Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/24/2016 8:21:03 PM EDT
Pan fry in a little butter 1:30 per side and enjoy.

Link Posted: 10/24/2016 8:23:23 PM EDT
[#1]
a lot of what people eat thinking they are getting scallops, is really skate or stingray. lay out the meat, punch out pieces with a thin piece of pipe, enjoy your "scallops".
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 8:25:34 PM EDT
[#2]
How did you clean the wings? We tried once, but butchered it up pretty good. But the meat we got was pretty good.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 8:27:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Lobster bait

I've only been stringing it for a decade. Costs about $30 per 55 gallon drun
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 8:32:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Woops.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 8:33:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Sorry, I meant to quote Golden-Arm

The muscle fiber in a scallop runs from flat side to flat side, the muscle fiber in a punched piece of skate wing would be running from one round edge to the other right?
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 8:34:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Yeah they say skate wings taste like punkin pie , but I'll never know, cause I won't eat the filthy motherfuckers!
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 8:34:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Lobster bait

I've only been stringing it for a decade. Costs about $30 per 55 gallon drun
View Quote

Just because a fish is cheap and plentiful doesn't mean it isn't also tasty.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 8:42:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 8:42:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
a lot of what people eat thinking they are getting scallops, is really skate or stingray. lay out the meat, punch out pieces with a thin piece of pipe, enjoy your "scallops".
View Quote

I don't believe that for a second. Two very different types of meat. Somebody at Red Lobster tell you that?
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 8:42:54 PM EDT
[#10]
i know scallops tested have found to actually be shark. if you see all of the scallops the same diameter, and same thickness, be wary. skate and stingray meat is okay to eat. i wouldn't eat a lot of it, as it's a bottom feeder. old florida fishing guide books called snook "soapfish", and rated their food quality as poor. i'd taste some fish before i'd just write it off as inedible. well, except for catfish, and tarpon.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 8:44:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I don't believe that for a second. Two very different types of meat. Somebody at Red Lobster tell you that?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

red lobster? you might have to eat red lobster.  i can go to the docks, and eat fresh seafood right off the boat. living 2500 feet from the coastline has it's advantages.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 8:49:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

red lobster? you might have to eat red lobster.  i can go to the docks, and eat fresh seafood right off the boat. living 2500 feet from the coastline has it's advantages.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The wings are sold as raja for big money.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 8:50:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Keep that away from Steve Irwin
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 8:58:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yup, came to post that.....Living in the Outter Banks, watch a LOT of n00bs from Raleigh come to the beach and try that shit. They lost their ass on making a nice eatery, then a locla cook would snatch it up and kill it
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 9:06:38 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Keep that away from Steve Irwin
View Quote

Too soon...

Link Posted: 10/24/2016 9:12:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Great shark bait too
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 9:12:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Skate.  Lightly floured. Sauteed with brown butter sauce.

Or just fried, or seviche, or poached then chilled and mixed with cold crab shrimp and scallops with a light orange vinegarette  

I can go on.  

You folks can keep your chili    I'll be over here
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 9:25:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Or just fried, or seviche, or poached then chilled and mixed with cold crab shrimp and scallops with a light orange vinegarette  

I can go on.  

View Quote

Seviche.  Really?
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 9:28:06 PM EDT
[#19]
I love it.

I had skate for the first time when I was studying culinary in France. Until then I would kick them back in the water.  

Two other "trash fish". Sea robins and spiny dogfish.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 9:30:46 PM EDT
[#20]
You can barbecue it, boil it, broil it, bake it, saute it. Dey's uh, skate-kabobs, skate creole, skate gumbo. Pan fried, deep fried, stir-fried. There's pineapple skate, lemon skate, coconut skate, pepper skate, skate soup, skate stew, skate salad, skate and potatoes, skate burger, skate sandwich.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 9:31:52 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

The first time I tried it I was told it tastes like scallops. They weren't lying.

I think it's good.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 9:35:58 PM EDT
[#22]
Ive eaten it a few times in a good greek restaurant and it was great. I was thinking it reminded me of crab but after reading the other posts , yeah maybe scallops.
I will eat it again.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 9:40:11 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

Not true. It's an old wives tale. There's cartilage through the wings, you can't punch out "scallops" through a skate wing.  After saying that, skates are delicious. On larger ones, filet the wing like a flounder, dredge and fry "filets", very good, especially on larger skates. Doesn't taste like scallop.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 9:43:24 PM EDT
[#24]
Funny how the folks that live near the ocean say it sucks. The experts from Indiana, Illinois and Missouri say it's great.

