Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/3/2014 5:32:51 PM EDT
       Wife Somebody else (no pics) bought it.  Guys came and installed it.  I open it up, it has a rotating glass plate on the bottom, and a chrome looking wire rack 6 inches above that!

I thought metal arced in a microwave?  

Link Posted: 10/3/2014 5:35:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Why do metal objects spark or arch when I use them in the microwave, but the metal rack that comes with the microwave doesn’t?
Unlike other metal objects, the metal rack included with your microwave is specially designed for safe use. The design takes into account the pattern of microwaves to prevent arching and sparks. For example:
• The plastic spacers which hold the rack in place are engineered to keep it from arching against the microwave’s sides.
• The rack’s tines and outer edges are engineered to form a fully enclosed object, avoiding the open ends that lead to arching.
No other metal objects, including pans, utensils, etc. are approved for use inside a microwave.
View Quote

http://www.frigidaire.com/Owner-Center/FAQ/Kitchen/Microwaves/
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 5:36:35 PM EDT
[#2]
My grandmother has one from the 80s with 2 metal racks. Works fine.

I think arcing has to do with the type of metal.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 5:36:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Microwaves have had metal racks for years.  The trick is to not have sharp edges where the field gets concentrated and arcing can occur.  

If you design it correctly a metal rack is no problem.  Arbitrary bits of metal like forks or foil should not be used.

Link Posted: 10/3/2014 5:38:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 5:40:25 PM EDT
[#5]
the majority of microwaves built in the last 5-8 years come with them now
dont worry I briefly thought the same thing

but didnt make a thread about it
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 5:40:38 PM EDT
[#6]

A few years ago,I microwaved a Sonic burger that had gotten cold.

It looked like a thunderstorm in the microwave. I didn't even think about the foil wrapper till after it was too late.

Link Posted: 10/3/2014 5:47:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 5:49:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Parents had a Jenn-Air oven back in the early 80's that had a microwave built into the oven..which was all metal and full of racks....... must have used magical magnate shit or something.
I remember it being magically expensive to fix when it broke too.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 5:53:44 PM EDT
[#9]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Why do metal objects spark or arch when I use them in the microwave, but the metal rack that comes with the microwave doesn’t?

Unlike other metal objects, the metal rack included with your microwave is specially designed for safe use. The design takes into account the pattern of microwaves to prevent arching and sparks. For example:

• The plastic spacers which hold the rack in place are engineered to keep it from arching against the microwave’s sides.

• The rack’s tines and outer edges are engineered to form a fully enclosed object, avoiding the open ends that lead to arching.

No other metal objects, including pans, utensils, etc. are approved for use inside a microwave.

Well there you go!  I thought maybe it was a particular type of metal, like non-ferrous or something.  

Link Posted: 10/3/2014 5:56:47 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

the majority of microwaves built in the last 5-8 years come with them now

dont worry I briefly thought the same thing

but didnt make a thread about it
View Quote

But 1) this is where the scienticians are, and 2) the "stop posting about your everyday lives" thread is gone.  
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 5:57:18 PM EDT
[#11]
I scared the crap out of myself the other day. I nuked some stuff in a bowl, after about 30 seconds I remembered that the bowl I grabbed was china with gold leaf. I thought for sure (as I was sprinting back to the kitchen) my shit was going to be on fire.

Nothing happened. food was hot, no sparks no fire, nada.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 6:02:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Do it all the time... Freaks people out, the metal just cant touch the sides.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 6:16:40 PM EDT
[#13]
They put metal in the science oven?
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 6:19:43 PM EDT
[#14]
If you want to really piss off your mom, use one of her gold trimmed China plates from her wedding to microwave a burrito.  
That was 18 years ago and we still do not bring it up.  
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 6:24:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

A few years ago,I microwaved a Sonic burger that had gotten cold.

It looked like a thunderstorm in the microwave. I didn't even think about the foil wrapper till after it was too late.

View Quote

Arby's. CD's are impressive as well.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 6:30:56 PM EDT
[#16]
I worked with a electrical engineer
She was a smart ass
Cookies from the vending machine
Into the microwave
Shocked she was
Hilarity ensued amongst the techs

Lighting smoke and fire
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 6:32:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Aren't those used to charge the new Iphones with wave?
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 6:37:15 PM EDT
[#18]
I have one like that. The metal rack is attached to the sides with plastic standoffs.

The instructions say to take the metal rack out when it is not in use. It might arc if there is no food on it; in fact, that's what happened to us. I had to replace a couple of the plastic standoffs that got charred.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 6:37:56 PM EDT
[#19]
View All Quotes
Quoted:

After all, what do you think the microwave is MADE of?  Metal...
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 6:39:01 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Microwaves have had metal racks for years.  The trick is to not have sharp edges where the field gets concentrated and arcing can occur.  

If you design it correctly a metal rack is no problem.  Arbitrary bits of metal like forks or foil should not be used.

View Quote

Pretty much this. After all, the magnetron and waveguide are made of metal.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 6:46:23 PM EDT
[#21]
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I guess somebody at Frigidaire didn't know the difference between 'arc' and 'arch'.

Link Posted: 10/3/2014 6:52:27 PM EDT
[#22]
That's the iPhone charging holder
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 8:21:01 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
I guess somebody at Frigidaire didn't know the difference between 'arc' and 'arch'.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Spellcheck strikes again.  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top