Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/30/2003 7:21:23 AM EDT
Been a lot of different views here in regards to hunting, so poll to follow !
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 7:31:42 AM EDT
[#1]
You left one out..."Used to hunt but don't anymore".  I'm not against hunting but at the moment don't want to participate...
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 7:33:42 AM EDT
[#2]
I don't hunt, but I don't care if anyone else does...
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 7:33:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Im relatively new to hunting (only ducks, pheasant, dove and black tail in the past couple years) and I enjoy it. For a Christmas present, some family friends in California put me in a drawing for an antelope tag in Wyoming.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 7:35:08 AM EDT
[#4]
please add to the poll

"I wouldnt know my arse from a bullet hole, therefore, I cant believe you could look those cuddly animals in the eye and then shoot them."

NEWS FLASH:  Humans are predators.  Guess where the hamburger you ate for lunch came from?  A hunter who decided to round up a bunch of game animals and breed them in enclosures so he would have a more effecient means of killing them.  Effectively reducing a large % of the population to "hunters of can openers".  Damn whiney pussies who bitch and complain about hunting FUCK YOU.  Why dont you sit down for tea with Hillary, you make me sick.  Move to California and go swim with the sharks.  People like that should have to listen to McUzi for hours on end.  You buy a postage stamp lot in the middle of a farm field or patch of woods and complain about the all the "rural" folks killin animals and such.  Guess what you did when you built your house asshole.  Oh, and one more thing... FUCK YOU AGAIN.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 7:37:49 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
please add to the poll

"I wouldnt know my arse from a bullet hole, therefore, I cant believe you could look those cuddly animals in the eye and then shoot them."

NEWS FLASH:  Humans are predators.  Guess where the hamburger you ate for lunch came from?  A hunter who decided to round up a bunch of game animals and breed them in enclosures so he would have a more effecient means of killing them.  Effectively reducing a large % of the population to "hunters of can openers".  Damn whiney pussies who bitch and complain about hunting FUCK YOU.  Why dont you sit down for tea with Hillary, you make me sick.  Move to California and go swim with the sharks.  People like that should have to listen to McUzi for hours on end.  You buy a postage stamp lot in the middle of a farm field or patch of woods and complain about the all the "rural" folks killin animals and such.  Guess what you did when you built your house asshole.  Oh, and one more thing... FUCK YOU AGAIN.
View Quote
Have another cup of coffee, but this time make it decaf please.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 7:39:29 AM EDT
[#6]
how about none of the above? I don't hunt now, although I would like to in the future and just completed the hunter safety class. I don't really feel comfortable though just going out in the woods as a newbie, since I'm not going to kill something that I won't know how to clean properly and eat. I would like to go out west and do some varmint hunting though. [;D]
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 7:39:59 AM EDT
[#7]
I do very little hunting.  I don't like to sit in one place.  Crows are my favorite.  

The lion thing is fine if it has been determined that the population needs to be thinned.  Better that than to starve.  
However I would not shoot a big cat.  I admire them too much.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 7:40:18 AM EDT
[#8]
I like pie!

[:D]
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 7:40:48 AM EDT
[#9]
You should have added another choice:

"Hunting is the original and still by far the grandest of all sports, fit for a king but available to the peasant, an excercise of body, mind, and spirit, a provider of adrenaline rushes only matched by the other societal essentials: mating and fighting."

Of course, I could be wrong.

Link Posted: 12/30/2003 7:42:09 AM EDT
[#10]
Hunting makes me a part of the circle of life in a way that would be unachievable otherwise. It is also far more humane that raising animals in crowded pens and slaughtering them. THAT is what should be outlawed.

That being said, the way some people hunt does really piss me off and will lead to the eventual end of the sport.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 7:43:56 AM EDT
[#11]

I've hunted ever since I was old enough to carry a gun on my own.

I'm not a "trophy" hunter. About the only things I'll kill and not eat are varmints such as coyotes, and those damn pesky raccoons.

Link Posted: 12/30/2003 7:44:42 AM EDT
[#12]
I hunt.

But it does not bother me that others don't.

