Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/11/2006 5:22:51 PM EDT
Just before Christmas the doctors found cancer.  She started radiation this last Monday and goes on chemo later this week.  Found out today they think there may be more in other places.  My wife is having a very hard time with this.  For those that do pray, we would appreciate a few.  I know prayer works - I've seen it turn impossible situations around.  Thank you.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 5:26:41 PM EDT
[#1]
on it
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 5:26:50 PM EDT
[#2]

I'll keep her in my prayers for you.  Hope things turn around for her.

Link Posted: 1/11/2006 5:29:54 PM EDT
[#3]
sent
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 5:31:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Good luck!
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 5:37:13 PM EDT
[#5]
What kind of cancer?

Link Posted: 1/11/2006 5:41:28 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
What kind of cancer?

I'm not up on the types, but we found out today it may be in the stomach in addition to other female areas.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 5:42:51 PM EDT
[#7]

A prayer was sent
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 4:40:25 AM EDT
[#8]
Prayers sent - may she and all of your family be well, happy, and at peace.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 4:42:17 AM EDT
[#9]
So sorry. She will be in our prayers
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 4:52:13 AM EDT
[#10]
Prayers inbound.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 5:02:04 AM EDT
[#11]

Sorry to hear the bad news.

I hope she kicks the snot out of that nasty stuff.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 5:13:47 AM EDT
[#12]
martinmayhem,

Prayers sent on her behalf!  Can you give a first name?
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 5:14:38 AM EDT
[#13]
Prayers sent!

Stay strong.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 2:46:58 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
martinmayhem,

Prayers sent on her behalf!  Can you give a first name?

Thanks everone.  It is very appreciated!

Her name is Joan.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 2:34:59 AM EDT
[#15]
Found out last night it is terminal and if it can be put in remission, she will have 6 to 12 months.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 2:53:33 AM EDT
[#16]
Both of my parents died of cancer when I was a teenager.  It's tough.  They died at home; we cared for them the best we could.  My sister was and still is an RN so we provided them with the best care possible.  This was in the early 1970's.

The point I'm trying to make is this.  She is dying, but don't treat her like she is anything less than a whole person.  Every day from now on is a gift.  Treasure the time you have left with her.  Keep her comfortable and afloat in love.  Talk about good things and good times.  We tend to treat sick people as if they are separate from us becuase of all the pills, bandages, smells, etc.  

Though she has cancer, don't just see the cancer, see the person.  Obviously plans have to be made.  If she hasn't already arranged her affairs, she will need help.  Y'all will know when this topic will need to be brought up.  

Being a care-giver is very hard on a person.  I took care of my mom by myself at times.  I was a sr. in HS.  It can leave you with emotional scars.  Ask for help.  

Hospice is a great system that provides in-home care.  My sis is a hospice administrator.  She would tell you that if you get on with a hospice, to be choosy with who you allow in your home.  Some hospice workers are great and some are crummy.  Be picky.

The mourning has already started.  Accept that.  Death is part of life.  You will have times that you will want to scream and curse God.  That's okay because God understands.  Do what you can to avoid dramatic emotional events in front of your mom, but crying is okay.

Some well-meaning people will tell you that if you just had enough faith, if you pray the right words, if you really were close to God, that your mom would be healed immediately.  Don't buy into that.  Jesus healed the sick so that the people around Him would believe what He was saying.  The healing that God wants us to have is in our hearts.

Love yourself and be gentle toward yourself.  Don't feel that you can't laugh and smile at these times.  You won't come out of this unscathed but you don't have to be broken forever either.  This will change you.  Try to make it change you into a person with a gentler heart.

I pray God's richest and heart-healingest blessing on you, your Mom, and your friends and family.  Someday we will be restored and all together again.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 3:58:13 AM EDT
[#17]
martinmayhem,
Joan is in our prayers along with the family.  If she is not affiliated with a church/synagogue in her area it would help to contact a church of her denomination and have a minister/rabbi contact her.  Since you asked for prayer I am assuming that you have some background in or are open with spiritual matters.  She needs to me ministered to spiritually.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 7:59:12 AM EDT
[#18]

I hope she knows the Lord Jesus.

CRC
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 8:20:58 AM EDT
[#19]
My condolences to you and your family.  I hope that she doesn't suffer long and is in as little pain as possible.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 10:32:18 AM EDT
[#20]
martinmayhem: I wish Joan a speedy recovery, but if that is not possible, please remind the wife all of those good times past.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 10:34:59 AM EDT
[#21]
prayers sent.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 10:36:10 AM EDT
[#22]
En route. Be well Joan.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 10:40:58 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Found out last night it is terminal and if it can be put in remission, she will have 6 to 12 months.

This is how I lost my mother and she was only 40.  Prayers sent.

God bless,

Shok
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 10:43:20 AM EDT
[#24]
Prayed.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top