Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/6/2001 7:46:10 AM EDT
[url]http://www.newsmax.com/archives/articles/2001/6/5/222140.shtml[/url]
Link Posted: 6/6/2001 8:12:01 AM EDT
[#1]
You know, Mother Nature used to have a way with how things worked or didn't work in the natural world. Not so much anymore.

Say it's 100 years ago. You caught the Ebola virus somewhere in Uganda. As you WALKED to the capital city of Kampala, you would collapse and die on the side of the road. Anyone in close contact with either you alive or you as a corpse, would likely also be infected and die.

So far, only a local human tragedy.

Now, you may ride the bus into Kampala, get on a flight to Nairobi, Kenya, and be in London before you even begin to exhibit symptoms.

Hell, let's make it NYC, you collapse and die at LaGuardia!

So far, only an international medical tragedy of unknown scope and proportions! Think how many people came into contact with you at Kampala, Nairobi, London and New York, and went off on their separate (and infectious) ways!

The strain [i]Ebola Reston[/i], named for the city in Virginia where it infected monkeys in a research clinic.  More than 147 persons exposed to the [b]air-borne[/b] strain, but no human
casualties.  Two workers did develop antibodies to the Ebola Reston strain, however.

Big news is that it was [b]air-borne[/b] unlike the [i]Eboloa Zaire[/i] strain.  If there ever comes a time when a strain arives with the mortality rate of the [i]Zaire[/i] strain, and the air-borne nature of the [i]Reston[/i] strain, better watch out!

Eric The(IThinkINeedToWashUpNow)Hun[>]:)]  
Link Posted: 6/6/2001 9:12:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Thats a good point Eric...best to keep ones life in order..and as Joe Bob Briggs says
"Anyone can die at any minute" the real problem becomes ...what happens after that
.. Know Jesus Know Eternal Life... No Jesus No Eternal Life
Link Posted: 6/6/2001 10:20:31 AM EDT
[#3]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top