Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/3/2012 5:45:04 PM EDT
Well sort of.

I got the stock set and fixed up the lower today. This is just a mock up on mine but the only differences are hers will be built on a Coonan receiver and mine was built on a DSA the other difference is her barrel is immaculate. Mine is a shooter but it's been shot a bit. Plus hers will not have a carry handle since that is more correct.

But this is basically what it will look like when finished. I am still in the process of de-Mugabeing the stock as they painted over it but the nice thing about that is it's scrapes off with your finger while leaving the original finish intact.

This is a special thing for her as she lost friends both civilian and soldier in the Zambezi Valley during the mid to late 60's during this conflict. It's sort of a momento to her time in Africa.

Anyway enjoy

Link Posted: 7/3/2012 5:46:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Once again, Awesome job on that project.
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 5:47:16 PM EDT
[#2]
FN-FAL packing mother.  Too cool (and so is the gun).
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 5:51:14 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Thanks man

This project has been a year or so in the making. The bitch is I have to wait 10 weeks for the receiver to be made.

Link Posted: 7/3/2012 6:00:58 PM EDT
[#4]
That's a nice looking rifle. Interesting back story on the history your mom has with Africa and Rhodesia.

Link Posted: 7/3/2012 6:02:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Once again.

I hate you!

Link Posted: 7/3/2012 6:03:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Once again.

I hate you!

Ditto..i want a Rhodie kit..i should've bought one when i had the cahnce  I Suck
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 6:05:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Nice!
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 6:06:09 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

That's a nice looking rifle. Interesting back story on the history your mom has with Africa and Rhodesia.  

Thanks mate.

Yeah she lived in Zambia which was next door. A lot of the attacks from the Rebels came from just over the border. From what she tells me that was basically a area Zambian authorities didn't touch. Pretty quiet country surrounded by ones that were not so quiet.

Link Posted: 7/3/2012 6:17:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Absolutely awesome! I wish I could say my Mom had her won FAL.
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 6:28:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Nice!  It's interesting that I see this thread tonight because I just downloaded "So far and no further!" which is a book about Rhodesia and their independence.

Link Posted: 7/3/2012 6:39:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Very cool, OP.

It's a shame what the decent folk of that region had to endure.

Jealous of that stock set!

Link Posted: 7/3/2012 6:42:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Pic of your Mom?

Cool rifle.
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 6:49:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Everytime I see a sweet FAL like OPs Mom's I want one more and more...
I don't need one... I have other 7.62x51 battle rifles already... but I WANT a FAL anyhow.
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 6:52:56 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

I don't need one... I have other 7.62x51 battle rifles already... but I WANT a FAL anyhow.

As well you should.

Link Posted: 7/3/2012 7:07:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Looks like the long lost brother to mine. Nice Rodie!

Link Posted: 7/3/2012 7:10:45 PM EDT
[#16]
I really should get off my ass and find a parts kit.
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 7:41:11 PM EDT
[#17]
So are you telling us that you slapped a different stock on your gun and are starting yet another thread showcasing it? Just asking, not picking a fight.   I'm Sure I'm missing something here.
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 7:43:10 PM EDT
[#18]
smokiexd45 very helpfully alerted me to South Africa furniture available at Apex with Rhodie paint.  

Wanted to alert the OP to the fact they also have top covers with baby poop paint available.

Poopy covers

Link Posted: 7/3/2012 7:44:27 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

So are you telling us that you slapped a different stock on your gun and are starting yet another thread showcasing it? Just asking, not picking a fight.   I'm Sure I'm missing something here.

It's a nice stock set.  

Link Posted: 7/3/2012 7:47:42 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

10,725 posts.

10,112 threads started.

Narcissistic Facebook generation at work.
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 7:47:57 PM EDT
[#21]
That is sweeeeet looking.

I really need to pick up a FAL.
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 8:06:23 PM EDT
[#22]
That gun looks a little under-lubed. Go get the blood of your enemies and perform some proper maintenance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUj-uFf6YBs
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 8:10:24 PM EDT
[#23]
Very cool. I'd be interested in hearing your Moms story, too. Either way, thanks for sharing!
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 8:12:22 PM EDT
[#24]
man that needs a blue jobs something fierce! or re park if you swing that way.
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 8:23:08 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Link Posted: 7/3/2012 8:41:04 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

I think they are better in there natural finish.

Link Posted: 7/3/2012 8:53:01 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

So are you telling us that you slapped a different stock on your gun and
are starting yet another thread showcasing it? Just asking, not picking
a fight.   I'm Sure I'm missing something here.

Yes you did.
I was trying to showcase what the new one would look like. And that lower, the stock set, & the grenade gas plug are off the kit I am building for my mom. I only used mine to show those interested what it would look like when it's done. And like I said before I have to wait 10 weeks for Coonan to get my Receiver to me.
Quoted:
10,725 posts.
10,112 threads started.

And as for the Narcissistic Facebook generation comment from the other
guy.....Jesus lighten up man. If you cant contribute something positive
to this thread just move on.

Link Posted: 7/4/2012 8:21:44 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Very cool, OP.

It's a shame what the decent folk of that region had to endure.

Jealous of that stock set!

http://img268.imageshack.us/img268/5225/rhodiefal.jpg

Nice rifle man and bump for the day shift

Link Posted: 7/4/2012 8:27:55 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

10,725 posts.

