Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/29/2002 7:27:37 AM EDT
Yesturday my son Dillon who is in fifth grade saw on of his smaller friends getting smacked around by an older kid who is in the seventh grade.
This seventh grader who shouldn't have been on this elementry school grounds even bashed Dillons friends face into a car as others watched.
Dillon Jumped in and put this guy in place.
The other kid got a black eye and several other sore spots.
I've been teaching my son how to take care of himself for about four years and he knows that being a bully is being a coward and will not be tolerated.
Dillon has never got into a fight or trouble before and is a good kid.
His principal called me in to school and told me in very certain terms that my son was in the wrong for this and considered this vigelanty behavior that would not be tolerated and that we need to have another meeting today to put closure to this situation.
Dillons friends mother was watching my son and I getting repremanded and said fighting is wrong.
Not one thanks or even a friendly look for helping her kid out came from this lady (did I mention this is CA?).
The worst part of the whole deal (for me anyway) was that I had to sit and listen to this liberal bitch spout her crap.
After some thought I think I'm going to tactfully give them a piece of my mind.
I just don't see that my son did anything wrong.
And yes I told Dillon I was proud of him.
Thanks for listening I needed to vent.
Andy
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 7:34:29 AM EDT
[#1]
get a lawyer and threaten lawsuit if any untoward stuff happens - get son to write down what happened in his words including who was there, if necessary depose friend's idiot mom about bruising/medical bills/etc from fight
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 7:35:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Some brave people did a similar thing on a flight that crashed in PA last Sept. They stood up for what is right and did not let the bullies hurt others. Remind your principal of that. Glad he didn't have any of the folks on that plane in his school!
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 7:37:23 AM EDT
[#3]
Andy,
 Take that boy out to the range and let him shoot until his trigger finger blisters.  Then take him to the nicest steakhouse around and buy him the biggest steak he can eat.
 He did the right thing.  Let the principal say whatever is on his mind.  I wouldn't go so far as to tell him that your boy will do it again - [b]BUT[/b] - don't discourage your son from helping out with a bully.  Getting their a$$ kicked is the only damned thing they understand, and having it done by someone two years younger is especially humiliating.
 That whippin' might have changed the bully's outlook on life. I've seen that happen....

[beer]  to a job well done.
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 7:38:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
get a lawyer and threaten lawsuit if any untoward stuff happens - get son to write down what happened in his words including who was there, if necessary depose friend's idiot mom about bruising/medical bills/etc from fight
View Quote

As much as I hate the litigious nature of our society, I agree.  I would threaten the school and the kid's parents.
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 7:46:37 AM EDT
[#5]
Yes don't let them give your boy shit. that woman is messed up. I am going through the same PC crap out here in Mass with one of my 15 yr old sons teachers. Seems he wrote some band names on one of his papers and she didn't like the bands, And he gets sick of hearing the stoners in her class brag about smoking dope and drinking and told them to shut the F*ck up!
Well she takes that as a violent outburst.
(Guess what she did during the 60's?)
well she tried to make a big stink and say he was a danger etc.. well to say the least that isn't flying. all his other teachers have reported how good and polite he is etc..  It 's
just her. And this is in a Tech school with a lot of hilltown people going to it. (Country boys/gals) What fun. trust me it has been a fight all the way through school for him and teachers and liberal attitudes he doesn't believe in.
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 7:59:24 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 8:06:50 AM EDT
[#7]
Shit like this is why my son is going to private school.  At least if THEY try to pull this sort of crap, I can threaten to take my money elsewhere.
That said, I wouldn't have sat on my hands---I am not very good at being patient with fools. I would have given the principal a double load of my mind right then and there before she could have gotten the word "vigilante" out of her mouth.
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 8:07:00 AM EDT
[#8]
You have taught your son well. He did nothing wrong. It is the school who is in the wrong.
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 8:09:37 AM EDT
[#9]
You son did good, I teach my students to avoid violence, but when necessary...dispense it. I too am tired of liberal candy asses....give the kid some bullets and lett him have fun!
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 8:18:14 AM EDT
[#10]
There are two lessons learned here.
First by you son, by your reiterating what he did is right he has learned to stand up for those who are weaker.

