Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/1/2006 8:52:34 AM EDT
I just bought a new knife for self defence, and I figured fixed would be best. Here is it. What do ya'll think?

Link Posted: 3/1/2006 8:55:09 AM EDT
[#1]
Looks good.   Was it made in prison?
j/k
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 8:56:00 AM EDT
[#2]
How are you going to carry it? I would like to carry a fixed blade, but can't think of a good method that isn't to conspicuous.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 8:56:19 AM EDT
[#3]
haha, yea, it looks strage. Its a damascus blade made in japan. I figure that japan knows a thing or 2 about blades.

I am making a Kydex IWB sheath for it, carried weak side. It should be plenty easy to hide.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 8:58:03 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
haha, yea, it looks strage. Its a damascus blade made in japan. I figure that japan knows a thing or 2 about blades.

I am making a Kydex IWB sheath for it, carried weak side. It should be plenty easy to hide.

IWB, eh? I see. I dont think I want any more than my pistol in my pants.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 9:03:26 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

IWB, eh? I see. I dont think I want any more than my pistol in my pants.

Also, your gun.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 9:06:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Did ya have to pay extra to have them polish that blade by kicking it across the parking lot.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 9:06:26 AM EDT
[#7]
I just got a new knife too.  I really like it.

Benchmade Mini-Ambush
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 9:08:55 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Did ya have to pay extra to have them polish that blade by kicking it across the parking lot.

The sharp part is nice and shiny. The rest I can care less about. This damn thing was so sharp out of the box that I try not to handle it.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 9:26:51 AM EDT
[#9]
It isn't bad. Um that blade is under 5.5 inches right?
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 9:28:44 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

I thought the limit was 4.5
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 9:30:16 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Blade is 4.8"
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 9:32:29 AM EDT
[#12]
I would rewrap the handle like Strider knives.

Link Posted: 3/1/2006 9:33:12 AM EDT
[#13]
duhhhhh......, from Texas Weapon Laws:

(6) “Illegal Knife” means a:

(A) knife with a blade over five and one half inches;

Rainer v. State, 763 S.W.2d 615 (Tex. App.-Eastland 1989, pet. ref’d) To determine
length, measure entire length of blade past handle, not just the sharpened portion of the
blade. Same result in McMurrough v. State, 995 S.W.2d 944 (Tex. App.-Ft. Worth 1999).

(B) hand instrument designed to cut or stab another by being thrown;
Albert v. State, 659 S.W.2d 41 (Tex. App.-Houston [14th Dist.] 1983, pet. ref’d) Martial
arts throwing star qualifies as “a hand instrument designed to cut or stab another by being
thrown”.

(C) dagger including but not limited to a dirk, stiletto, and poniard;
Armendariz v. State, 396 S.W.2d 132 (Tex. Crim. App. 1965) A knife slightly over seven
inches in length when open, equipped with a double guard, blade that locks open and is
sharpened on both sides of blade for over an inch meets the definition of a dagger.

(D) bowie knife;

Get caught with that and your going to jail.

Mike
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 9:33:37 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I thought the limit was 4.5

Nope 5.5

Texas Penal Code Title 10, Chapter 46, Section 1;

(6)  "Illegal knife" means a:
(A)  knife with a blade over five and one-half inches;
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 9:37:30 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

How do you figure? It isn't a bowie knife and with a 4.8 inch blade it's within acceptable length.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 9:37:46 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Nope 5.5

Texas Penal Code Title 10, Chapter 46, Section 1;

Sweet!  That gives me plenty of buffer room.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 9:37:47 AM EDT
[#17]
Price, info link? ETC.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 9:40:29 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Rainer v. State, 763 S.W.2d 615 (Tex. App.-Eastland 1989, pet. ref’d) To determine
length, measure entire length of blade past handle, not just the sharpened portion of the
blade. Same result in McMurrough v. State, 995 S.W.2d 944 (Tex. App.-Ft. Worth 1999).

Albert v. State, 659 S.W.2d 41 (Tex. App.-Houston [14th Dist.] 1983, pet. ref’d) Martial
arts throwing star qualifies as “a hand instrument designed to cut or stab another by being
thrown”.

