Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/25/2002 2:25:18 PM EDT
heres what I do some days I have work around the house to do and normal work so I will go outside and bench 10 reps then come in and work then go back out and hit my bag a little then do 10 more work on paper work get bored go back out and do 10more until i get restless and do it again usually I end up doing it about 60reps in all. I am basically just trying to be able to bench more weight and make myself a little stronger, is this doing anything?
Link Posted: 7/25/2002 7:42:20 PM EDT
[#1]
If you want to increse your ability to lift more weight you need to lift more wieght with fewer reps.

For strength gains I recommend 4-6 reps at maximum workable weight.

When I was training heavily and my weight plateaued I would do my normal sets followed by one or two sets of even further increased resistance(spotter is essential) for 4-6 reps. If the first set I could do 6 reps, I increased my weight again and exhausted at 4 reps for the second set.

For example Inclined Dumbell Presses
2 warm up sets, 15 reps @ 35 pounds.
1 set of 12 reps @ 55 pounds
1 set of 10 reps @ 65 pounds
1 set of 8 reps @ 70 pounds
1 set of 6 reps @ 75 pounds

Strength sets following above sets
1 set of 4-6 reps @ 80-85 pounds (decide by feel after last set of regular workout)
1 set of 4 reps @ 85-90 pounds

Add this onto your workouts to see some gains.
Also try to work on building the stabilizing muscles for the movement you wish to improve. For bench, this means anterior and lateral deltoids and triceps as well as your abdominals and lower back.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top