10,112 threads started.

Yes you did.

I was trying to showcase what the new one would look like. And that lower, the stock set, & the grenade gas plug are off the kit I am building for my mom. I only used mine to show those interested what it would look like when it's done. And like I said before I have to wait 10 weeks for Coonan to get my Receiver to me. If it would have been more appropriate to use a random FAL rifle to do the same thing well sorry.

And as for the Narcissistic Facebook generation comment from the other guy.....Jesus lighten up man. If you cant contribute something positive to this thread just move on.
http://i793.photobucket.com/albums/yy213/SAIGAMANTX/FALHATERS.jpg

You've been here long enough..some people just live to shit on other people's threads..
Link Posted: 7/4/2012 8:30:32 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

10,725 posts.

10,112 threads started.

Yes you did.

I was trying to showcase what the new one would look like. And that lower, the stock set, & the grenade gas plug are off the kit I am building for my mom. I only used mine to show those interested what it would look like when it's done. And like I said before I have to wait 10 weeks for Coonan to get my Receiver to me. If it would have been more appropriate to use a random FAL rifle to do the same thing well sorry.

And as for the Narcissistic Facebook generation comment from the other guy.....Jesus lighten up man. If you cant contribute something positive to this thread just move on.

http://i793.photobucket.com/albums/yy213/SAIGAMANTX/FALHATERS.jpg

You've been here long enough..some people just live to shit on other people's threads..
Das ist true.

Link Posted: 7/4/2012 8:35:13 AM EDT
[#31]
Hey I wasn't thread-shitting.  I said I wasn't trying to pick a fight and pointed out that I must be missing something - which clearly I was.  The narcissistic comment didn't come from me.
Link Posted: 7/4/2012 8:36:32 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Hey I wasn't thread-shitting.  I said I wasn't trying to pick a fight and pointed out that I must be missing something - which clearly I was.  The narcissistic comment didn't come from me.

I know man.

I was answering your question :) As for the other one I should have just separated the response. I know you didn't say that.

Went in and separated my original response.

Link Posted: 7/4/2012 8:41:31 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Isn't paint over park the authentic finish for most FALs?  
Link Posted: 7/4/2012 8:44:30 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Actually it varies. The lower I picked up is a early South African one which they blued them at the beginning but went to paint over park later.

I believe it's a SA made lower but with the exception of the factory stamped number on the rear sight I can find no proofs or stampings. I know they sanitized them but in this case it just looks like any other info was left off.

Link Posted: 7/4/2012 8:46:30 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Actually it varies. The lower I picked up is a early South African one which they blued them at the beginning but went to paint over park later.
I believe it's a SA made lower but with the exception of the factory stamped number on the rear sight I can find no proofs or stampings. I know they sanitized them but in this case it just looks like any other info was left off.

Personally, I like paint over park but it's not popular in America for whatever reason.
Link Posted: 7/4/2012 8:46:46 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

like most british guns of the time. it was park then epoxy paint. and there are a few that were blued, as well. but normally park then paint.
Link Posted: 7/4/2012 8:51:12 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Our other options in GD are some dudes deciphering the beans in chili argument or whether sex with a clone is masturbation...

More FALs, please.  Awesome fucking rifles.

Link Posted: 7/4/2012 8:59:00 AM EDT
[#38]
Coolest thread of the week award here.
Link Posted: 7/4/2012 9:06:11 AM EDT
[#39]
Very nice! This thread makes me want a FAL.
Link Posted: 7/4/2012 9:25:31 AM EDT
[#40]
Great rifle OP! I'm sure your Ma' will appreciate it! Pls let us know how it shoots!

Cheers,
Rog
Link Posted: 7/4/2012 9:33:55 AM EDT
[#41]
FAL... the only right arm of the free world!
best battle rifle ever
Link Posted: 7/4/2012 9:35:10 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Quoted:

As well you should.

buy one, you wont regret the purchase.
you will wonder why you waited so long
Link Posted: 7/4/2012 9:48:57 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Very nice! This thread makes me want a FAL.

Me too!  I used to have a Century L1A1, and it was a big POS, but it was an extremely reliable POS and I loved shooting it.  I still miss it.  Off to the EE...

Link Posted: 7/4/2012 10:39:01 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

By "natural" I was referring to the natural wear steal gets over time from use. If you want a "new" paint job and have a safe queen, go for it...

Link Posted: 7/4/2012 10:46:22 AM EDT
[#45]
Very nice rifle. Are they tough to build?
Link Posted: 7/4/2012 10:47:29 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 7/4/2012 11:50:53 AM EDT
[#47]
Very cool project.
Link Posted: 7/4/2012 11:58:33 AM EDT
[#48]

It's funny how much it says about a country when an authentic copy of rifle from there looks like it was dragged down the road behind an old Toyota pickup and had years of lack of concern and care.

Link Posted: 7/4/2012 12:28:04 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
It's funny how much it says about a country when an authentic copy of rifle from there looks like it was dragged down the road behind an old Toyota pickup and had years of lack of concern and care.

That is what makes them so cool! Here is a M16 that I shot during the Small Arms Firing School (SAFS) at Camp Perry. It was so worn out, it made more rattle noises then my '90 K1500 Chevy pick up with 297,000 miles on it!

Link Posted: 7/4/2012 12:35:38 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Not very hard bru. Just look online for how to build a FAl and go from there.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top