Armendariz v. State, 396 S.W.2d 132 (Tex. Crim. App. 1965) A knife slightly over seven
inches in length when open, equipped with a double guard, blade that locks open and is
sharpened on both sides of blade for over an inch meets the definition of a dagger.

(D) bowie knife;

Mike

I think not. My co worker was Fort Worth police for 25 years, TCU for 8. He said its 100% legal. AND, I ordered it thru him.

Its a Kanetsune knife.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 10:01:37 AM EDT
[#19]
Great choice... Nice blade, not too crazy expensive, and it looks pretty sweet to boot!
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 10:05:19 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

thrown”.

(D) bowie knife;

Mike

So the larger kitchen knives are banned there ?
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 10:07:17 AM EDT
[#21]
Err, no kitchen knives are not banned. That's only a list of knives illegal to carry on the streets.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 10:17:31 AM EDT
[#22]
My eyes may be bad but judging from the normal handle length, my comments refer to this portion of what I posted.....

blade.
Same result in McMurrough v. State, 995 S.W.2d 944 (Tex. App.-Ft. Worth 1999).

That and the fact that your choice, as noted, above looks too much like a "shiv" which will widen the eyes of most police officers I know.

Mike
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 10:21:05 AM EDT
[#23]
Does that apply to CCW permit holders?
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 10:25:58 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
My eyes may be bad but judging from the normal handle length, my comments refer to this portion of what I posted.....

blade.
Same result in McMurrough v. State, 995 S.W.2d 944 (Tex. App.-Ft. Worth 1999).

That and the fact that your choice, as noted, above looks too much like a "shiv" which will widen the eyes of most police officers I know.

Mike

Even if he was only measuring the sharpened portion I don't think there's enough length up to the handle to take him over 5.5.

Quoted:
Does that apply to CCW permit holders?

We have CHL not CWL. So, yes it does.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 12:17:16 PM EDT
[#25]
Even measuring the ENTIRE part past the handle, is less than 5.5"

About the shiv comment, how many shivs are made from damascus steel with japanese figures stamped on them?
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 12:21:30 PM EDT
[#26]
Am I the only one that thinks Bowies knives being illegal in TEXAS is obsene and depressing?
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 12:27:37 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Am I the only one that thinks Bowies knives being illegal in TEXAS is obsene and depressing?

Yea, no shit. We have some of the worst knife laws in the country. Yet, our guns laws are quite relaxed.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 12:41:36 PM EDT
[#28]
Aren't you excused from knife carry restrictions if you have a CCW permit?  
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 12:53:35 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Aren't you excused from knife carry restrictions if you have a CCW permit?  

No, you are not.

It is a permit top carry a pistol.  Not a shiv.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 12:55:18 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
I think not. My co worker was Fort Worth police for 25 years, TCU for 8. He said its 100% legal.

Merely proving that some people have 25 tears experience and some have 1 years experience, 25 times.

Any Texas police officer I know will arrest you for carrying that knife.

Link Posted: 3/1/2006 12:58:20 PM EDT
[#31]
maybe I shouldn't carry my knuckle knife when I am in TX then
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 12:58:30 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
I would rewrap the handle like Strider knives.

Are those things comfortable?
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 1:02:38 PM EDT
[#33]
my new auto sticker
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 1:04:02 PM EDT
[#34]
Click

Link Posted: 3/1/2006 1:04:42 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
maybe I shouldn't carry my knuckle knife when I am in TX then

No.

Go right ahead.

You will get to visit Texas a lot longer.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 1:06:22 PM EDT
[#36]
O_P,

Is the issue that it's concealed, or that you're carrying it at all?
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 1:08:54 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
O_P,

"Concealed" has never been an issue in Texas law.

Carrying a pistol was against the law in Texas before the new Concealed Carry Permits.  It didn't matter at all if the pistol was concealed or not.

Carrying it "on or about your person" was what was illegal.

Stupid law, glad it was changed.

But carrying a big knife is still illegal in Texas.  Concealed or not.

