Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/19/2001 11:13:53 AM EDT
My apartment neighbor had an accidental discharge this morning while cleaning his firearm.  The .40 caliber round went through two of my walls before stopping at the third.  One of the entry points is just above the computer, and exits over the kitchen sink.  Obviously, this had made me a bit nervous.  Considering that this is an apartment and over-penetration is a critical issue, what are your opinions on the ideal home defense round?  
[xx(]
Link Posted: 5/19/2001 11:18:50 AM EDT
[#1]
I would look into geting some 135 grain Hyrda-shocks in .40 caliber. I have read that were designed to be used in airplanes. Just my opinion but I could be wrong.

Six
Link Posted: 5/19/2001 11:20:45 AM EDT
[#2]
WOW! - and all this happened in Oklahoma?
Link Posted: 5/19/2001 11:24:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Jes' remember accidents cause people!

How many of US are the direct result of so-called 'accidental discharges'?

Use Glazer safety slugs next time. And get a new neighbor.

Eric The Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 5/19/2001 11:25:38 AM EDT
[#4]
glockgrrrl: shotgun! does'nt have to be a 12ga. and use birdshot #4 or #6 will do ok. but if you want to use your 40, sixgun is right, the federal 135's are downloaded.
Link Posted: 5/19/2001 11:27:49 AM EDT
[#5]
Sounds like what you really need is some Kevlar wall paper!!

A .410 gauge shot gun and #4's should suffice.  Or the glaser safety slugs were designed with alleviating over penetration.

Link Posted: 5/19/2001 11:30:09 AM EDT
[#6]
Perhaps some instruction time in the safe handling of firearms is in order for your neighbor.  What the F**K was he doing cleaning a loaded weapon.

[:\]
Link Posted: 5/20/2001 5:31:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Time to move away from your dumb neighbor.  Anyone that has an AD at home is a risk to public health AND (flame suit on) should NOT own guns.
Link Posted: 5/20/2001 5:34:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Use Glaser Safety Slugs Ammo, comes in various pistol calibres, used by the sky marshals, I believe.
Link Posted: 5/20/2001 5:36:23 PM EDT
[#9]
A complete moron.
Link Posted: 5/20/2001 5:41:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Cleaning a loaded firearm is like changing the oil in your car with the engine running.  [V]

I don't buy that excuse.
Link Posted: 5/20/2001 5:50:05 PM EDT
[#11]
12 Guage 00 buckshot.  ATF
Link Posted: 5/20/2001 6:12:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Did you shoot back? As they say, one good turn deserves another....
Link Posted: 5/20/2001 6:17:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Time to move away from your dumb neighbor.  Anyone that has an AD at home is a risk to public health AND (flame suit on) should NOT own guns.
View Quote

Has there ever been an AD from the use of the so-called "decocker?"

[red]PRK
Link Posted: 5/20/2001 6:26:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Has there ever been an AD from the use of the so-called "decocker?"

[red]PRK
View Quote

I think there were some with the original Ruger P-85s, which is why they were recalled.  I have one of the originals but Ruger replaced the safety system.  The problem was corrected in later models.  

Either way, I have always pointed the pistol in a safe direction when de-cocking.  Always follow the "10% rule".[:E]
Link Posted: 5/20/2001 6:50:11 PM EDT
[#15]
I think that (for once) the Brits are right, they refer to this as a 'Negligent Discharge' which is more accurate.  Firearms do not discharge by themselves, it takes a loose ntu pulling the trigger......
Link Posted: 5/20/2001 7:31:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Use your AR-15 and a frangile or varmit round.  A lot of police departments are switching from the MP-5 to the AR-15.  Originally, everyone used the MP-5 because they 'knew' that the .223 round would penetrate more than the 9mm.  Guess what, empircal testing shows exactly the opposite.  This testing was with regular HP rounds but not Glaser Safety Rounds.  There is a report or two floating around.  I got a copy at Gunsite when I took the Carbine course.  (Who knows where it it now.)  You can probably get a copy from Gunsite.  

Shotguns, even with small shot, will penetrate more than you think.  

Whatever you decide to use, you may want to test agains a couple of "wall" sections (1 foot square sections of wall board and studs) at the range to see what you can expect.  Let us know what you find out.

Link Posted: 5/20/2001 7:53:11 PM EDT
[#17]
[b]Did you shoot back? As they say, one good turn deserves another....
fullclip[/b]
I wasn’t here at the time it occurred, and not knowing what I would have been aiming at, I don’t think I would have anyway.  I’m not trying to flame you, just explaining.

[b]think that (for once) the Brits are right, they refer to this as a 'Negligent Discharge' which is more accurate. Firearms do not discharge by themselves, it takes a loose ntu pulling the trigger......
paspecops[/b]
That is far more accurate.  Cleaning a loaded gun (if that was what he was doing) is not accidental; it is negligent.

[b]Whatever you decide to use, you may want to test agains a couple of "wall" sections (1 foot square sections of wall board and studs) at the range to see what you can expect. Let us know what you find out.
Frances[/b]
That’s a great idea, and one I will definitely use.  Thank you Frances.

Thank you all for responding.  I’ll be trying the suggestions.  [:)]
Link Posted: 5/20/2001 8:04:17 PM EDT
[#18]
WOW! Glad you were not home at the time.  That guy would have never heard the end of that from me.  What a disgrace.  That is a bad way to have to think about rounds over-penetrating.  Good luck working something out.
Link Posted: 5/20/2001 8:18:55 PM EDT
[#19]
I would say that your best home defense would be to get rid of your neibor. AD's are caused by people that need more training. "Treat every gun as if it were loaded."
Link Posted: 5/21/2001 5:24:16 AM EDT
[#20]
Its not possible to clean a loaded gun. That is the lamest excuse anyone could say. I would be willing to bet he was screwing around with a loaded weapon and it went off (dipshit).

It really stuns me when people say that.
Link Posted: 5/21/2001 5:29:35 AM EDT
[#21]
Overpenetration is caused by missing your target.
Suggest to your neighbor that he should take a firearm safety class, or the next time you will return fire.
Link Posted: 5/21/2001 6:48:57 AM EDT
[#22]
Your neighbor is an idiot and belongs in jail, not in an apartment next to you.  If he can't do something as simple as clean a gun without having the "thing" go off, maybe he doesn't need to be near any people.
Link Posted: 5/21/2001 6:56:32 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 5/21/2001 7:59:37 AM EDT
[#24]
Maybe he was watching TV, saw Rosie the dyke and started shooting. Everytime i see her on TV i think of doing the same. Kevlar wallpaper is probably a good idea.
Link Posted: 5/21/2001 8:06:12 AM EDT
[#25]
glckgrl where in OK?
Link Posted: 5/21/2001 8:21:10 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Overpenetration is caused by missing your target.
Suggest to your neighbor that he should take a firearm safety class, or the next time you will return fire.
View Quote

Amen brother!

Work on gun safety and make sure if you do fire a round in your apartment make sure it has to go through intercostal muscle/ribs, spine and back muscles. That should slow it down enough that if it does penetrate wallboard it shouldn't be lethal on the other end.

Front sight....Press.

Hunter out...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top