Second the bully learned that that behavior is not tolerated by you son.  Maybe just maybe you stop future violence from occurring.  The kid who was getting beat up have turned into one of those kids who goes crazy at school in the future.

While I think that violence is not the answer to solving problems, sometimes it is the only answer to solving problems.

My .02
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 8:19:14 AM EDT
[#11]
Please advise the outcome of today's meeting.
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 8:26:44 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I just don't see that my son did anything wrong.
And yes I told Dillon I was proud of him.
Thanks for listening I needed to vent.
Andy
View Quote

Two words: Home School. Get him out of that government indoctrination center.
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 8:46:21 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
There are two lessons learned here.
First by you son, by your reiterating what he did is right he has learned to stand up for those who are weaker.

Second the bully learned that that behavior is not tolerated by you son.  Maybe just maybe you stop future violence from occurring.  The kid who was getting beat up have turned into one of those kids who goes crazy at school in the future.

While I think that violence is not the answer to solving problems, sometimes it is the only answer to solving problems.

My .02
View Quote

Third - no good deed goes unpunished.  Even when you do the right thing, there is no guarantee that there will not be a cost associated with it.  

He did the right thing. too bad today's educators would rather strip search students and provide condoms and abortions than provide moral leadership, but it is hard to do when you are born without a spine...
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 8:58:14 AM EDT
[#14]
I experienced a similar situation when my daughter was in the fifth grade, fifth grade boy picking on younger girl, my daughter asked him to stop, he did not, she decked him.  I was called to the school, not really any problem with the school, they were just sort of letting me know about the incident.  I advised my daughter to attempt to locate a teacher in the future when it is possible to do so, but that she had done a good thing, helping out a younger child with a bully.  She always did retain "defensive" information well and she does not, to this day take any crap off of anyone.  
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 9:08:26 AM EDT
[#15]
No your kid is not wrong. In the old day, that was me, who like your kid, did the same.

But time have changed, the liberals and the zero tolerance policy took over, and for either right or wrong, we have to restrain ourselves. I know, it's wrong....but what can we do?

Let your kid know that we are all proud of him.
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 9:35:43 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 9:59:33 AM EDT
[#17]

HOO-YAH  !!!!   HOO-YAH  !!!!  to Dillon!
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 10:01:40 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 10:17:17 AM EDT
[#19]
don't let the principal treat you like a student
View Quote

absolutely right, I have seen waaaaaaaay to many teachers who think they have a right to treat you like one of their students.  They seem to think they have this blanket of authority that extends to us all, even while not on school property.  Set em straight.  Your son did well.
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 10:39:55 AM EDT
[#20]
Hoooo-weeeee!

Glad it wasnt me there, I would have blistered the paint off the walls in that principals office. NOTHING gets me hotter faster than a bully in a school setting. Ruins the whole experience of education and learning how to interact with people of your own age group.

Leaves mental scars too.

I am with a3kid on this one, shooting and steak dinner. Perhaps even pick him up a 10/22 for plinking with the old man when you go to the range. That kid stood up and was counted when it was time to be counted. Boy has heart... I tell you right now... he will end up a good man if he stays on this path.

Give em' both barrels Mechandy..... then break the stock off on their fool heads.

Dram out!!!
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 10:42:08 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Some brave people did a similar thing on a flight that crashed in PA last Sept. They stood up for what is right and did not let the bullies hurt others. Remind your principal of that. Glad he didn't have any of the folks on that plane in his school!
View Quote
Thats right man! You have a hell of a young man there who is on the right track. Good job!
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 11:34:37 AM EDT
[#22]
Well Mechandy what happened!!!!!!!

You got us all in suspense...
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 11:39:41 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
But time have changed, the liberals and the zero tolerance policy took over, and for either right or wrong, we have to restrain ourselves. I know, it's wrong....but what can we do?
View Quote

Jesus, man... What kind of defeatist attitude is that?... go into the closet and dust off the box with your spine in it!

How do you think the schools got this way?  The libs fought and won their arguements... If you just accept it, you're admitting that they're right, and things will only get worse.  Every incident has its own merits, and they need to be argued if the situation warrants!  Mechandy's boy was wholly right, and that fact should be recognized by the school.  Indifference is worse than being on the other side... at least they're fighting for what they believe in.