Link Posted: 3/1/2006 1:11:48 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Even measuring the ENTIRE part past the handle, is less than 5.5"

About the shiv comment, how many shivs are made from damascus steel with japanese figures stamped on them?

all the 1's in the jap prisons...?
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 1:12:55 PM EDT
[#39]
Excellent choice, carrying a fixed blade. Far too few recognize the usefulness of a decent sized fixed blade in up close confrontations. Besides the size limitations, a folder will never be as strong, or nearly as fast as a good fixed blade.

I carry a 7.25" Japanese style fixed blade almost every day. I have found that the best way to conceal a large fixed blade is in a high ride upside down kydex belt sheath worn outside the pants. I carry the knife tip upward, edge facing to the rear with the knife just behind my left hip. Conceals easily and is drawn in a reverse grip, extremely fast.

ETA: Here is my carry knife.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 1:29:50 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 1:30:35 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:
O_P,

"Concealed" has never been an issue in Texas law.

Carrying a pistol was against the law in Texas before the new Concealed Carry Permits.  It didn't matter at all if the pistol was concealed or not.

Carrying it "on or about your person" was what was illegal.

Stupid law, glad it was changed.

Wow..

In IL you can carry pretty much any size blade knife you want (except in Chicago) as long as you have no "intent to use it unlawfully"

Link Posted: 3/1/2006 1:42:26 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 2:01:56 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
wilsontactical.com/raw/knives/wilson_mod2.jpg

I carry this knife when I feel like carrying a fixed blade. The blade is 5" long.

The thing that worries me is that some might classify this as a "Bowie" knife. Does anyone know if there is a legal definition of a "Bowie" Knife?

Good question.

As you say, "The thing that worries me is that some might classify this as a "Bowie" knife".  

Why?  Because it looks like a Bowie knife.

That's what a police officer would think also.

He might arrest you.  Then, it would be up to you and your lawyer to convince a judge that it "wasn't".

Best to not take such a chance.  Get a Concealed Carry Permit and carry a pistol.

Besides, remember the First Rule of Gun Fighting:  Have a gun.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 2:06:17 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I carry a 7.25" Japanese style fixed blade almost every day. I have found that the best way to conceal a large fixed blade is in a high ride upside down kydex belt sheath worn outside the pants. I carry the knife tip upward, edge facing to the rear with the knife just behind my left hip. Conceals easily and is drawn in a reverse grip, extremely fast.

ETA: Here is my carry knife.
img.photobucket.com/albums/v384/glocker199/000_0426.jpg

I'd love to see a pic of this setup on the body.

Here you go.

I normally wear untucked button up shirts, but here is a picture concealing the knife under a T-shirt to illustrate just how easily a substantial fixed blade can be concealed in such a manner.

Link Posted: 3/1/2006 2:07:46 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

In TEXAS?

Uh...... Okay.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 2:08:37 PM EDT
[#46]
No handguard, me no likey...
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 2:12:43 PM EDT
[#47]
That CANNOT be comfortable when sitting down.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 2:22:44 PM EDT
[#48]
FYI folks hand forged blades do look pretty rough compared to what you normally see as a finished knife.   I've got 2 made of a hitachi blue steel that look a bit rough but would probably slice another knife in half.   Sharpest friggen thing I've ever held and holds an edge like you woulndt believe.  

I watched one being made, the blades arent cut to shape, they're beaten into shape while red hot.   You have alot more appreciation for those knives after watching one being made.  
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 2:34:50 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

In TEXAS?

Uh...... Okay.

5.5" is big?
Some dumbass cop tried to arrest me once for carrying a 5.5" Ka Bar once...
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 2:36:34 PM EDT
[#50]
Wow, what's with the anti-knife stance Old_Painless? I think the laws are pretty clear, the guy's knife isn't over 5.5 inches it isn't illegal, any cop who would arrest him would be in the wrong.

texastactical:

Bowie Knife According to Texas: "A stout single-edged hunting knife with part of the back edge curved concavely to a point and sharpened."

Your knife technically doesn't meet the requirment but an ignorant cop might think it does.

Edit: BTW everyone the law does make exceptions if you're hunting, fishing, or doing anything else that might require a knife bigger than 5.5 inches.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top