Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/30/2003 5:35:59 AM EDT
[IMG]http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid63/p9c951e8f8a0015275c23c264b59c2e46/fc0baf10.jpg[/IMG]

Never had one or shot one b4 so it was all new to me. It is great. Much better trigger than I thought it would have. My only questions really now is do I have the 1/7 or 1/9 barrel and I thought all green AUGs had 20" barrels? Mine is numbers matching but has a 16". It looks just like the 16" should with the differant threading than the 20. To my eye it shows no sign of being cut. Either way I really like the 16" in this it is so short and handy. Could I have gotten an green made with a 16" or a cut down 20"? Would my serial# be able to help? It is 903SA37x.

The light is a 6v Surefire unit, I also got 2 30s and 2 42s with it as well as the brass catcher, cleaning kit, and bikini lens covers, no manual or muzzle cap.

SorryOciffer
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 5:40:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Nice.  I guessing the bag over the mag well is a shell catcher, Yes ?
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 5:41:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Cool toy! I always liked those, but could never justify the price.

Have fun with it.

When do we get the range report??
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 5:42:38 AM EDT
[#3]
Yep! Nice unit, you can empty the bag without taking it off the gun and it is small enought to not swing around. I would guess it holds 60 or so rounds. It better be good, the cheapest I have seen them is $120!!

SorryOciffer
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 5:45:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Well, I fired off about 15rds so far. I know, I know! 15 lousy rounds.... Right now I have to be discreet, my wife doesn't know I have it...Shhhhhhh!

It shot great, LOUD though, with the muzzle so close to you. It is so much faster to snap shoot and shoot under pressure with this than my ARs.

Not sure how long I will keep it though, it was just a scratch I had to itch to see how it shoots.

SorryOciffer
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 5:46:17 AM EDT
[#5]
IMO: best battle implament ever devised.
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 5:50:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Anyone know of a mount similar to what I have now for the light but that will allow me to attach one on BOTH side of the scope? I want LOTS of light. Are there any other custom AUG parts out there? Light/laser mounts etc?

SorryOciffer
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 5:51:10 AM EDT
[#7]
I have always wanted one of those, but like the other guy couldn't/can't justify the price.
Tried any high-speed mag changes yet?
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 5:55:08 AM EDT
[#8]
Nahh, I am going to look for a "beater" stock 1st. I dont wanna mar up this one by slapp'in things into it. Besides, with 42 rounds you BETTER get'm! They do drop free though, I thought they would hang up. There was a guy modding AR mags to work in the AUG, but once modded they work ONLY in the AUG.

SorryOciffer
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 6:06:41 AM EDT
[#9]
Looks Sweet!

I never really liked bullpup rifles much, they just don't look right, and I always thought the mag changes would be akward with the mags in back. It does seem like an interesting rifle though.

Mabye someday if I have some money that Is just burning a hole in my pocket, I might have to look for one.
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 6:13:58 AM EDT
[#10]
hell yea man, nice.
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 6:15:38 AM EDT
[#11]
It is slower to reload, even with the "tactical" mag changes but not that bad, especially if you use the 42s as you have more rounds between changes that kinda make up for it.

It shoulders pretty well really and shooting from the hip is so intuitive its crazy.

It's heavier than it looks though, 9.5 lbs with 42 rd, light, sling, and catcher.

SorryOciffer
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 6:16:20 AM EDT
[#12]
Ahh, nice rifle!  I also have a green AUG, but with the 20" barrel.  I'd like to get the 16", and a 42 round mag, but haven't justified the price yet.

Mag changes are easy.  Holding the rifle, grasp the mag with your thumb pointed up, fingers in front.  Your thumb will depress the mag catch and you pull the mag out.  Then slap another mag in.  ;)
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 6:18:53 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Nice.  I guessing the bag over the mag well is a shell catcher, Yes ?
View Quote

Nope, that's the bag that goes over the gun.  These are so butt-ugly nobody shoots them without first putting a bag over them. [:D]
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 6:23:30 AM EDT
[#14]
Hey, thems fightin words! J/K...

I lke the fact that the scope come pre-sighted from the factory for 300 yds. The circle recticle is set so a 6ft person fits inside it at 300yds and BANG.... Thing is at 20yds it still dead on to hit a gallon jug. What more could you ask?

SorryOciffer
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 6:31:36 AM EDT
[#15]
it has the look of "Made by Mattel"
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 6:59:47 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 7:01:49 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Mag changes are easy.  Holding the rifle, grasp the mag with your thumb pointed up, fingers in front.  Your thumb will depress the mag catch and you pull the mag out.  Then slap another mag in.  ;)
View Quote

We should meet up sometime.  I've never seen anyone change mags quickly with one of these things.  I've seen many attempts, none successful.
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 7:06:02 AM EDT
[#18]
Techically you should have the new mag in hand and use the back of it to hit the release with the gun shill shouldered and being held by the trigger hand, letting the empty fall free and insert the new one then release the bolt.

This is what I was told anyway.

SorryOciffer

Link Posted: 5/30/2003 7:08:32 AM EDT
[#19]
Just went into the bedroom to try the method I just described above and at a moderate/careful pace it worked great.

