Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 10/6/2004 5:23:32 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/6/2004 5:25:15 PM EST by Dog1]
He sent out the bulk e-mails to everyone and I got one, but I thought that his e-mail needed a reply-

Dear Mr Leatherman,

I received your bulk e-mail in regards to your endorsement of Sen. John Kerry for the Presidency
of the United States. By the tone of the e-mail you sounded defiant and a tad condescending.

While I’m sure you got 1,000's of e-mails, I’m not sorry that it happened. You see Mr.
Leatherman, you do have the right to vote for whom ever you chose. You also have the right to
pronounce that to whom ever you wish. That is your freedom of speech.

What you do not have the right to is freedom from repercussions from what you say. Sure, we
cannot sue you or remove you from office. But we too can vote-with our pocket books. That too
is our right, as Sportsman, Hunters, Shooters, Law Enforcement and most importantly, Military
Personnel.

I worked in Law Enforcement. Many of my former co-workers carry a Leatherman Tool. After
passing a e-mail around, I can assure you that many will get rid of their Leatherman tools for
others, such as those made by SOG and Gerber.

I have several friends in both Iraq and Afghanistan. They too have Leatherman Tools. I have
traded e-mails with them. They feel betrayed by you and your company. One of them, a Major in
the Rangers, plans on tossing his in the Euphrates River once the Gerber Tool his wife bought him
arrives.

I have 2 and was considering a 3rd one. One for me and the others for the cars. Now, I will deep six mine and get 3 SOG multi-tools. It's a shame, I really liked the ones I have.

My only regret is that honest, hard working, Americans in your factory will be hurt by this. But I
guess you did not take that into account when you publicly announced your support for Sen.
Kerry.

As a businessman, you should have weighed the ramifications of your actions. But you didn’t and
now it’s possible that your company and most importantly your employees will be harmed.

That is a burden that you, and you alone must bear.

Link Posted: 10/6/2004 5:27:28 PM EST
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 5:32:07 PM EST
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 5:32:19 PM EST
Great letter...better than mine. Leatherman's response only encouraged me even more to deep six my Leatherman tool....never to mention or consider anything from his company again. Kerry is singly one of the most dispicable human beings imaginable.....and anyone who supports him can only have the same values.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 5:35:25 PM EST

Originally Posted By 1GUNRUNNER:
Send him a picture of your ass...

That'll shake him up.

Ha ha ha...I just might...

Link Posted: 10/6/2004 6:12:29 PM EST
Looks like Leatherman is now sending out a canned response. Here is the one he sent to me in response to my email to him:

Dear Sir or Madam:

I assure you I have personally read your e-mail. However, due to the volume of messages received, I cannot give a personalized response to each to you.

However, here in a nutshell is a general response:

Because I publicly stated how I am going to cast my vote, almost all of you have threatened a boycott against my company.

So be it.

I took a position, and now I will accept the consequences.

I am still going to do my absolute best to make great tools and hope that you and all Americans, of every political affiliation, will find them of value. If not today, someday.
Tim Leatherman
President
Leatherman Tool Group, Inc.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 6:24:25 PM EST

Originally Posted By SF1058:
Looks like Leatherman is now sending out a canned response. Here is the one he sent to me in response to my email to him:

Dear Sir or Madam:

I assure you I have personally read your e-mail. However, due to the volume of messages received, I cannot give a personalized response to each to you.

However, here in a nutshell is a general response:

Because I publicly stated how I am going to cast my vote, almost all of you have threatened a boycott against my company.

So be it.

I took a position, and now I will accept the consequences.

I am still going to do my absolute best to make great tools and hope that you and all Americans, of every political affiliation, will find them of value. If not today, someday.
Tim Leatherman
President
Leatherman Tool Group, Inc.

Like him or not, you can't help but admire his convictions and his realization that he will not change your opinion.

On the otherhand, it would have just been smarter, as a business man, to donate to the campaign. You dont see Bill Gates out there doing this shit, do you? (Do we? )
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 6:40:53 PM EST
Just out of curiosity, WTF do you people think you're going to accomplish?

You're not going to get him to issue a retraction. You *might* succeed in hurting his business, but I highly doubt you'll run him out of business. There are a lot more people that just don't give a rats ass about who a company gives money to, and just wants a quality product.

Just seems to me that you're giving yourself a lot of frustration for very little return, thats all.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 7:03:21 PM EST
Nice, diplomatic letter.

I'm signing Timmyboy up for gay bukkake lists.

tim_l@leatherman.com
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 7:05:27 PM EST

Originally Posted By FanoftheBlackRifle:
Just out of curiosity, WTF do you people think you're going to accomplish?

You're not going to get him to issue a retraction. You *might* succeed in hurting his business, but I highly doubt you'll run him out of business. There are a lot more people that just don't give a rats ass about who a company gives money to, and just wants a quality product.

Just seems to me that you're giving yourself a lot of frustration for very little return, thats all.

My hope is that we send a loud and clear message to business leaders and public figures that they will no longer be held unaccountable for their actions.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 7:07:10 PM EST

Originally Posted By Dog1:

My only regret is that honest, hard working, Americans in your factory will be hurt by this.

That is a burden that you, and you alone must bear.

Which is it?

Top Top