My children love fresh deer meat. And I love providing it for them. [:D]

Link Posted: 12/30/2003 7:45:27 AM EDT
[#13]
What about "I don't hunt, but will hunt in the future"?
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 7:46:15 AM EDT
[#14]
I live for bow hunting.
[IMG]http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b3cc26b3127cce83dc5ce7009c0000001610[/IMG]
[IMG]http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b3cf36b3127cce8215fbc4ede10000001610[/IMG]
[IMG]http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b3cf36b3127cce8215fb9b6c8e0000001610[/IMG]
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 7:48:26 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 7:49:00 AM EDT
[#16]
That poll reads like an anti wrote it.

I dont hunt, but i understand why people do and have no problem with it.  killing is just preditors do.  besides in our modern world we need to comtrol the population of the other animals.     Besides i'd like to try hunting someday, i just havent gotten around to it yet.

Ben, The_Emu
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 7:50:04 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

"Hunting is the original and still by far the grandest of all sports, fit for a king but available to the peasant, an excercise of body, mind, and spirit, a provider of adrenaline rushes only matched by the other societal essentials: mating and fighting."

View Quote

Here in Ohio it is the sport of the RICH.
16.00 hunting license
10.00 fur taker permit
40.deer permit x2
40.00 turkey permit x2
11.00 Wetland duck stamp
15.00 Federal duck stamp

total 132.00 for hunting permits, now add the shotgun 400.00 box of shell 10.00 gas and misc 25.00

A turkey can cost you ---a lot
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 7:54:47 AM EDT
[#18]
Hunting lic for Ohio Landowners $0
Deer tags for Ohio Landowners $0
Turkey Tags for Ohio Landowners $0
(That is if you hunt on your own land)

You got me on the duck stamps and I dont know about the furbearers for landowners!

Otherwise, you are just out the cost of your hunting equipment!!
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 7:54:57 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
[red]That poll reads like an anti wrote it.[/red]

I dont hunt, but i understand why people do and have no problem with it.  killing is just preditors do.  besides in our modern world we need to comtrol the population of the other animals.     Besides i'd like to try hunting someday, i just havent gotten around to it yet.

Ben, The_Emu
View Quote
Well I confess, I wrote it knowing that if your a anti hunter type of person, no matter what is said, you will remain a anti hunter person, there is no changing the mind of those people. As a  matter of fact I do not expect them to have the stones to even reply in this post.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 7:57:00 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Hunting lic for Ohio Landowners $0
Deer tags for Ohio Landowners $0
Turkey Tags for Ohio Landowners $0
(That is if you hunt on your own land)

You got me on the duck stamps and I dont know about the furbearers for landowners!

Otherwise, you are just out the cost of your hunting equipment!!
View Quote

Yes I have land in Sourthern Ohio I hunt, I still buy the permits for when I hunt off of that land though, as it is in the middle of the Wayne National Forest.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 8:04:47 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
You left one out..."Used to hunt but don't anymore".  I'm not against hunting but at the moment don't want to participate...
View Quote

This is me. I used to hunt and enjoyed it. I don't any more.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 8:05:33 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

16.00 hunting license
10.00 fur taker permit
40.deer permit x2
40.00 turkey permit x2
11.00 Wetland duck stamp
15.00 Federal duck stamp

total 132.00 for hunting permits, now add the shotgun 400.00 box of shell 10.00 gas and misc 25.00

View Quote

First, you edited your post before I could respond. But you're telling me you bought fed+state waterfowl stamps, plus furbearer/deer stamps, to kill a turkey?

Was that $400 dollar shotgun disposable?

Next, a trick question:

Are you going to respond to everyone who poses trick questions?

Finally, try this:

used single-shot 12 gauge...$75
box of turkey loads.........$8
hunting permits for two turkeys $96
Gas..............................$10

Now you're down to less than $100 per turkey, and you've still got the shotgun and a coupla shells left.

I didn't say hunting was free. You can make it cost whatever you want. I spend about a third of my income every year on it.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 8:06:58 AM EDT
[#23]
i hunt grouse and deer..sort of.  i can't stand sitting so i just go and walk around.  i want to get into coyote hunting and would really like to go prarie dog shooting as well as hog/boar.  

i love just walking around out there but i need a purpose, that's where hunting comes in.  good exercise for the dog too.

i fish a lot too, i love fishing.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 8:07:06 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

16.00 hunting license
10.00 fur taker permit
40.deer permit x2
40.00 turkey permit x2
11.00 Wetland duck stamp
15.00 Federal duck stamp

View Quote

As far as hobbies go. That looks like a bargain to me.

