Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/20/2001 6:18:04 AM EDT
Any advise?   I know that I will sit down with her and her mother and go over the safety rules with her before going out to the range.  I also picked up a 20 gauge single shot, since this is the first time she has gone out. My sister has shot before, so she will be using my twelve gauge.

The concern I have is that my niece will have some difficulty hitting the pidgeons, and will get too frustrated.  I will be going to a range that is only for skeet, and I really cannot set any type of reactive targets that would be stationary for her.

Any ideas?

-I guess the family that shoots together, stays together, since now my mother also wants to go out and shoot.
Link Posted: 8/20/2001 6:50:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Make sure the stock fits .  I remember my first time, and that was 40yrs ago.  It was a gun club shortened stock and my cheek hurt so bad when I was finished I thought I had been in a fight.  She will have fun even if one clay disappears in smoke.  Have fun and good luck.
Link Posted: 8/20/2001 6:57:56 AM EDT
[#2]
Try some simple stuff first, like put 5 clays out in the middle of the field (prop them up with sticks or something, about 4' apart so she wont get two with one shot, its good to make sure the range is cold before putting the clays out [;)]) so she can get the point of aim.  Try hand-thrown (throw them sorta like a frisbee) to start on moving targets and then move onto the machine.

Kharn
Link Posted: 8/20/2001 8:21:11 AM EDT
[#3]
A single shot is a bad idea. Skeet requires the ability to shoot two shots for the doubles. Single shots are notoriously bad in the recoil department, even a 20 GA  hits hard.

See if you can rent an auto like the Beretta 390 or rem 1100. Even a 12 ga auto is better than a single shot. The above two guns reduce felt recoil and generally handle better.

Skeet is difficult to learn but once you have the sequence of shots down it is easy to master. Remember the birds will fly at different angles and distances.

Tell the range personnel you have newbies so they will not squad you with a couple of diehards who want to shoot. Trying to teach new people about the game while holding up other shooters is not a good idea. Also ask for an experienced trapper to help you, trappers can be some of the best instructors as they are usually shooters themselves.  

Better yet see if the range has someone who can give basic instruction, especially if you have never shot skeet yourself. Skeet has its own safety protocols and courtesies not normally known by pistol and Rifle  shooters.

Make sure you have light target loads, not high brass full dram hunting loads. If you don't know the difference ask someone please! Skeet ranges limit you to shot size no larger than 7.5 but size 9 is the preferred shot to use. Do not go with #4 turkey loads, you will be thrown off the range quickly.

Women shooters generally do better using a gas operated auto in 12 GA. Make sure you have eye and hearing protection. If you can start them out with low house 7, which is a going away bird that is eay to hit.

Have fun

Geoff Ross
Link Posted: 8/20/2001 8:44:58 AM EDT
[#4]
I shot last weekend with a guy that brought his boy (age 9 or 10).  He had purchased a Remington 870 (20 gauge) youth model.  This gun was louder and kicked harder than my 870 12 ga.  You may want to consider a shoulder pad to ease the recoil a bit and definately have hearing protection.  
Link Posted: 8/20/2001 3:42:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Good advice from Geoff (he of the mui expensivo K80).  

If you can, start her out shooting Hi 1's and Low 7's until she hits them well.  Work on ONE presentation at a time so she doesn't become overwhelmed.  Then let her see the second target from those stations.  After she's hitting them you can begin to move to the middle but continue shooting single birds.  Doubles on serve to confuse and stress out new shooters.  Your goal should not be to shoot a round of skeet on her first day but to get her to hit some (the easiest) birds.  Once she sees she can hit them she'll become excited and want to continue.  THAT'S when you begin introducing the progressively more difficult targets.  Plan on it taking 2-3 outings of 100 rounds each before she sees her first station 4 or 8 bird.  BTW, a GOOD gun club will let you have the run of a skeet field to introduce a new shooter.  Just tell them what you'd like to do and they should bend over backwards to meet your needs.

I second the 'single shot 20 gage' is a bad idea crowd.  Find her an auto.  12 auto is better than any single 20.  Most places have demo guns.  Spring for gun rentals and you'll reap the rewards of a new shooter.  Have fun!!

CB
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top