ETA: the PA seafood experts.

Same people that believe bonito are trash fish.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 9:45:33 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
i know scallops tested have found to actually be shark. if you see all of the scallops the same diameter, and same thickness, be wary. skate and stingray meat is okay to eat. i wouldn't eat a lot of it, as it's a bottom feeder. old florida fishing guide books called snook "soapfish", and rated their food quality as poor. i'd taste some fish before i'd just write it off as inedible. well, except for catfish, and tarpon.
View Quote

BS. I've eaten a lot of shark, none tasted like scallop, texture not even close.  Skate and Ray are delicious, a pain to clean, but good. There's cartilage through the wings,  can't just punch out fake scallops.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 9:50:38 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

The first time I tried it I was told it tastes like scallops. They weren't lying.

I think it's good.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think it's good.

Yup, all the experts on seafood come from the.midwest Fwiw I grew up 8 blocks from the Mississippi
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 9:52:28 PM EDT
[#27]
One of the seasons I worked in Alaska on a longliner, primarily fishing for Pacific Cod, we did Skates because the price was worthwhile. They fucking suck, tore up your gloves and have to be set aside from the cod in a tote to be processed seperately so as to not tear up the cod in the hopper. Any skates over a certain size were kept, the smaller ones were tossed back. The processors would hold em up and cut off the wings and toss the carcass back in the ocean. I was told at the time it was all for imitation scallops, that was in like '95-'96.  50 lb pans of frozen skate wings   I never ate any, but we did cod stomachs for traditional Japanese winter soups also.

Same boat killing cod, they changed up the set up as far as the processor/fish hopper from when I was on it.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 9:52:34 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 9:52:45 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

Guess who doesn't know shit about scallops or raja?
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 9:53:58 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Funny how the folks that live near the ocean say it sucks. The experts from Indiana, Illinois and Missouri say it's great.

View Quote

I eat just about anything that was or is alive and enjoy most of it.   Especially things from the ocean.  

I love bonito.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 9:55:49 PM EDT
[#31]
Fuck no.

Skates are lobster bait and when they found their way into the traps, just stabbed them and tossed the trap back.

Grew up on the water north of Boston. Would never eat those fucking things.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 9:57:50 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
One of the seasons I worked in Alaska on a longliner, primarily fishing for Pacific Cod, we did Skates because the price was worthwhile. They fucking suck, tore up your gloves and have to be set aside from the cod in a tote to be processed seperately so as to not tear up the cod in the hopper. Any skates over a certain size were kept, the smaller ones were tossed back. The processors would hold em up and cut off the wings and toss the carcass back in the ocean. I was told at the time it was all for imitation scallops, that was in like '95-'96.  50 lb pans of frozen skate wings   I never ate any, but we did cod stomachs for traditional Japanese winter soups also.

Same boat killing cod, they changed up the set up as far as the processor/fish hopper from when I was on it.
https://youtu.be/Gbzchw2oGA8
View Quote

The big  ones (raja) make the best lobster bait. Unfortunately their  livers get all over the place and can turn the deck into an ice skating rink
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 9:58:48 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

View Quote
Umm, bonito are trash fish. Good for shark bait and fun to catch, but doesn't taste good. Plenty of much better tasting fish. Black/yellowfin tuna, wahoo, mahi, cobia, snapper, grouper, etc.

Link Posted: 10/24/2016 10:02:18 PM EDT
[#34]
I have this recipe in my pocket if I ever come across skate

