Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/24/2005 9:56:40 AM EDT
*sniff sniff*
I'm so proud of my little hometown.  It's growing up so fast. . . .

Today at lunch, a bum came up to me and asked for a handout in the Circuit City parking lot.  I've been living in this town for 27 years, and this is the first time this has ever happened to me here.

I hope it's not a sign of worse things to come.  This town is big enough I think.
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 9:58:11 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 10:03:20 AM EDT
[#2]
It used to be a small town.  It's tripled in size in like the last 10 years.  Kinda freaky.  Shoney's used to be the fanciest place to eat.  Now it's closed down because it can't compete with the Longhorn, Ruby Tuesday, and Red Lobster.  An Olive Garden is opening next week.  All the growth has been in one little area.  Everywhere else is still pretty laid-back, but that one part of town near the Interstate has exploded.
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 10:04:37 AM EDT
[#3]
Well, congratulations?
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 10:04:54 AM EDT
[#4]
I think he ment the bum, we have alot of them in Houston, I can ship some to you if you'd like
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 10:04:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Sounds like you don't live in a town anymore, but an extension of suburbia...big difference...
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 10:06:23 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 10:06:23 AM EDT
[#7]
Years ago I got transfered from my work to another city to run a store.  So I called up there and asked the old manager what the town was like.  He told me it was a huge town...with almost 10k people!!

I just laughted since I come from a city of 1 million people, what he considered a "bad area of town" was when 2 minorities lived on the same street.

SGtar15
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 10:07:45 AM EDT
[#8]
we have a lot of bums and panhandlers here in northern VA.  

i saw one the other day right off I-95 in Arlington and his sign hanging down from his shopping cart full-o-random-crap said:

Need Batteries, bottled water, dog chow, and camel lights
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 10:08:10 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Sounds like you don't live in a town anymore, but an extension of suburbia...big difference...

That's exactly what's happening.  Atlanta is growing, and we're getting swallowed up.  Used to be a quiet little town.  Now it's a bedroom community for Atlanta.  Shops, restaurants, and subdivisions going up as far as the eye can see, but only a handful of decent jobs that don't involve retail sales.
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 10:11:50 AM EDT
[#10]
I was thinking you were gonna say a Wal-Mart was put in your town...
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 10:12:56 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I know what you mean.  A CVS just opened across the street from what used to be the only gas station in town, called Oskie's.
The whole town turned out to watch the bank burn down about 7 years ago.

I think it's safe to say that yuor town is smaller than mine was even 27 years ago.  We had a good 10 gas stations at least.  And a K-Mart.  
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 10:12:56 AM EDT
[#12]
....and you didn't draw down???!!!!!!

You will never make it in the big city.....
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 10:15:37 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I was thinking you were gonna say a Wal-Mart was put in your town...

Nah.  We got one of those quite a while back.    Then when all the growth happened, they built a new Super Traffic Jam Wal-Mart right in the middle of the growth area.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top