Edited to add please tell Dillon he did the right thing.
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 12:18:05 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 12:45:36 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 12:57:58 PM EDT
[#26]
in addition we need the email addy/phone #s/etc for the principal, school superintendent/etc to make our feelings known - this shit has to stop
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 12:59:16 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

i agree, get a lawyer and line up all your whitnesses.  then sue the crap out of that ass hole!  damn liberalS!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 1:12:43 PM EDT
[#28]
One...The schools don't police bullies.
Two...Defending yourself is bad (according to the school).
Three.They are trying to turn our kids into wimps.

That being said, I have been through this with my kid. When he was in high school he was easy going and got picked on alot. One day 4 kids were giving him crap...verbal, pushing, shoving, etc. He nails one of the kids in the mouth, actually knocks the kid on his ass. I get called in and the principal starts on me about my kid and how I should bring him up. I fire back with why all these kids are picking on him and why he can't police that behavior. I point out the were pushing him around and that is assault. He merely defended himself and his actions caused an immediate stop to the situation.

The Principal told me I had issues (I guess I was the problem!!!!). He ordered my kid to serve a 1 week suspension. At that point the parent of the other kid chimed in and told the Principal his kid was to blame and anything the school did to my kid was also going to happen to his. The Principal's jaw dropped....he ended up giving both kids a 1 day in-school suspension.

To this day when I see that guy around town I always make sure I greet him warmly. Some folks are just OK.
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 1:36:58 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 1:46:44 PM EDT
[#30]
 Use of force is justified to protect innocent third parties. This is well established in the law. You are doing right.
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 1:51:07 PM EDT
[#31]
The feminization of America!  Far too many boys being raised by women, taught by women and being under a woman administrator.  I have nothing against women with good sense and know a number of those, but the feminazi types are a real PIA! Raise hell with the principle AND the school board.  If your local paper is not left wing trash, talk to a reporter.  Schools HATE negative media attention.
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 2:12:54 PM EDT
[#32]
I 've been at work all day and it's near 3:00 pm on the west coast and she has not called me on my cell phone to come in and deal with this like she had said, yet.
She might be waiting for school to get out.
The chances are that she might have realized how dumb her statements were and might not want to persue this.
Reguardless of this I feel that I have some unfinished business on this subject.
I'm thinking that least need to draft up a letter expressing my concerns.
If the school tries to disipline my son over this or makes negative remarks on his school record I will be forced to take action.
As for Dillon... I feel he should be rewarded and when he gets home I'm going to see what I can do for him.
I will post an update on this situation if anything changes.
I'd like to thank you all for the support.
Thanks again.
Andy
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 2:54:43 PM EDT
[#33]
You mean the school failed to keep someone not attending that school off school premises, and in allowing that person onto school grounds he was able to attack one of the children that the school has a responsibility to take care of while that student is on school grounds? How long did it take school staff to realize there was an incident going on? Were they present?

Does your son know the other kid? Do you know the other kids parent's? You might want to get to know them. Then both sets of parrents can express their shock and dismay that this situation was allowed to occur..........

BS, BS, and more BS, your son sounds like a good kid who saved another kid from a savage beating.
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 3:13:18 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
 Use of force is justified to protect innocent third parties. This is well established in the law. You are doing right.
View Quote

That's right.  Give your boy a hug and tell him that your proud for doing what's right.  

A similar thing happened to me in High School but I was the one attacked.  

September of my senior year, we get a new kid in school.  He's a black kid from downtown (my school was suburban and 99% white) and he has a chip on his shoulder [size=5]THIS[/size=5] big.  Well, as I'm sitting on the bus (yes, I still had to ride the bus, no $ for a car) he sits next to me and starts making comments about me.  Something about me looking mean (I wasn't too happy about riding the bus with the snot nosed freshman anyway!)  

So, I tell him that if he has anything to say about me, he better just say it to my face.  Well, he got brave at that point and stood over me in the aisle and started talking his homeboy trash.  I took about a minute of that and got into his face and told what I was going to do him.  Just as soon as he opened his mouth, I grabbed his Adams apple (Ranger Chokehold says Al Pacino) and drove his ass down into the seat next to me.  Somehow through the bus shifting or stopping, we ended up on the floor with him on top of me, but with my grip still on his throat.  He managed to get off one shot over my eye and gave me a mouse.  Just as he was about to go into sleepyland, the bus driver pulled me off of him.  The bus driver was cool about. He said that if we didn't get into it on his bus again, he wouldn't report us to the Vice Principal.  We agreed to settle it some other time and we left into the school.  

