Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
1/22/2020 12:12:56 PM
Posted: 10/3/2007 11:22:44 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/12/2007 9:01:17 AM EST by Angelshare1]
Do any of you work with workaholics? I work with two of them. Okay so we have our busy time of the month where we have to work a few 13 hour days, but the rest of the month is a standard 40 hour week. My supervisor works about 60 hours a week though on the slow weeks. I don't know what the heck he does when he comes in early and stays late and works from home. It kind of hurts the moral of the department because the rest of us feel guilty because these guys can't get their work done in the normal 40 hours.

To me, you should be able to do your job in 40 hours or else you are not working efficiently. And we aren't efficient either. We work on band-aid solutions rather than process improvement. To busy with treatments to deal with the cure.

Any of you get into that situation where all the time is spent on fixing problems rather than preventing them? It's like these people would have no meaning to their lives if everything flowed smoothly the first time and there were no fires to put out. Anyways, thanks for listening to my rant.

Oh BTW, my job is an accountant at a public company.
Link Posted: 10/3/2007 11:25:44 AM EST

Originally Posted By Angelshare1:

To me, you should be able to do your job in 40 hours or else you are not working efficiently.

What if "all the work" cannot be completed in 40 hours?

Like for example, how do you legally drive 3,500 miles in a 40 hour work week?
Link Posted: 10/3/2007 11:27:07 AM EST
Before your last sentence, I was sure you are talking about working in a software dev shop.

Seriously though, totally agree with you. There are so much things I got to do to be at work more than I have to.

Work smarter, not harder, is my motto.
Link Posted: 10/3/2007 11:27:20 AM EST
Is this your first day in corporate america? What you described is SOP at most places. That or you are a slacker and they are working extra to cover your ass. Or they are hourly and like the extra money from the O.T.
Link Posted: 10/3/2007 11:29:18 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/3/2007 11:29:58 AM EST by RealFastV6]
At my last job I was working about 15 hours per week. I was at my desk about 30.

At this job I'm at my desk about 55, and working about 50. Though I expect that in about 6-8 months when I'm done cleaning house it'll be down to 15/30 again.
Link Posted: 10/3/2007 11:29:40 AM EST
It's like that in my company. There are people that come in at 7:45AM, stay till 7pm, and then work from home.

I do more work than they do, and come in at 8:30 and leave at 5:30. I offer to help those that are backed up, and I leave on time.

Some people just don't know how to manage their time, and you have to deal with that if you're like me and can multitask and know when to work and when you can goof off.

Link Posted: 10/3/2007 11:32:48 AM EST
Hell, yes. There's a little subculture in my company (in middle management) where they seem to respond to an entire week's e-mails on Satuday night and all day Sunday. I refuse to be impressed by that. (Ooh, look how hard I'm working.) I tell my people to get a life, that you don't run a marathon at a dead sprint, and they're too valuable to burn out. Crisis mode is burnout mode.

Sounds like your boss doesn't have a good handle on the workload or how to fix things, or he's surfing pr0n. As long as you get your decent reviews . . . (shrug)
Link Posted: 10/3/2007 11:34:19 AM EST
quit posting on arfcom and get back to adding numbers!
Link Posted: 10/3/2007 11:39:32 AM EST

Originally Posted By vim:
Crisis mode is burnout mode.

Way too fucking true. Spent 4 years as an netadmin in the Navy; we never got out of crisis mode because the fuckers would never let us take a step back and improve the processes at all... any advice up the chain got ignored and it always seemed only the idiots got promoted while those of us who actually knew what we were doing got shafted on evals left, right, and center because we were too busy actually fixing stuff instead of ramming our noses into other people's asses.

*sigh*
Link Posted: 10/3/2007 11:40:08 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/3/2007 11:48:45 AM EST by TheCynic]

To me, you should be able to do your job in 40 hours or else you are not working efficiently.

I'll give you an example: In our current software project, our design called for 12 high-level components. We have three engineers: a principal, a senior (me), and a junior developer.
The principal was tasked with three of the components, the junior was tasked with one of the components, and I was tasked with EIGHT of the components.

