Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/27/2005 12:56:40 PM EDT
I've seen similar writings on the web, but I just wrote this from the heart because once in a while it hits me how blessed I am to have had such wonderful parents.

My Parents Were SCREWED-UP!!!

My parents really screwed the pooch in raising me and my siblings. As a result, we are incapable of dealing with the modern world as a "normal" person would do.

When one of us fell from a neighbor's porch, they didn't sue the neighbor's insurance company to get some spending money. Can you believe that?

When we went to college, they didn't spring for a week of debauchery in some tropical locale. How were we supposed to sew our wild oats? Or “see” the world?

When we learned to drive in high school, they didn’t buy us a shiny new car and fill it with gas. What were we supposed to hot-rod around in and impress our friends with? THEY never even had a shiny new car! What kind of life was that?

When a rated-R movie was advertised and we said we wanted to see it (actually, I’m not sure we had the guts to say that to our parents), they didn’t chauffer us to the theater and drops us off with a fifty spot. How were we supposed to learn about the dark side of life?

When we wanted to play more Atari on the one TV in the house, they told us to “go outside and play”. What were we supposed to do ‘out there’ anyways?

When we came home whining about some minor infraction against us committed by a friend, neighbor, or teacher, they didn’t threaten to sue everyone who might’ve been involved. Where was our “justice”?

When they finally decided to have “the talk” with us (long after the secret was already out of the box), they didn’t hand us condoms, or throw a party at our house and provide the booze, babes, and bedroom. How were we supposed to indulge in our ‘curiosity’?

When times were tough, they took on an extra job or two to make ends meet. How were we supposed to learn about all the government programs that hand-out “free” money? We had to wear hand-me-down clothes! That’s got to be some kind of neglect, right?

My dad had to “suck it up” and work a job he didn’t like for years to put food on the table. Why didn’t he just give his boss the finger and quit his job?

They didn’t teach us that any color, status, or sexual orientation meant for any special rights, guarantees, or privilege to be bestowed upon us. What were they thinking?

Yeah, my parents were really “screwed-up” alright. And thank The Lord that he saw fit to bless me and my siblings with such loving, hard-working, people of character. I don’t know what most kids are learning from their parents these days, but I fear for many of them. God Bless my parents for all they did and DID NOT do for me. They cared enough to say “no” once in a while. I honor them for every good thing that rubbed-off on me (and for those that might not have – yet). The fact that they LOVED us is undeniable because they WORKED at being parents, for it would have been much easier to just let us do as we pleased. I hope that my kids realize this too someday.  

-- "Red Label" (son of Larry and Frieda)
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 1:15:42 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
When we went to college, they didn't spring for a week of debauchery in some tropical locale. How were we supposed to sew our wild oats? Or “see” the world?

How the fuck do you sew oats anyhow?
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 1:22:06 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:

My Grandfather's first job was sewing oats.  The expression meant to sew sacks of oats for market.

Patty
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 1:35:17 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

My Grandfather's first job was sewing oats.  The expression meant to sew sacks of oats for market.

Patty

Thanks for the info Patty. This thread reminds of the part in Monty Python's "Life of Brian" where they are having the discussion regarding the "blessed cheesemakers". Funny stuff.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 1:36:45 PM EDT
[#4]
I'll have to put that on my list to watch.  My son and I watched "The Search for the Holy Grail" Last winter when he was sick.  Very funny!
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 1:42:50 PM EDT
[#5]
BS
To sow is to plant.ie-to reap what you sow.As in ones's seed,etc.
Bunch o' goldang illergitermates around heah!
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 1:45:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Back to the original-
Red_Label-we must be brothers.My folks were/are that way.I'm mid40's and still "yes maam and sir".Everyone!Hope I do half the job my folks did.Dave
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 1:48:55 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Back to the original-
Red_Label-we must be brothers.My folks were/are that way.I'm mid40's and still "yes maam and sir".Everyone!Hope I do half the job my folks did.Dave

Thanks Dave. And thank God for our parents! The next time I talk to my dad I'm going to thank him for what he did for me (mom passed away in '97... RIP). I'm 37 BTW.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 3:52:33 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
BS
To sow is to plant.ie-to reap what you sow.As in ones's seed,etc.
Bunch o' goldang illergitermates around heah!

Yeah. That was my point.

Sew/sow.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 3:58:32 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Patty

I watched my grandfather sew wheat.

It is essentially planting by hand.  

He had his arm in a bag of seed, with some kind of metal nozzle thing that he would
whip around.  

Impossible to visualize.  

And I've never seen anything like it since.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top