SorryOciffer
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 9:06:55 AM EDT
[#20]
I got mine back in 1988. Paid $950.00 for it new in the box. Had to sell it in 1990 before the NJ ban went into effect. That's alot Florio!!! You still SUCK !!!
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 9:18:19 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Nahh, I am going to look for a "beater" stock 1st. I dont wanna mar up this one by slapp'in things into it. Besides, with 42 rounds you BETTER get'm! They do drop free though, I thought they would hang up. There was a guy modding AR mags to work in the AUG, but once modded they work ONLY in the AUG.

SorryOciffer
View Quote

Well,
the guy modifying AR mags for the AUG is breaking the law if he sells them to other than dealers or law enforcement.  Once the mag STOPS working in the original weapon it was intended for, it stops being a modified mag and becomes a newly manufactured magazine, and thus must have a capacity of 10 rounds or less, or must be labeled for sale to LEO only.

What a F&cked up law.
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 9:31:25 AM EDT
[#22]
Congrats for your new "toy". This gun is incredibly accurate, especially with light bullets. Expect ½MOA.
I´m not sure about twist but I believe it is 1/7". Friend of mine has one of those I´ll have to ask him.

MN
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 9:32:48 AM EDT
[#23]
I hate your fucking guts, Ocifer.....

Nice gun, though! [;)]
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 11:00:35 AM EDT
[#24]
SWEET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If somehow your wife finds out would you sell it cheap to me  ?

Hey what's your phone #
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 4:23:34 PM EDT
[#25]
If she finds out the three rules apply. Admit nothing, deny everything, demand proof. Do it Slicky Willy Style...

Anyone have any info on other accessories and light/laser mounts? I have a gun made about half way throughthe civvie production run. I heard they can have 1/7 or 1/9.

If/when the ban expires someone should make US made parts to turn the USR into a regular AUG. Hell, receivers are available now, how about a molder making trigger packs, grips, cocking knobs, and a barrel. We could have US made Augs for $2000 instead of $3200+

SorryOciffer
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 1:58:11 AM EDT
[#26]

Congrats!

I envy you. I had and AUG but it was stolen back in '97.  If anyone ever cames across one with seriel 903SA37x, please let me know.

Link Posted: 5/31/2003 2:18:35 AM EDT
[#27]
SO--

They are exotic, high on the cool factor, shoot well, handle nicely.

Unfortunately, they are overpriced because of their relative rarity, hurt like hell if you try to shoot them left handed and mags tend to be expensive (I found all of my 30 rd. mags for $40 to $45, so you can find them cheap if you look).

At one point CDNN had Tan stock sets for cheap ($300ish), but I'm not sure if they have any more.

There are Stocks made that will take standard AR mags, but very few are in the US and no-one seems to want to make a contract run of them (probably not economcally viable).  

I believe you are correct on the 16" barrel not being standard on the Green Rifles.  Last 16" barrels I saw were about $800 without the foregrip.  Might be able to get a 20" cheaper that that.

As an aside--the 20" AUG is pretty close in length to a 16" FNC or Galil with the stock folded, pretty impressive considering the AUG is ready to fire with that length and the FNC and Galil need to have the stock unfolded before they become much more than a heavy pistol.

Is the AUG worth the $3000+?

Depends on you--if you would rather have 3 or 4 post ban ARs or 2 Pre-ban ARs, or a .50 rifle and scope, probably not.  But, if you already have a few of the above, the AUG makes a nice addition to a collection.
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 4:04:19 AM EDT
[#28]
Congrats on the new toy.  Neat looking rifle.
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 4:41:16 AM EDT
[#29]
Always loved the AUG. Don't have the cash.

Link Posted: 5/31/2003 5:44:26 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
SO--

They are exotic, high on the cool factor, shoot well, handle nicely.

Unfortunately, they are overpriced because of their relative rarity, hurt like hell if you try to shoot them left handed and mags tend to be expensive (I found all of my 30 rd. mags for $40 to $45, so you can find them cheap if you look).

At one point CDNN had Tan stock sets for cheap ($300ish), but I'm not sure if they have any more.

There are Stocks made that will take standard AR mags, but very few are in the US and no-one seems to want to make a contract run of them (probably not economcally viable).  

I believe you are correct on the 16" barrel not being standard on the Green Rifles.  Last 16" barrels I saw were about $800 without the foregrip.  Might be able to get a 20" cheaper that that.

As an aside--the 20" AUG is pretty close in length to a 16" FNC or Galil with the stock folded, pretty impressive considering the AUG is ready to fire with that length and the FNC and Galil need to have the stock unfolded before they become much more than a heavy pistol.

Is the AUG worth the $3000+?

Depends on you--if you would rather have 3 or 4 post ban ARs or 2 Pre-ban ARs, or a .50 rifle and scope, probably not.  But, if you already have a few of the above, the AUG makes a nice addition to a collection.
View Quote

This is why I would like to see a manufacturer with a reputable name and ability make some US AUG parts. Tere are ADI and Steyr recievers in country now, the hardest part. If a company like DSARMS would make some US parts the 3000 USRs could be made to be regular AUGs (assuming the ban expires and is not replaced) and others could be built. It would almost over night more than double the # of real AUGs and give way to domesticly built ones. Prices would drop considerably and parts would be easier to source.

Considering already if the ban is not replaced we will have domestic pre-ban ARs and FALs at least with probably HK clones not too long following AUGs and FNCs would take the cake and make owing them for everyone easier and cheaper. The 89 ban is not an end all if we can convince manufacturers like DS Arms and such we will support them.

SorryOciffer
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top