I mean, take golf for example. You could spend more than that in one weekend. And I bet golf balls taste like shit. [:D]

And sure, If you want to be on a lease that has monster bucks on it. Like down in south Texas. It will cost you thousands of dollars.

But I prefer hunting the national forests of east Texas anyways. Where it only cost $35.00 a year for a permit. It is more of a realistic hunt. And there are some very large bucks there as well.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 8:13:50 AM EDT
[#25]
it is ABNORMAL...
for man not to hunt...
period.

under rules fo fair chase, of course.

Link Posted: 12/30/2003 8:16:19 AM EDT
[#26]
I love to hunt. But I find catch & release fishing to be barbaric. If you are going to eat the fish fine, but tormenting him and then releasing him only to torment him again just seems wrong.
It would be like tranquilizing Elk, binding them up moving them and releasing them  every week.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 8:19:57 AM EDT
[#27]
You forgot one, I have never hunted---- and yet i understand it.

I've always want to though, just never had the opertunity.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 8:22:05 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

under rules fo fair chase, of course.

View Quote

That is the key for me.  Unfortunately most people around here believe hunting is showing up to the feeder on opening morning.  Everyone loads up the 12-foot trailer with two 4-wheelers, every cooler they own, load down the diesel duallie F-350, put on every piece of camo that Cabela's sells and head to the lease.  They sneak out to the blind and wait for Babmbi to show up to the feeder he's been eating from all year long.  Once the "hunter" recovers a bit from his hangover, BAM!!!  Now that is real sporting.  That is just called killing.  I like hunting but I like it to be a bit of a challenge.  Wild (not released from a cage) quail, now that's a challenge.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 8:23:25 AM EDT
[#29]
I hunt and find it perfectly acceptable.  Like everything else, though, there are the few idiot slob hunters who ignore rules and are not concerned with clean kills that give the rest of us bad names.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 8:24:57 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
how about none of the above? I don't hunt now, although I would like to in the future and just completed the hunter safety class. I don't really feel comfortable though just going out in the woods as a newbie, since I'm not going to kill something that I won't know how to clean properly and eat. I would like to go out west and do some varmint hunting though. [;D]
View Quote

What he said.

Link Posted: 12/30/2003 8:25:20 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I don't hunt, but I don't care if anyone else does...
View Quote

I don't either.  Mainly because I don't have a large freezer to store the meat, so there is no ethical reason to hunt in my case.  Everyone else can do whatever they want.  This poll needs more selections, or less direct answers to give a more realistic output.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 8:27:07 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I love to hunt. But I find catch & release fishing to be barbaric. If you are going to eat the fish fine, but tormenting him and then releasing him only to torment him again just seems wrong.
It would be like tranquilizing Elk, binding them up moving them and releasing them  every week.
View Quote

While the two may be similar. The main difference between Fishing and Hunting is that you usually can not target specific individual fish. Therefore some should be released.

But as soon as you figure out a way to mount a scope on a rod and reel, And target only the fish I want to keep. I will gladly help you become a millionaire. [rolleyes]
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 8:35:50 AM EDT
[#33]
I would say that I have hunted and enjoyed it, but now that the land on which my friends and I used to hunt has been sold, it's far too much trouble for me to keep it up.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 8:38:36 AM EDT
[#34]
I eat whatever I kill.

And for OUBeta (and his sweatshirt):

[url]http://www.chiomega.com/chiomega/[/url]

Chi O, Chi O, its off to bed we go, I paid my buck, I want to fu*k, Chi O, Chi O, Chi O!

I thought you were a Beta...
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 8:46:08 AM EDT
[#35]
my girlfriend is a Chi-Ho,
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 8:50:57 AM EDT
[#36]
From ArmedAggie:

Unfortunately most people around here believe hunting is showing up to the feeder on opening morning. Everyone loads up the 12-foot trailer with two 4-wheelers, every cooler they own, load down the diesel duallie F-350, put on every piece of camo that Cabela's sells and head to the lease. They sneak out to the blind and wait for Babmbi to show up to the feeder he's been eating from all year long. Once the "hunter" recovers a bit from his hangover, BAM!!! Now that is real sporting. That is just called killing.
View Quote

What he said.  That bears re-reading.  Aggie, you summed up my pet hunting peeve perfectly.  I don't even watch half the "hunting" shows on TV anymore because they're just product endorsements/ads wrappped around a 5-minute "stalk" and shoot.  The best are the "blackpowder" guys with the 21th century buck rodgers deathray muzzleloader that gets 1 MOA.  That shit is ridiculous.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 8:51:12 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
That poll reads like an anti wrote it.
View Quote

Ain't THAT the truth!