Here's where it gets interesting.  We had two vice principals;  a woman and a man, the man was in charge of discipline.  Well, I have this mouse over my eye, and the woman VP sees me in the lunch line.  She asks me about my eye and I say don't worry about it.  She probes more and asks if it was a kid at school. I tell her that I don't want to get into hot water.  She then asks me if it was the new kid (she guessed, he had been trouble from day one and she knew it).  She said that she just wanted to know because they might have to do something about this new kid and that if the other VP knew about I would also get suspended but she wouldn't say anything.  So, based on that, I told her what happened.  

Big Mistake!

The two faced bitch went and told on me.  The next morning I get called into the discipline VP's office and the other kid is sitting there.  I knew I had been had at that point and was pissed!  I told the VP that I was just defending myself against this kid who was threatening me.  The other kid confirmed this.  

Then, the d!ckhead VP starts reading from the PA criminal code book about assault, battery etc. and how I committed a crime!  WTF!  

Even as a 17 year old, I knew this was bravo sierra, and that it was ok to defend myself and I told him so.  Then, it hit me that I had been ratted out by the other VP and demanded that she get her ass in there because she said that she wouldn't tell this putz.  I really started to raise a stink at that point (I was like a gyro spinning up).  

Link Posted: 3/29/2002 3:14:24 PM EDT
[#35]
cont'd

The female VP comes in and tries to tell me that she had to tell because she was concerned for MY safety, yet here I was getting suspended too!  In the meantime, my mother had been called and she shows up just as this is unfolding with the female VP.  She gets the quick rundown and immediately asks both VPs what kind of crap are they trying to pull.  (mom is 5'11", 185lbs. and hits harder than most men, I know from experience).  

Mom starts in on these rat bastards and the SHTF!  The female VP starts crying, the male VP gets in mom's face then thinks twice when she literally bellies up to him and forces him back into his chair.  

Now I'm sitting there just knowing that I'm not getting suspended but will at least get something.  So, after a while, and threats of lawsuits, the VPs backpedal a little and give me a 3-day in school detention during study hall.  In other words, I got to go to a private room to study by myself during a period when I would have otherwise been in a big room with other kids studying.  Not much of a punishment but they figured they had to do something.  

The other kid got three days out of school suspension!

Two months later, the kid was expelled for fighting and having drugs on him.  

Every time after that I saw that bitch in the hallway I would make sure she saw me look away in disgust.  She even tried to talk to me once after that and I just turned my head and walked away.
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 3:19:22 PM EDT
[#36]
You have done a fine job of raising him so far, why not explain to him that there are people who can not help themselves and give him a hug for me.
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 11:13:57 PM EDT
[#37]
It is a good thing that your kid didn't take "the lesser of 2 evils" route and told his friend not to resist so he wouldn't get hurt as much.
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 11:30:41 PM EDT
[#38]
Good kid. And you must be doing a fine job raising him. KEEP IT UP! It's rare to hear of a kid with [left]1)balls enough to do what's right[/left][left]and[/left][left]2)decency enough see what's right[/left]
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 11:59:06 PM EDT
[#39]
Sounds like Dillon's friend is lucky to know Dillon, and has a mom who evidently doesn't give a shit about the protection of her kid.

Vigilante?  We need more of that.
Link Posted: 3/30/2002 12:52:20 AM EDT
[#40]
Congrats to your son - you are raising him well!

Now get the hell out of kali.

They have jobs in other states too.

Tate
Link Posted: 3/30/2002 1:03:12 AM EDT
[#41]
Sounds like your son is going to be an outstanding member of our society.

The main thing is, make sure your son knows he did nothing wrong. He may be upset that his principal is "mad" at him.

Reassure him that everyone has their own opinion and his principal is no different.

Remind him of the great heros who have stood up for the little man and made this country great.

If every kid out there was like yours we would all be a hell of a lot better off.

I SALUTE YOU AND YOUR SON!!!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top