Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 5/20/2005 12:52:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/20/2005 12:53:23 PM EDT by DocGun]
My soon to be 18 year old son is thinking about enlisting in the Coast Guard and I'm all for it. Any feedback from members with Coast Guard experience? Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 1:31:03 AM EDT
I am not a member of the CG . I do however have five years of experience being a CG dependent .I also have ten years of experience living ten miles from the largest operational CG base in the world .
Those experiences have taught me that as a whole I do not have a very high opinion of the Coast Guard . I do how ever have tremendous amounts of respect for certain rates with in the guard for what they do .I also highly respect many ( Not all!!) individual members that I personally know .If you have questions I will do my best to answer them honestly for you in IM .

I also know there are a few current and former members lurking .
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 1:48:07 AM EDT
What field is he thinking about pursuing. The Coasties out of Alaska almost always win the Naval Helicopter Association's Aircrew of the Year for a single action award. Their winning rescue report normally reads like something out of "Perfect Storm". Nothing but respect for the USCG helo crews here.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 2:00:19 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/21/2005 2:01:03 AM EDT by Mr45auto]
My step son is considering being a coastie as well. Right now he needs to do something, it's better than working dead end jobs that he's been doing. I've tried to get him interested in the Army, Marines, AF, and even the navy but he's just too damned lazy and enjoys pissing me off. I told him one way or another he's moving out. He's 18 and been out of HS for a year. Time to leave the nest.... yesterday. Hopefully the CG will get him at least a little more squared away. *IF* he actually follows through with it. I suppose it could be worse, he could be a stoner or gangsta type.

I told him to ask to be on an icebreaker in AK it'll be fun
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 3:27:18 AM EDT
Well... I was a puddle pirate many moons ago back when they came under DOT. Here's my $.02 I'm pretty sure if he were to the CG route it wouldn't be a bad move. They have excellant schools, good advancment oppertunities. I picked CG cause I knew the one place I didn't want to be was on a carrier. I think their mission may be a bit differant now that they are homeland defence. What rate does he want to be?
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 6:10:40 AM EDT
We're going to talk to a recruiter next week. I just hope he follows through on it.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 6:30:49 AM EDT
I have been in the Coast Guard almost 6 years and have enjoyed it. No regrets. I will be leaving active duty this year and am staying in the reserves, going to finish college. Typically the people you see bad mouthing organizations have some personal beef due to getting kicked or something. I am an Electronics Technician, kind of boring but at my current unit I have worked a 35 hour week monday through friday the last 4 years and take home $3000 a month after all is said and done, not bad. The main advantage I found with the Coast Guard was that there are literally thousands of different locations and units you can be assigned to. Almost in every state and there are lots different jobs, from cooking to performing LE tasks. I would take it over any other service but that is just my biased opinion. IM me if you have any other questions.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 6:35:36 AM EDT

Originally Posted By DocGun:
We're going to talk to a recruiter next week. I just hope he follows through on it.

To echo DryDock above, what does he want to be in the CG ?? Next step is what will his scores allow him to be be ?? And the next is does the CG need new people for that job ??

5sub
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 6:38:54 AM EDT
I know someone who loved it. He still would be in now but he rescued a suicide swimmer in Lake Superior
in the winter and had water in his lungs so he received an Honerable Dis.
To this day CG is all he talks about. If I knew how cool CG duty was when
I was out of school I would have joined.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 6:40:49 AM EDT

Originally Posted By H46Driver:
What field is he thinking about pursuing. The Coasties out of Alaska almost always win the Naval Helicopter Association's Aircrew of the Year for a single action award. Their winning rescue report normally reads like something out of "Perfect Storm". Nothing but respect for the USCG helo crews here.

+1 I did some contract work for CG District 17 in Juneau...great bunch of guys!
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 6:42:47 AM EDT
I just wanted to add that I don't mean to make it sound like a cake job as it may seem from my post above, I spent a year on a 210' cutter and it was a lot of hard workand fun as well. I am in a land-based support type job now, like yoeman or storekeepers, so it is more lax and I go home every night.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 7:25:28 AM EDT
Lots of exciting deployment now days. We have USCG patrolling waters in the middle east oil lanes.

Drug interdiction teams in Flordia!

Lots more fun than patroling Lake Erie looking for lost Canadians!

Link Posted: 5/21/2005 7:30:59 AM EDT
I was a (MK) Machinery Technician we worked on pretty much everything that was engineering. It was a very well rounded rate if you have any desire to work on machinery, and has served me well in civi life.
IM's welcome
Top Top