I've never hunted, nor do I think I have the stomach for it. That said, I'd like to learn how so that if the SHTF, I can feed myself and mine.

I have no issues with others hunting provided it is done safely, humanely, and in a manner that does not deplete our natural resources.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 8:54:10 AM EDT
[#38]
I only hunt things that I intend to eat.

I think it is my responsibility to only take game in an amount which I can realistically eat.

I think it is my reponsibility to make a clean, fast humane kill.

I do not condone [s]hunting[/s] killing ONLY for the sake of hanging a fucking head on your fucking wall.  

Originally posted by Armed Aggie:
Unfortunately most people around here believe hunting is showing up to the feeder on opening morning. Everyone loads up the 12-foot trailer with two 4-wheelers, every cooler they own, load down the diesel duallie F-350, put on every piece of camo that Cabela's sells and head to the lease. They sneak out to the blind and wait for Babmbi to show up to the feeder he's been eating from all year long. Once the "hunter" recovers a bit from his hangover, BAM!!! Now that is real sporting. That is just called killing.
View Quote

Agree 100%. It's much more intense to have to learn the ways of your prey and "think" like it in order to find it. Turkey hunters know what I mean. The brain dead redneck Mossy-Oak Moron crowd (At least wear Camo that WORKS, Please????) and their "Buuurp, Hic, "Thar's a dayum deeer, let's KIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIILL him!..." shit just pisses me off to no end, and unfortunately for me, 99% of the "hunters" here in my part of Alabama are of the Mossy-Oak Moron persuasion. It's really rather pathetic.

I probably let twenty deer walk in a season for every one I kill. Some days, it's just about getting close and watching them. I've spent hours sitting quietly under a tree and watched deer come and go.  I've had a red-tail hawk land in a branch literally three feet from my head and then try to stare me down as if saying "What the Hell are YOU???" Watched a Mama quail run her babies across a grass clearing and into the brush one by one.

Cool Shit. Those that don't get hunting will never understand it, and the environmentalist tree-hugging fuckstick whackos could wish they were so lucky to see such a thing, but they're too busy demonstrating in the fucking city to actually get out and see the environment. Dickheads.

Nature is cool, but far more cruel than my .308 to the head or vitals when it comes to death. Beats hell out of starving to death, which is what deer do if they aren't thinned by predation. And, like it or not, man IS a predator.

So I say, Kill it and Grill it. It's good food, basically free,  and far better for you than store bought meat...ALthough there ain't nothin' wrong with a nice medium rare Porterhouse, either...LOL.

SG

Link Posted: 12/30/2003 8:56:13 AM EDT
[#39]
I dont hunt, mainly because none of my friends or family do.  But I have nothing against it, nor do I finding myself yearning to hunt.  I'm totally neutral on it.

I'm not like my best friend, whom I showed that photo of that Dodge Ram SUV that struck a deer at high speed, sending the buck through the windshield into the cab.  It was an amazing photo, but viewing it my friend said "I dont understand this need to hunt.  Can't we get our meat at the supermarket?"