Link Posted: 10/24/2016 10:02:28 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That would be me. I eat seafood so seldom, I wouldn't know a scallop from a skiier. As long as whatever they bring me isn't actively trying to unass the plate, I don't much care.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 10:21:48 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Umm, bonito are trash fish. Good for shark bait and fun to catch, but doesn't taste good. Plenty of much better tasting fish. Black/yellowfin tuna, wahoo, mahi, cobia, snapper, grouper, etc.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah.  That's why the charter guys tell you they're trash but ice em down, bring em back then make off with them after cleaning your fish.  Lot of trouble for "trash" fish don't you think?  Somebody is paying good money for that trash fish sport.  If they're trash fish they get tossed overboard twenty miles from shore- not iced down and brought back.  Check your facts.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 10:29:11 PM EDT
[#37]
Soak that trash Bonito in ice water for 24 hours and try it.  Then come back and tell me all about how it's trash fish.  You've been eating it, paying a high price for it, and don't know it.  Usually on a block of rice or in a roll.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 10:31:21 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Yeah.  That's why the charter guys tell you they're trash but ice em down, bring em back then make off with them after cleaning your fish.  Lot of trouble for "trash" fish don't you think?  Somebody is paying good money for that trash fish sport.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah.  That's why the charter guys tell you they're trash but ice em down, bring em back then make off with them after cleaning your fish.  Lot of trouble for "trash" fish don't you think?  Somebody is paying good money for that trash fish sport.
Not sure what kind of "charter" boats you've been on, but I've only seen bonito cut into chunks for shark fishing or cut into strips for trolling, like this:

http://www.floridasportsman.com/2013/08/27/bonito-belly-strip/

Most people would laugh at you for filleting a bonito at the dock with the intention of eating it. I've tried bonito, and it really does NOT taste good.

Link Posted: 10/24/2016 10:32:50 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Fuck no.

Skates are lobster bait and when they found their way into the traps, just stabbed them and tossed the trap back.

View Quote

And lobsters were food only fit for prisoners and slaves back in the old days.  Things change.

That being said I've never eaten one, caught a few when I lived in Mississippi.  Still have a spine I kept for a toothpick somewhere.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 10:33:28 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Soak that trash Bonito in ice water for 24 hours and try it.  Then come back and tell me all about how it's trash fish.  You've been eating it, paying a high price for it, and don't know it.  Usually on a block of rice or in a roll.

View Quote
I've eaten fresh bonito, and I've eaten fresh tuna. It's a night and day difference as far as taste. But don't mind my opinion, I've only been around saltwater fishing since I was a kid.

Link Posted: 10/24/2016 10:37:23 PM EDT
[#41]
Careful, it's easy to have the skate contaminate itself with it's own urine.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 10:42:40 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

I always grew believing it was whale. But yours makes more sense.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 10:48:50 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I've eaten fresh bonito, and I've eaten fresh tuna. It's a night and day difference as far as taste. But don't mind my opinion, I've only been around saltwater fishing since I was a kid.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bonito or Bonita? They're two completely different fish. One is excellent the other is cat food.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 10:49:37 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
You can barbecue it, boil it, broil it, bake it, saute it. Dey's uh, skate-kabobs, skate creole, skate gumbo. Pan fried, deep fried, stir-fried. There's pineapple skate, lemon skate, coconut skate, pepper skate, skate soup, skate stew, skate salad, skate and potatoes, skate burger, skate sandwich.
View Quote

Haha hah

Just ate at Bubba gumps in Kemah after the airshow.  Didn't have that , but did have some shrimps .

Mmmmmmm. Mmmmmmm

Link Posted: 10/24/2016 10:50:25 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

There is a Chinese restaurant I go to that has a pretty good buffet. They used to put these punched out stingray or skate or what ever the fuck it was out and call them scallops. I called them on it a couple of times. They eventually took them off the menu.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 10:51:29 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Bonito or Bonita? They're two completely different fish. One is excellent the other is cat food.
View Quote

Please explain. Are they both Tuna? I thought they were the same.  Like Semi & Semi
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 11:10:48 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

I love it.

I had skate for the first time when I was studying culinary in France. Until then I would kick them back in the water.  

Two other "trash fish". Sea robins and spiny dogfish.

View Quote

Link Posted: 10/24/2016 11:11:22 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

I can go on.  

View Quote

Where are you getting this in CT? I love skate
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 11:23:21 PM EDT
[#49]
I fish allot off the coast of Jersey..   Not sure I would trust bottom feeders around there

Link Posted: 10/24/2016 11:32:10 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

And lobsters were food only fit for prisoners and slaves back in the old days.  Things change.

That being said I've never eaten one, caught a few when I lived in Mississippi.  Still have a spine I kept for a toothpick somewhere.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Fuck no.

Sure that wasn't a coons dick?

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top