I do the work of three engineers, so when I work 60+ hour weeks, I figure that I am actually twice as efficient as most engineers.
Link Posted: 10/3/2007 11:41:42 AM EST
Are you saying that all professional jobs should be doable in 40 hrs a week?
Link Posted: 10/3/2007 11:41:57 AM EST
Maybe you should be less concerned about your boss and his work ethic and start being more concerned about your own.

In the meantime, I'll be waiting for your followup post titled, "My rant on being passed up for a raise and a promotion AGAIN".
Link Posted: 10/3/2007 11:43:27 AM EST

Originally Posted By BenDover:
Maybe you should be less concerned about your boss and his work ethic and start being more concerned about your own.

In the meantime, I'll be waiting for your followup post titled, "My rant on being passed up for a raise and a promotion AGAIN".

Ownage!!!
Link Posted: 10/3/2007 11:44:20 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/3/2007 11:45:02 AM EST by vrwc0915]

Please....

If there is work to be done I will do it, I will not spend one second on busy work or ass kissing there are weeks I work 70 hours there are weeks where I work 20

In my field if you are constantly busy it means you are doing a poor job
Link Posted: 10/3/2007 11:45:24 AM EST
Link Posted: 10/3/2007 11:46:29 AM EST

Good points but I do work with some people who want to show that they put in thier "hours" rather than actually working.

And one tech here hates his wife, so he works as much as he can.
Link Posted: 10/3/2007 11:46:53 AM EST

Originally Posted By nationwide:

What if "all the work" cannot be completed in 40 hours?

Like for example, how do you legally drive 3,500 miles in a 40 hour work week?

hmmmm......You're just good, right?
Link Posted: 10/3/2007 11:51:20 AM EST

Originally Posted By vrwc0915:

Please....

If there is work to be done I will do it, I will not spend one second on busy work or ass kissing there are weeks I work 70 hours there are weeks where I work 20

Won't do busy work huh?

My CEO came into the "Fishbowl" (what we have nicknamed the NOC and R&D development center) and asked me to change the lightbulbs in the women's room because his daughter left him a note telling him that there was only one functioning light and that was a problem.

I happily obliged.

He pays us 15% of our base salary every year into our SEP as a bonus, over and above a cash bonus of usually in the $10K range. My raise last year was 7.5%. He's good to us as an employer, and there's no work beneath me because as a company, our success is contingent upon the cumulative efforts of every employee.

That includes coming in on the weekend sometimes just to help out with things like cleaning or working on the property to avoid paying maintenance contract costs -- bigger bonus checks.
Link Posted: 10/3/2007 11:52:15 AM EST

Originally Posted By Storm6436:

Way too fucking true. Spent 4 years as an netadmin in the Navy; we never got out of crisis mode because the fuckers would never let us take a step back and improve the processes at all... any advice up the chain got ignored and it always seemed only the idiots got promoted while those of us who actually knew what we were doing got shafted on evals left, right, and center because we were too busy actually fixing stuff instead of ramming our noses into other people's asses.

*sigh*

That's the classic mistake in working for .gov - actually doing your job. The best strategy is a mixture of ass-kissing and making yourself enough of a problem that they have to promote you to get rid of you.
Link Posted: 10/3/2007 11:55:56 AM EST

Originally Posted By vrwc0915:

Please....

Won't do busy work huh?

My CEO came into the "Fishbowl" (what we have nicknamed the NOC and R&D development center) and asked me to change the lightbulbs in the women's room because his daughter left him a note telling him that there was only one functioning light and that was a problem.

I happily obliged.

He pays us 15% of our base salary every year into our SEP as a bonus, over and above a cash bonus of usually in the $10K range. My raise last year was 7.5%. He's good to us as an employer, and there's no work beneath me because as a company, our success is contingent upon the cumulative efforts of every employee.

That includes coming in on the weekend sometimes just to help out with things like cleaning or working on the property to avoid paying maintenance contract costs -- bigger bonus checks.

I will gladly change the light bulbs or swab the deck if it is needed, you are confusing actual work vs the apperence of work like many of what I call the "used car salsemen ring" do such as the schmosing lunches and 3 hour meetings where they discuss the current sports and golf trends
Link Posted: 10/3/2007 12:18:10 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/3/2007 12:18:29 PM EST by MillerSHO]
All of you work too much or take what you do during your day a bit too seriously.

