Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/26/2006 2:17:14 PM EDT
So I walk out the front door of my shop and in the parking lot I see these two bums exchanging something, I suprised them but i was also suprised.

My first reaction was, "get the hell off my property"  the one gave me some shit, so once again I told him to "move the fuck out"  Well he they both say "Ok so we can't hang out here, we will leave"

Ok cool problem solved so I cross the street to my car get what i need then on my way back they are on the other side of the street, I walk right past him and after i am across the street he starts yelling at me calling me a faggot, anyways I am watching him not saying a work, (hand on my .45) walk inside grab my maglite and come outside.  Well he takes off walking the other direction.

I think you have to be stern with them or they will roll right over you, or am i causing problems? I haven't seen him back

So should i be kinder and gentler with the rats?

Should I have responded to his name calling?

Should I have challengened him?

i know that anything can happen in a street fight, so i am glad it worked out the way it did.

Maybe next time just call the cops?

Link Posted: 2/26/2006 2:23:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Draw down and kick him to the curb!
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 2:26:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Street people see kindness or any form of understanding as weakness. If you say "please" or try to appease them with kindness they will see an opportunity to take advantage.

You acted appropriately.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 2:28:00 PM EDT
[#3]
You should have said ''Sorry,i cant help you''
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 2:28:02 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Draw down and kick him to the curb!

Oh i wanted to but other than the "oh shit factor" I dont think there was really a good reason to point a gun at him.

maybe if he started walking towards me...  even then it would not be a clean shoot
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 3:08:40 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Street people see kindness or any form of understanding as weakness. .

Thats what the cops have told me in the past, of course they really dont want the private citizens using force.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 3:10:29 PM EDT
[#6]
You clearly should have shot to slide lock.

CO
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 3:13:21 PM EDT
[#7]
A roundhouse kick or full power shot would have been appropriate.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 3:13:54 PM EDT
[#8]
I think the Jack Bauer scowl would have been appropriate.  Might be a little over-kill though.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 3:16:11 PM EDT
[#9]
lets say he threatened to kill me, could i legally make a citizens arrest for "assault" how about if it was on my property, i could use a reasonable amount of force right?
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 3:17:18 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
So I walk out the front door of my shop  (blah blah blah) My first reaction was, "get the hell off my property"  the one gave me some shit, so once again I told him to "move the fuck out"  Well he they both say "Ok so we can't hang out here, we will leave"

Ok cool problem solved so I cross the street to my car get what i need then on my way back they are on the other side of the street, I walk right past him ............

Greg, you are great for entertainment - if we didn't have your daily foibles, we'd have to make them up.  
Sometime in the next few weeks you will be posting about coming out of your shop to find all 4 tires flat and a rock through the windshield of your car...do you know how I can predict that?
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 3:18:27 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:
So I walk out the front door of my shop  (blah blah blah) My first reaction was, "get the hell off my property"  the one gave me some shit, so once again I told him to "move the fuck out"  Well he they both say "Ok so we can't hang out here, we will leave"

Ok cool problem solved so I cross the street to my car get what i need then on my way back they are on the other side of the street, I walk right past him ............

Greg, you are great for entertainment - if we didn't have your daily foibles, we'd have to make them up.  
Sometime in the next few weeks you will be posting about coming out of your shop to find all 4 tires flat and a rock through the windshield of your car...do you know how I can predict that?

Glass got all scratched up last week taggers
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 3:21:02 PM EDT
[#12]
If this was your Dad, would have called the cops?
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 3:21:46 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
If this was your Dad, would have called the cops?

nah just would have gave him a 90MPH tape party
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 3:26:19 PM EDT
[#14]
No flame intended, but if that was regularly going on outside my front door, I'd be looking to move.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 3:27:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Run up behind him and give him a couple thumps with the maglite.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 3:31:03 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
No flame intended, but if that was regularly going on outside my front door, I'd be looking to move.

this area is turning to shit.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 8:22:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Step 1 - determine what the laws really are where you live.  Bloviated advice based on an incomplete understanding of the state laws by a resident of that state and not your state could be very very dangerous.

Step 2 - Ignore the displays of testerone on their part.

Step 3 - Get better lighting and/or real security cameras.

Are these bums, hoods, gangstas, etc?

Gangstas may just feel dissed and the need to take you on.

Druggies usually don't like being out in the open and visible in their interactions.

Bums/down'n outers are usually substance abusers, many are polysubstance abusers and many are mentally challenged in addition.  Being at the bottom of most food chains, pecking orders, etc they tend to move on when challenged.  BUT, they almost always have some kind of weapon, because if they don't every predator attacks them.

Your response should be predicated on the problem.  Moving before the property values tank may be in your future.

Challenging  directly rather than moving them on is not a good idea.  Most will move on without a challenge, those that won't are going to respond badly to a challenge.

Link Posted: 2/26/2006 8:34:59 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Run up behind him and give him a couple thumps with the maglite.

I hear there is a word for that. I'd say it, but I don't really want to get banned.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top