BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/1/2007 11:55:52 PM EDT

NBA Wants Players to Leave Guns at Home
NBA Commisioner David Stern Wants NBA Players to Leave the Guns at Home
By BRIAN MAHONEY
The Associated Press
NEW YORK - David Stern understands having a gun to protect your home. He's not convinced carrying one on the streets makes you any safer.

For that reason, the NBA commissioner said Wednesday that he would prefer his players leave their firearms behind when they go out.

"It's a pretty, I think, widely accepted statistic that if you carry a gun, your chances of being shot by one increase dramatically," Stern said during his preseason conference call. "We think this is an alarming subject, that although you'll read players saying how they feel safer with guns, in fact those guns actually make them less safe. And it's a real issue."

It's one that was raised recently when Indiana's Stephen Jackson shot a gun in the air at least five times outside an Indianapolis strip club on Oct. 6. He originally told police he fired in self-defense during a fight in which he was hit by a car.

The NBA's collective bargaining agreement allows players to own licensed guns, but they can't carry them on any league or team business. Asked what kind of firearm rule he would want if collective bargaining weren't involved, Stern said: "I would favor being able to have a firearm to protect your home. Period."

He added that walking the streets carrying guns was "dangerous for our players," but said there has been no further discussion with the union about strengthening the policy.

Union spokesman Dan Wasserman said it already was bolstered in last year's agreement, at the request of the league.

"In response to issues raised by the NBA during bargaining last year," he said, "a provision was added to the collective bargaining agreement that subjects the players to discipline if they bring any kind of firearm, even if it's licensed, to an NBA arena, practice facility, or even a team or league offsite promotional appearance."

Wasserman also said that the dangers of firearms are discussed during the rookie transition program, where players are "informed of the legalities of it, what you can or can't do, and the pros of cons of having a weapon are discussed extensively."

With the start of the season less than a week away, Stern also addressed the arena situation in Sacramento. The city's residents will be asked to approve two ballot measures on Nov. 7 that would increase local sales tax as part of the Kings' quest to replace Arco Arena with a new downtown building.

The measures are considered long-shots to pass, and Stern seems to understand why after claiming that a deal between the city and the developer hasn't been finalized.

"In the absence of a deal between the city and a developer, I don't know what any fair-minded citizen of Sacramento is being asked to vote on," he said. "I would love to see them support an arena development, but I would tell them that they better make sure that the city gets with it to see whether the deal can in fact be done. Right now there is no deal anyplace."

Also, Stern said he expected to rule on Larry Brown's grievance with the Knicks sometime during the second week of the season. The Knicks refused to pay the remainder of Brown's contract after firing him one year into a five-year deal.
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 12:02:33 AM EDT
[#1]
They can afford other means to protect themselves as much as need be, as their employer has stated it would rather them not carry while working.
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 12:06:02 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 12:07:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Perhaps not hanging around, associating with, or acting like thugs would be a start.
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 12:13:37 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
They can afford other means to protect themselves as much as need be, as their employer has stated it would rather them not carry while working.

fuck that.

oh, I see youre canadian.
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 12:21:35 AM EDT
[#5]
They're just a bunch of over paid whiney a$$ thugs anyway.
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 12:29:15 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

By BRIAN MAHONEY
The Associated Press
NEW YORK - David Stern understands having a gun to protect your home. He's not convinced carrying one on the streets makes you any safer.

For that reason, the NBA commissioner said Wednesday that he would prefer his players leave their firearms behind when they go out.

"It's a pretty, I think, widely accepted statistic that if you carry a gun, your chances of being shot by one increase dramatically," Stern said during his preseason conference call. "We think this is an alarming subject, that although you'll read players saying how they feel safer with guns, in fact those guns actually make them less safe. And it's a real issue."

Widely accepted by who, you little asshat?  Why don't you stick to something you (supposedly) know, like commissioning one of the shittiest sports on the planet.

Standing by for from the hoops lovers out there.
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 12:33:55 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

By BRIAN MAHONEY
The Associated Press

Widely accepted by who, you little asshat?  Why don't you stick to something you (supposedly) know, like commissioning one of the shittiest sports on the planet.

Hmm.... carry a gun equals a *dramatic* increased probability that I'll get shot with one?

I wonder if that same "logic" works for lottery tickets.  Better go buy a bunch since it will increase my chances of being a millionaire.

What a fucking moron.  
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 12:37:59 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

By BRIAN MAHONEY
The Associated Press

Basketball is one of the shittiest sports because YOU say so??
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 12:42:33 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Perhaps not hanging around, associating with, or acting like thugs would be a start.

+1

Every athlete-involved shooting generally goes the same way...

They aren't 'protecting themselves', they're acting like 18yo street corner punks, getting in nightclub fights, shooting their knocked-up girlfriends (or was that NFL) & such...
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 12:50:43 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

fuck that.

