Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/11/2005 5:15:21 PM EDT
My girlfriend and I  had a rottweiller for about 4 years. We got it at age 6 and we had to put it down last year at age 10. It had stomach cancer and arthritis in it back hips.

a few weeks after we put that dog down, a friend asked me if I wanted another one. So we took in another 6yo Rott. This one was the smallest Rott that we have ever had. Our last one was 130lbs and this one was about 85lbs. Just after new years eve the dog got real bloated and just didn't look good. I thought that it may have been something he ate since we did have a party that night. We waited a couple of days to see if he would pass anything but he didn't. He went from bad to worse. We took him to the vet and they xrayed him and found a mass. The determined it was cancer with a biopsy and then sent him back in for an ultrasound. they found more tumors throughout his intestine.

Now I just got this dog a year ago, fell in love with the dog. Couldn't have been a better friend and now I have to put him down.

No more Rotts for a while. especially no more used dogs. next one will be from a reputable breeder.

It probably wouldn't have been a big deal but I don't have any kids and my 2 dogs are my life. (sorta like my kids--only with four legs). I also have a toy min-pin. who is a nutcase.

Link Posted: 1/11/2005 5:18:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Damn.
My condolences.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 5:23:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Really sorry to hear that. I have two Boxers. I feel your pain.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 5:24:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Crap!

I found my Rottie walking down the road, filthy, unhealthy, completely untrained and unkept.

She's the best dog I've ever had now.

She's about 2, I dread losing her.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 5:25:30 PM EDT
[#4]
That sucks dude.... glad you put them down.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 5:25:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Sorry to hear about your dogs.

The asshats will be here soon, ignore them.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 5:30:18 PM EDT
[#6]
I'll tell you now, I was never a dog person. When I was younger my parents got me and my sister a dog and within a week it was gone since I was very allergic. I have since grown out of my allergies and I live with my girlfriend who is a dog fanatic and has owned about 8 Rotts since she was a kid.

I used to think of dogs as toys. If they break you get a new one. But now since owning and taking care of 3 dogs I completely understand how other dog owners are.

I'm gonna miss my buddy..
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 5:35:41 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Really sorry to hear that. I have two Boxers. I feel your pain.

Boxers are great dogs ... we have two of them.  

Sorry to hear about you having to put your dog down ...
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 5:42:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Its said that loosing a pet is one of the hardest things next to a family member and even harder than some family.  In any case sorry for the loss, good luck with a new dog.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 5:50:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 5:52:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Sorry for your loss...f**k the naysayers...dogs are the BEST!

When you are ready, get another...if a Rott, get a European bred dog...Dutch, Belgian or German...serious dogs, all! It will cost you about $1500 plus $600 shipping...you will be very happy you spent the bucks!
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 5:54:28 PM EDT
[#11]
sorry to hear that.

In the future I would

- keep food/water away from it until 30 min after strenuopus excercise (may not be the culprit this time, but it's good safety)

- get a damned puppy. I love working class dogs, but the bigger the bruiser, the shorter the life. avg working class is 9-11 years (though you can see 12-15 here and there) 6 is young to go for a Rott but I would hate to get attached to a dog and have 5 years optimally to enjoy my dog.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 5:58:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 5:59:45 PM EDT
[#13]
I was lucky, but I feel your pain.  My springer peed in my bed a couple time so off to the vet.  He has (had) renal failure.  It seems to be going away.  With all the tests the vet could not find any cause.  His name is Fred, and really is my best friend.  I thought I was going to lose him.  My first dog Peppy had stomach cancer and the vet was an asshole.  She died.

Here is Fred.

Link Posted: 1/11/2005 6:03:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Not sure when I will get another Rott. Definitely will be a puppy though.

Thanks for the support....

I wish I knew how to post pics....

Link Posted: 1/11/2005 6:08:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Sorry to hear that.  Our Rottie mix passed away of lymphoma on December 14.  He was our baby.  Rotties get such a bad rap, yet are such nice dogs.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 6:08:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Very sorry to hear that. I lost my 16 year old beagle in October. I had him since I was in 4th grade and it was very painful so I know what you are going through. When the time comes, could you ask your buddy to tell Brownie that I miss him?
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 6:16:13 PM EDT
[#17]
I'm really sorry to hear that. I have a rottie, who's the best friend I could possibly imagine. I can't imagine losing one let alone two.