I said "Erik, there are easier ways to hunt deer than with your truck.  This was an accident." [rolleyes]
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 10:24:19 AM EDT
[#40]
Hi cyanide,
Can't answer the poll as none of the answers reflects my views.
I don't hunt, I doubt that I ever will.  It's just not my thing.  I don't object to other people hunting, however.
The central tragedy of life is that things die so other things may live.  There's no getting around this.  I like to remind vegetarians that THE primary threat faced by wildlife around the globe is the loss of habitat caused by the expansion of farm land.
I have a spiritual path that I try to follow as well as my own private thoughts and feelings about the necessity for things to die in order that my life continue.  We all have to find our own way and deal with reality.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 10:41:34 AM EDT
[#41]
The older I get, the less species I hunt. It's pretty much down to grouse and deer. My days of centerfire deer hunting are over- bow and blackpowder only. Just getting out is enough for me. I could care less if I ever kill another animal again. In a few years I can see myself armed with only a camera.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 10:46:53 AM EDT
[#42]
I Think here we have a very serious problem of hunter's NOT following the law of the land, I have no problem with hunter's hunting for meat plus the head. be able to use much of the deer has possible, Here they drive in cars with high powered rifles and drive until they find one and shoot it from a car or truck then on top of that they hunt during the night for them with spotlights and when they shoot them they leave it lay for the buzzards. that is not hunting that is being just plain stupid should not be able to possess a firearm for the stupid shit these guys pull Ive witness the poching all the time,  I got soooooooo pissed at one deer hunter for shooting a really nice buck, a 10 pointer less than 200 yards from his own stand left it lay because he did not want to have to deal with it. see it every year. one year I walked out to my truck when I got to the door BAMMMMM! Wtf! I seen this jeep stop, then fired; left the deer too. Ive hunted most of my adult life.

And even some occasion's they even shoot each other. one shooting happen when this bowhunter left the woods this guy shot him with a 12G slug threw the arm.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 10:54:11 AM EDT
[#43]
When I was in Yakima WA, I switched to Coyote hunting.  Nobody out in the woods except me!  Ended up most of the time enjoying the beautiful view of the Cascades and the outdoors.  Occasionally, I would smoke a Coyote with my .220 Swift, Mr. Coyote never knew what hit him!!!!

One time freezing my nads off, I turned around from my hide and say a herd of at least 100 Elk with the biggest BULL I have ever seen.  Stopped the hunt and enjoyed watching them move on through.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 11:31:53 AM EDT
[#44]
I like to kill things. Don't much care how.
We, as Human Beings, are born predators. Our brain is our deadliest weapon and I have no problem using any (legal)technology or methodology that brain has come up with. As one gentleman pointed out, domestication is just a more efficient form of hunting.

I make no apologies.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 11:35:19 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
.... when they shoot them they leave it lay for the buzzards. that is not hunting that is being just plain stupid should not be able to possess a firearm for the stupid shit these guys pull Ive witness the poching all the time,  I got soooooooo pissed at one deer hunter for shooting a really nice buck, a 10 pointer less than 200 yards from his own stand left it lay because he did not want to have to deal with it. see it every year. one year I walked out to my truck when I got to the door BAMMMMM! Wtf! I seen this jeep stop, then fired; left the deer too.
View Quote

Those are good ways to piss me off quick. I can see leaving varmints or hunting for trophies, but totally wasting such a gift is totally irresponsible.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 11:40:32 AM EDT
[#46]
I enjoy hunting.  All I have time for anymore is Deer hunting in the fall and shooting graounhogs in the spring. But I used to hunt Bear, squirrel, Rabbitts, & Grouse too.  I would like to hunt Wild Boar, but would insist on a free ranging boar type animal. Not a fenced "feral hog" that looks like a farm sow.  

Big cats never appealed to me, I guess having pet cats as a kid made me a big softy. But I am sometimes required to hunt mountain lions at work, black bear, coyotes, and deer too. These animals end up in the suburbs and equestrian centers way too much, then some moron calls 911, and we have to do the dirty work.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 12:49:46 PM EDT
[#47]
I guess you would call me a "meat hunter". I only hunt what I eat, deer and turkeys. I'm not keen on the idea of trophy hunting unless the animal is consumed, but since I'm not the boss of you and if the animal is not near extinction, I will mind my own business.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 12:50:26 PM EDT
[#48]
I love it!

I started the season with a nice cow elk, followed up with a four point mulie, and then capped off the season with an awesome six point bull.  Best year I ever had.  

Oh yeah, the freezer full of meat is a nice bonus (Mad cow -- what's that????) We won't be eating any beef for a while!
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 1:13:44 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I dont hunt, mainly because none of my friends or family do.  But I have nothing against it, nor do I finding myself yearning to hunt.  I'm totally neutral on it.
View Quote

Ditto. With the addition that I might consider going hunting if a friend invited me.

Some may consider it a SHTF thing, but if the S ever HTF, millions of people will run from the cities to the nearest woods to "hunt" anything that moves, and there won't be anything left before long.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 1:41:15 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top