Link Posted: 1/2/2007 1:32:55 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

fuck that.

Link Posted: 1/2/2007 1:40:57 AM EDT
[#12]
I will feel safer if NBA players can't carry guns, too.
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 1:53:44 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

wtf?

whos next rappers?

guys that bowl?

maybe baseball players should turn in thier fucking bats?!?!??!

I've yet to see one packing on court...why would anyone give a shit what these guys do off the clock?

I could give a shit about professional athletes......but they have the right to protect themselves......

some of you guys sound like a bunch of commie faggots

time to take off the dress nancy
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 3:39:53 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

That's why I have not watched an NBA games in years, maybe a decade!!
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 4:12:26 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Amen to that same with the drug selling thing.
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 4:15:47 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

By BRIAN MAHONEY
The Associated Press

Basketball is one of the shittiest sports because YOU say so??

He's probably short and can't jump.

Link Posted: 1/2/2007 4:17:56 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

+ 1 to that

Also, NFL and rappers.
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 4:44:02 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
He's probably short white and can't jump.

Fixed it!

-James
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 4:49:19 AM EDT
[#19]
They should be allowed to carry on the court.

(and +1 on basketball sucking...  not because of the game itself..  the thugs and crooked officiating drove me from ever watching it again.)
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 5:02:07 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
What they really need to do is say the being involved in gangs and/or drugs is what puts them at risk, not the gun part.

But if they did so, the NBA would be smeared as racists...

Just like in Massachusetts. The liberals know that 99% of gun crime is connected to drugs and gangs in poor, high crime minority areas, but nobody wants to look insensitive, so they dump on suburban and rural gunowners instead. Easier target, looks good in the papers, and nobody gets called a racist, exc. for the gunowners pointing out this salient fact....
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 5:08:54 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

wtf?

whos next rappers?

guys that bowl?

maybe baseball players should turn in thier fucking bats?!?!??!

I've yet to see one packing on court...why would anyone give a shit what these guys do off the clock?

I could give a shit about professional athletes......but they have the right to protect themselves......

some of you guys sound like a bunch of commie faggots

time to take off the dress nancy

Maybe you don't quite understand.  I would feel safer if the boys who are irresponsible about their gun handling and personal actions did not have guns.  

Of course, I think they should drop the salaries, get sports out of the universities and make a whole lot of bush league teams.

But I don't watch, anyway.
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 5:10:40 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
*snip*
*snip*

i really wish we had *one* "friend" in the press who would take people task when they say this shit. this bs would stop in a hurry if the next time some liberal with a cause said this ina press conference, and a reporter stood up and said, "...um, can you SHOW me where that statistic came from? because as far as i know, you are wrong..."

Link Posted: 1/2/2007 6:37:48 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:
*snip*
*snip*

i really wish we had *one* "friend" in the press who would take people task when they say this shit. this bs would stop in a hurry if the next time some liberal with a cause said this ina press conference, and a reporter stood up and said, "...um, can you SHOW me where that statistic came from? because as far as i know, you are wrong..."

Most reporters come from liberal backgrounds in cities or suburbs and have little, if any, positive first-hand experiences with firearms. Despite their vast educations, they are often still ignorant- and sometimes willfully so- on certain subjects, such as guns.

There is also no upward career bounce in the media from presenting positive aspects of firearms.
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 6:49:41 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 7:00:12 AM EDT
[#25]
NBA Commissioner Stern needs to:

1) take a statistics class
2) stop drinking the VPC/Brady Bunch Kool Aid
3) let players exercise their rights as Americans to carry firearms if they are legally able to do so
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 7:02:25 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

"It's a pretty, I think, widely accepted statistic that if you carry a gun, your chances of being shot by one increase dramatically," Stern said d

Link Posted: 1/2/2007 7:10:11 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Who cares what the employer "wishes."  They are under contract so unless their contract says they can't carry, doesn't matter what the employer wants.
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 7:10:59 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
*snip*
*snip*

Most reporters come from liberal backgrounds in cities or suburbs and have little, if any, positive first-hand experiences with firearms. Despite their vast educations, they are often still ignorant- and sometimes willfully so- on certain subjects, such as guns.

There is also no upward career bounce in the media from presenting positive aspects of firearms.

Something that has become apparent to me is just how many sports reporters are liberals. I don't know why I think they shouldn't be, but I'm always surprised when I hear some of them drift off their hard sports story reporting and venture into some political commentary, which invariably exposes their liberal mindset.

And as far as the NBA goes, I would be hard pressed to think of a group of professional athletes I respect less. The "Gangsta Athlete" personna started there, and has flourished for years, all under the wishy-washy oversight of David Stern.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top