Putting him down is the right thing to do. Your buddy depends on you to make kind, humane decisions for him...and at this point, putting him down sounds like the right thing to do for your friend.

Give him a special resting place, and if at all possible, see if you can have a vet come to your home to give him the shot. He'll be with family, calm and it's a very peaceful process.

My rottie Buddha has traveled all over the country with me. He's attacked the snowmen I build for him, swam in the Pacific chasing Canadian geese, chased bears out of my camp, been there for me every single time I needed a friend....every time. He's the only "person" who's happy every single time I come home, the only one sad every single time I leave. He can hold 3 tennis balls in his mouth at once and is more than happy to get up out of a deep sleep to "get the kitty" to stop doing some nonsense I don't feel like getting up for. He's more loyal, loving and impressive than the vast majority of people I have ever met....and he embodies qualities most humans will never achieve. He's just the best....I'm a lucky guy to have him.

My condolences to you.....gonna go hug Buddha now.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 6:17:48 PM EDT
[#18]
I am sincerely sorry to hear about your bad news.

Losing a dog is an incredibly hard thing to go through. And I've been in your shoes as far as losing two in a fairly short amount of time. Even tougher.

I can't imagine having kids to have to watch go through it as well.

Don't give up though. After you have had time to deal with it, and when your family is ready, take some time and find the right puppy.

In the meantime, take care............
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 6:21:08 PM EDT
[#19]
Sorry to hear about your Rottweiler , my mom had one that died last year  from the same cause  a terrible  way for  such a beautiful & loving  animal to go ...it was her protector  & constant companion after my Stepfather passed away ...
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 6:41:07 PM EDT
[#20]
Sorry to hear. I know just how loved a dog can be, and what a loss you must feel.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 6:48:20 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 8:41:36 PM EDT
[#22]
Man, twice in a year, or so, is rough. I thought I was a tough guy, until I had to have mine put down.
Sympathy's.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 8:48:22 PM EDT
[#23]
Sorry about your Rottie. They are great dogs. I have one who is 8 years old and she has 2 blown acl ligaments in her rear legs. She is on steroids and is able to get around pretty good. Its just a matter of time. They are so loyal and she is everywhere I am. I dont know what I would do without her. She is my best friend and protector of my family. Sorry for your loss.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v134/gun_runner/DSC00029.jpg
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 5:03:49 AM EDT
[#24]
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v230/got_guns/thor.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v230/got_guns/DSCF0055.jpg

heres a pic of my buddy and his little freind

Thor is the rott and Wee-Man is the little guy
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 5:16:50 AM EDT
[#25]
Sorry I know how you feel. I have through it too many times.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 5:21:55 AM EDT
[#26]
Sorry to hear...it's never fun coping with the loss of a pet.  I acquired my dog roaming the streets where I work, he smelled and looked like shit, nothin but skin, bones and a big ass head. He was approx. 24 in. and weighed in at 6olbs, he only grew about an inch or so since i had him but he now weighs a healthy 96lbs as of last months vet trip.    I will have him 2 years in June, best dog I ever had.  Good luck with your next pet.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 5:25:27 AM EDT
[#27]
I am sorry to hear about the loss of your buddy. He is lucky to have had a good home and a family that loved and cared for him during the last year of his life.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 6:01:39 AM EDT
[#28]

I know how you feel...

Here's daddy's girl Jasmine.

My condolences.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 6:18:54 AM EDT
[#29]
im loving the pics, especially the one with the guy in camo and the dog and shotgun, and the one with "weeman"
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 9:15:46 AM EDT
[#30]
Wee-man looks pretty tough. Does he rule the roost?? Or does Thor??
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 12:08:30 PM EDT
[#31]
Just got back form the hospital. We made the decision to put Thor down.h

Weeman definitely ruled the house, Thor was the more easy going of the 2.

Link Posted: 1/12/2005 12:13:25 PM EDT
[#32]
Sorry to hear 'bout your doggy hon.  I know exactly how ya feel about them.  They are your children, even when you do have kids!  What's important is he knew you loved him.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 12:20:17 PM EDT
[#33]
You have my sympathies...it is never an easy thing no matter if it is the right thing to do at the time or not. Good luck.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top