Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/10/2005 6:47:49 AM EDT
Long story short.  I lived in an apt for a year, moved back home with the parents for 1.5 years, stored all my stuff in Public Storage, and was going to pick it up this weekend to move it into my new house I'm working on.

I get a piece of mail from the storeage place yesterday, figured I forgot to pay the $150/month bill for my 15x15 climate control space.  Nope, the letter said that my space was missing the lock.  So me and mom go to check it out, get up there, talk to the guy and he said there was a break in last thursday.  Why they sent me a letter instead of calling me is beyond me.  

We drive down to my storage place (that I haven't opened in a year and a half). Opened up their temporary lock and half my stuff's gone.  I had a $1,500 washer dryer, a $900 pillowtop matress set, and a set of 3 crate and barrel barstools that ran me $150 each.  That was what was stolen, for some reason they left my $2,500 dollar sofa.  They also took the matress to my futon which was dirty and not of any value, but would have made a good spare bedroom place for a friend to crash out on.

Come to find out, I took out an insurance policy for $3,000 when I signed the lease, as I was mostly worried about moisture, bugs tearing up my expensive sofa and matress set.  We get back into the main building and they hand me their insurance waiver, which states that they only cover %50 percent of the stolen property.

QUESTION:  %50 of the receipts is going to still leave me in a hole.  Since all of my stuff in there was bought as a work bonus and xmas gift on my father's credit card, can he use his homeowners ins to cover this?  They have a set of super high end $3,500 washer/dryer that I could use the receipt on to make up for what I'm going to lose, instead of the receipt on my washer dryer?  I've on track to be over budget on my own house and this has just really pissed me off and I can't take a loss on this.

BTW: I also talked to another guy who got his stuff stolen who was in there the same time as me.  They took 2 generations of family photos and a bunch of other family items that were worthless to you and me but I'm he was sure upset.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 6:54:11 AM EDT
[#1]
yeah and your stuff is probably in another storage locker in the sane complex. the thieves usually rent one and break into others and move the stolen stuff into theirs, then they can move it out al their leisure instead of in the middle of the night.

doesn't your place video monitor the aisles??
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 1:55:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Check out your insurance policy thouroughly.  If you bought it from the storage place you may be SOL.  Most storage places will not pay for anything stolen unless there is damage to the storage property itself.  If the lock was just cut off, they will not pay.  They say they don't have to because you provide your own lock and they have no control over who you give the key too, or what kind of lock you put on there.  A friend of mine had his crap stolen out of a storage place, and they wouldn't pay him anything because only his lock was cut off, and there was no damage to the door.

Hopefully PS is different.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 2:13:18 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
They have a set of super high end $3,500 washer/dryer that I could use the receipt on to make up for what I'm going to lose, instead of the receipt on my washer dryer?

That is called fraud, and it is a crime. You going to file a false police report too? Usually it is required to file a theft claim. You might not get caught, you might wind up sharing a cell with your new boyfriend bubba in County too.

I'm sorry you took out a shitty insurance policy. Hopefully you've learned to insure your stuff appropriately next time.

People never cease to disappoint me.

Link Posted: 8/10/2005 3:54:18 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
yeah and your stuff is probably in another storage locker in the sane complex. the thieves usually rent one and break into others and move the stolen stuff into theirs, then they can move it out al their leisure instead of in the middle of the night.

doesn't your place video monitor the aisles??

That explains the letter.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top