where those pics were taken. Been to the Biltmore too. Sorry to see that.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 8:24:16 AM EDT
[#11]
Looks like this thing is about over.

Link Posted: 9/18/2004 8:37:56 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Death toll is unknown at this time. an entire community a few counties over was utterly destroyed when homes washed with a mud slide down a mountainside.

From www.cnn.com/2004/WEATHER/09/18/ivan.remnants.ap/index.html about halfway down teh page.

Four people were killed Friday in Macon County, in the southwest corner of the state, said Rob Brisley with the state Office of Emergency Management. A toddler, an unborn child and two adults died when a wall of water smashed a community of 30 homes to bits.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 7:25:52 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Death toll is unknown at this time. an entire community a few counties over was utterly destroyed when homes washed with a mud slide down a mountainside.

From www.cnn.com/2004/WEATHER/09/18/ivan.remnants.ap/index.html about halfway down teh page.

Four people were killed Friday in Macon County, in the southwest corner of the state, said Rob Brisley with the state Office of Emergency Management. A toddler, an unborn child and two adults died when a wall of water smashed a community of 30 homes to bits.

Yep there it is. heard
I dont remember which highway it is that part of it fell into the river but it was one that runs along the TN river IIRC.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 12:25:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Okay scratch that. I heard the news this morning and this time I have the facts.

It is I-40 going into TN that had a 350 ft section fall into the Pidgeon river. Today there is one lane of traffic open in each direction but officials say it could take up to a year or more before all lanes are open again through that area.

Also the death toll in the community that washed down the mountain is 4. 2 women in their 40's a 3 year old boy IIRC and an unborn child. 4 People are also still missing and there are unconfirmed reports that a 5th body has been found.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 12:26:49 PM EDT
[#15]
That's awful.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 2:10:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Hey I have heard rumors that the damage in Clyde IIRC is so bad that the Gov is considering bulldozing the whole town and starting over. Dunno if its true though. You know how rumors go.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top