Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/7/2004 6:53:18 AM EDT
This is going to really suck.  I am not going to be a happy camper for a while.  They have all my information, with the exception of my DL#.   I found out yesterday and have been working on it sense then.  Dell Financial Services caught it first.  They are probably where the leak of info occurred, but I really don't know that for sure.  They tried to use or make a new account there.  I have no idea yet on any other damage at this time.  The credit bureaus are going to send me my credit reports to find out how many fraudulent accounts have been opened, then the fun starts.  From what I have learned so far, this is going to suck for a long time.  Right now I hate life.  My wife is pissed--life sucks.  Up until this time my credit has been impeccable.  I always had my good name, even though I don't make tons of money as a teacher, I have always qualified for great rates, because of my spending habits.  I don't carry a balance on any credit cards ever.  Now I don't even have that.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 6:54:58 AM EDT
[#1]
That blows, I hope it all gets taken care of soon.
Hang in there.

ARH

Link Posted: 10/7/2004 6:56:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Post your name, address and social security number (oh, and your PIN numbers) and we'll see if we can track down the culprits.

Just kiddin.   Its major suckage when this happens, so stay safe.   Close the accounts, do everything in your wife's name for a while and get a lawyer to deal with Experian, Equifax and Transnation.

Link Posted: 10/7/2004 6:56:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Get on the horn to all your credit card companies.  Check to see if anything has changed or has been charged.  If no, have them document your account in case anything DOES change.   Have them change your account numbers and send you new cards.  

Getting a credit report from one or more sources will be a good thing.   If you see anything odd, call them and correct that crap.  

Hope it works out OK with no burden to you...  My sister/brother in law kept having someone steal their Discover card account... the Feds were on it.  
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 6:56:35 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
This is going to really suck.  I am not going to be a happy camper for a while.  They have all my information, with the exception of my DL#.   I found out yesterday and have been working on it sense then.  Dell Financial Services caught it first.  They are probably where the leak of info occurred, but I really don't know that for sure.  They tried to use or make a new account there.  I have no idea yet on any other damage at this time.  The credit bureaus are going to send me my credit reports to find out how many fraudulent accounts have been opened, then the fun starts.  From what I have learned so far, this is going to suck for a long time.  Right now I hate life.  My wife is pissed--life sucks.  Up until this time my credit has been impeccable.  I always had my good name, even though I don't make tons of money as a teacher, I have always qualified for great rates, because of my spending habits.  I don't carry a balance on any credit cards ever.  Now I don't even have that.

Sorry to hear that. How, specifically do you think they got your information?

I hope that you're able to get everything worked out and back to normal soon.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 6:58:04 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
How, specifically do you think they got your information?

Link Posted: 10/7/2004 6:59:29 AM EDT
[#6]
Go to the FTC's webpage regarding identity theft.  There's a lot of good information there.  You might want to consider putting a fraud watch on your credit report with the big 3 reporting agencies.  That should flag your report and make it more difficult for the thieves to open new credit accounts.  good luck.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 7:02:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 7:04:53 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Go to the FTC's webpage regarding identity theft.  There's a lot of good information there.  You might want to consider putting a fraud watch on your credit report with the big 3 reporting agencies.  That should flag your report and make it more difficult for the thieves to open new credit accounts.  good luck.

All ready done all of this.  All I can do now is wait for the reports.  I'm not sure how they got the information.  I believe they got it from Dell, but I could be wrong.  Dell called me with in about 2hrs of the fraudulent account opening.  I only use secured web pages when giving out this kind of information, and I never give out my SS# unless I am applying for credit, like the Dell account to buy our new computer a few months ago.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 7:09:52 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

All ready done all of this.  All I can do now is wait for the reports.  I'm not sure how they got the information.  I believe they got it from Dell, but I could be wrong.  Dell called me with in about 2hrs of the fraudulent account opening.  I only use secured web pages when giving out this kind of information, and I never give out my SS# unless I am applying for credit, like the Dell account to buy our new computer a few months ago.

You had to give them your SSN to buy a f$#king  computer? That's BS!

Sounds to me that's likely where it was leaked. I don't give anyone my SSN if at all possible.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 7:28:27 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Sounds to me that's likely where it was leaked. I don't give anyone my SSN if at all possible.

From what I heard, Dell uses a lot of outside contractors, maybe they got a hold of your personal data.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 7:32:58 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
talk to waldo regarding i.d. theft.

good luck getting things straightened out!

Ask my son, he got a free trip to jail because someone used his identity, stolen ID to commit a felony. (check).  He's still having problems clearing up his credit.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 7:56:25 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

I applied for a line of credit with them to get a discounted price.  I guess I know what that price is now.

To get any kind of credit, a SS# is asked for.  It is not required, but it makes it difficult to check your credit history.  I used to sell cars.  I had one customer that worked in Saudi.  He bought several cars from me, but the financing was always a pain. He had perfectly good credit, actually the best, but because he refused to submit his SS#, most banks wouldn't touch him.  He had to use the same local small town bank over and over.  The % rate that he got was not the best from them, but that was ok.  I guess I understand that more now.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 12:19:07 PM EDT
[#13]
I found out where the computers were sent to.........Cambridge Massachusetts.    They wouldn't give me the actual address, all though they have it.  They said they could only give it to a police officer.

If I was president, all I would need is just the city.............red button!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top