Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 12/22/2010 6:34:36 AM EDT
Hey guys I just got home from Norfolk, VA to see my fiance's brother come home from a 7 month deployment on the USS Harry S. Truman.

The clarification: His rank is E3, and his job title as he stated was ASAN, now I know AN stands for Airman, what does the AS stand for? Apprentice? It also could have been ANAS but I doubt it. I want to get him something with his job title on it so I want to make sure its correct. He is back on the ship on watch or I'd ask him myself.

The question: During our trip, his mother bought her self and my fiance one of those deployment flags and a car magnet with the one star on it. Is it appropriate for me to put this magnet on my car? I had only seen them on houses and vehicles belonging to Parents, wives, children of the deployed serviceman. I want to show my support but I also don't want to be inappropriate or disrespectful since we are not yet related by marraige, and even then, will only be brothers-in-law.

Thanks a lot guys.
Link Posted: 12/22/2010 6:41:30 AM EDT
Link Posted: 12/22/2010 6:45:02 AM EDT
Thanks for that but it didn't help me much lol. He works on the tractors the move planes and helo's around the deck of the carrier if that helps any.
Link Posted: 12/22/2010 6:48:57 AM EDT
Originally Posted By emt322636:
Thanks for that but it didn't help me much lol. He works on the tractors the move planes and helo's around the deck of the carrier if that helps any.

Call his mother and ask her how she addressed his mail to him.

She would have been told by him how to address it to him.

Seven months ago, he probably was an Airman Apprentice (AA) as opposed to an Airman (AN) now.

Just find out from his mother the first two letters which would be his rate and tack the AN onto it.

Link Posted: 12/22/2010 6:49:54 AM EDT

"Entitled Relatives

Relatives who are entitled to display the blue or gold star banner include parents (including foster, adoptive and stepparents), children, spouses, siblings and half-siblings. In addition, service organizations are entitled to display the Service flag to honor their deployed or killed members."

Link Posted: 12/22/2010 6:56:27 AM EDT
That's my old ship, so he is an Aviation Support tech Airman. Rate comes first then rank. Get him something with his rate symbol on it, always nice.
Link Posted: 12/22/2010 6:59:40 AM EDT
Originally Posted By BillyDoubleU:
That's my old ship, so he is an Aviation Support tech Airman. Rate comes first then rank. Get him something with his rate symbol on it, always nice.

Ok, thanks, so would that be ASAN, or ANAS?

I'd ask his mom but this was her idea and they communicated via internet, she never sent him any snail mail. She sent him a few packages but cant remember what she wrote on it lol.
Link Posted: 12/22/2010 7:00:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/22/2010 7:00:29 AM EDT by NAM]
Originally Posted By Madcap72:
[span]

"Entitled Relatives

[div]Relatives who are entitled to display the blue or gold star banner include parents (including foster, adoptive and stepparents), children, spouses, siblings and half-siblings. In addition, service organizations are entitled to display the Service flag to honor their deployed or killed members."

901. Service flag and service lapel button
(a) INDIVIDUALS ENTITLED TO DISPLAY SERVICE
FLAG.—A service flag approved by the Secretary
of Defense may be displayed in a window of the
place of residence of individuals who are members
of the immediate family of an individual
serving in the Armed Forces of the United
States during any period of war or hostilities in
which the Armed Forces of the United States
are engaged.
(b) INDIVIDUALS ENTITLED TO DISPLAY SERVICE
LAPEL BUTTON.—A service lapel button approved
by the Secretary may be worn by members of
the immediate family of an individual serving in
the Armed Forces of the United States during
any period of war or hostilities in which the
Armed Forces of the United States are engaged.

http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-bin/usc.cgi?ACTION=RETRIEVE&FILE=$$xa$$busc36.wais&start=274126&SIZE=3057&TYPE=PDF
Link Posted: 12/22/2010 7:07:26 AM EDT

Originally Posted By NAM:

"Entitled Relatives

[div]Relatives who are entitled to display the blue or gold star banner include parents (including foster, adoptive and stepparents), children, spouses, siblings and half-siblings. In addition, service organizations are entitled to display the Service flag to honor their deployed or killed members."

FLAG.—[span style='color: red;']A service flag approved by the Secretary
are engaged.(b) INDIVIDUALS ENTITLED TO DISPLAY SERVICE

http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-bin/usc.cgi?ACTION=RETRIEVE&FILE=$$xa$$busc36.wais&start=274126&SIZE=3057&TYPE=PDF

Immediate family is the operative word there.
Link Posted: 12/22/2010 7:08:59 AM EDT

"Entitled Relatives

FLAG.—[span style='color: red;']A service flag approved by the Secretary
are engaged.(b) INDIVIDUALS ENTITLED TO DISPLAY SERVICE

Immediate family is the operative word there.

Thanks guys, I've gotten my clarification on this, I'll find other ways to show my support!
Link Posted: 12/22/2010 7:19:17 AM EDT
Taking him out for a beer, or doing something together to get him back in the groove of being home will go pretty darn far for showing support.
Link Posted: 12/22/2010 7:42:38 AM EDT
Taking him out for a beer, or doing something together to get him back in the groove of being home will go pretty darn far for showing support.

Ditto. But don't be surprised if he wants a little space either. Usually when I came back, I just wanted to inprocess ASAP so I could go home and have a nice long shower (not a 10 second towel bath), have a drink, and just be a sloth for a few days.
Link Posted: 12/22/2010 7:54:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/22/2010 7:56:38 AM EDT by BillyDoubleU]

Ditto. But don't be surprised if he wants a little space either. Usually when I came back, I just wanted to inprocess ASAP so I could go home and have a nice long shower (not a 10 second towel bath), have a drink, and just be a sloth for a few days.

No inprocessing for ships company. When I got back from deployment me and my pal just walked on land all day! Got some good food and walked on land.

ASAN (insert last name)
Link Posted: 12/22/2010 8:06:55 AM EDT

No inprocessing for ships company. When I got back from deployment me and my pal just walked on land all day! Got some good food and walked on land.

ASAN (insert last name)

Thanks a lot, you've all been very helpful and thank you for your service!
Link Posted: 12/22/2010 8:08:18 AM EDT
No inprocessing for ships company.

Must be nice. I was a zoomie. Death by briefings for 3-4 days.
Link Posted: 12/22/2010 8:31:29 AM EDT
No inprocessing for ships company.

Must be nice. I was a zoomie. Death by briefings for 3-4 days.

Yeah, just pull in and await liberty call.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 5:21:08 AM EDT

When were you there? I was aboard from 02-06.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 6:31:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/1/2011 6:32:10 AM EDT by BillyDoubleU]
Originally Posted By Col_Sanders:

When were you there? I was aboard from 02-06.

I was in from 97-02. I was a plankowner, April 98 to Dec 02. I got out right before she deployed for the second time. I stayed on the beach when it left for JTFX (?), that last 2 week training before standswn and deployment. I got to email muster for 3 days before my separation leave started
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 9:19:41 AM EDT
I checked in 2 or 3 days before JTFX so I just missed ya.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 9:39:27 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Col_Sanders:
I checked in 2 or 3 days before JTFX so I just missed ya.

Yeah I left the day before. I didn't get dinged off either, just left. What department were you in?
Top Top