Whatever makes you happy I guess.
Link Posted: 10/3/2007 12:23:27 PM EST

Originally Posted By MillerSHO:
All of you work too much or take what you do during your day a bit too seriously.

I can't take my job too seriously. People will get killed if I get complacent.
Link Posted: 10/3/2007 12:32:44 PM EST
RONA makes me a borderline workaholic

sure is nice when EOFY rolls around
Link Posted: 10/3/2007 12:33:12 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/3/2007 12:35:50 PM EST by fishngrits]

My supervisor works about 60 hours a week though on the slow weeks. I don't know what the heck he does when he comes in early and stays late and works from home.

Exactly. Most employees have no idea how hard their boss's job is, or how to do it. Most supervisors become supervisors, because they earned it through hard work. Let your boss's boss worry about his performance, and take care of your own.
Link Posted: 10/3/2007 12:36:43 PM EST
Why does it bother you if they like to work extra hours?
Link Posted: 10/3/2007 12:39:48 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/3/2007 12:43:16 PM EST by Essayons]

Originally Posted By dobiet:
Before your last sentence, I was sure you are talking about working in a software dev shop.

Seriously though, totally agree with you. There are so much things I got to do to be at work more than I have to.

Work smarter, not harder, is my motto.

LOL. I worked as a contractor at Microsoft for a couple years, which has a reputation for long hours. I saw a lot of people being there for long hours, but I didn't see that many people actually working all those hours. I'd rather come in, get the work done and go home.

I've done the workaholic thing. I worked almost every Saturday for two years when I practiced law, but so did my bosses. I just decided incessant 60+ hour weeks weren't for me. (Maybe it's because I'm also a CPA, so I was always aware of my hourly takehome rate ) There are all kinds of organizational cultures and gigs. If you don't like it where you're at, try something you think might suit you better.

Some of my fellow 40-something men also have more control, more fun and less stress at work than they do at home with the wife and kids. YMMV--I know mine does.

Link Posted: 10/3/2007 12:41:55 PM EST

Originally Posted By MillerSHO:

Remember that when you get in an accident and are without a car and you or a loved one is hurt and the insurance company is "dragging their feet".
Link Posted: 10/3/2007 12:47:58 PM EST
I think there is a lack of consensus on what 'workaholic' means. The one I'm thinking of was there seven days a week because he was incompetent to train and develop his staff. I swear he had people so beaten down they couldn't load paper into the copier with out him standing there saying 'now open the drawer, pick up a pack of paper, tear off the wrapper, etc.' (My boss told us if he had to hold our hands like that, he'd find someone else.) Found out he'd sneak out of church to call in and ask, 'did you do XXX....better hold off on YYY until I get there in an hour, etc. Think his wife is close to dumping him since he'd rather sit at work than home.

I don't have a problem with hard workers and people who put in long hours. It is when they are sitting there bs'ing with people at 630PM and there is no reason for the gab fest. I've walked in on them and he was talking about a tv show. Yep, that is productive.

I think they are afraid that if they don't sit there 70+ hours a week they fear the company may realize they can do without them.
Link Posted: 10/3/2007 12:53:22 PM EST
My advice: work as much as you need to get your work done and stop worrying about how much other people work. If your coworkers wanna bitch about it over lunch tell them you don't care.
Link Posted: 10/3/2007 12:57:46 PM EST

I would have laughed at that a few years ago, but since then I've experienced that burnout that seems outside one's ability to control. It just happens after a few weeks of overwork, and then suddenly staring at a wall for days seems like the only thing you want to do.
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 9:10:59 AM EST
The people I object to are the assholes that want to be at work 70 hours a week, but want to fuck around, bullshit, take long breaks and basically only accomplish 35 hours of work. Some fucking people dont want to leave work because they have nothing else to do.
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 9:12:54 AM EST
I worked 80 hrs a week for 10 years.

Now I work 10 hrs a week if aI'm lucky.

It paid off.
Top Top