Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/16/2013 10:37:58 AM EDT
They have only 1 power rack and a few rubber weights for Olympic lifting, but they have money to add one of these to each of the 5 treadmills....

What is this damn cardio bunny froo froo bullshit doing in my gym

Link Posted: 2/16/2013 10:39:09 AM EDT
[#1]
for the soccer moms
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 10:40:38 AM EDT
[#2]
looks like a hotel gym
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 10:41:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Tell them to put a sign on the squat rack or power lifting station that reads as follows....

"Hey douchebag go do curls somewhere else this is A SQUAT RACK!!!"  Management

Should alleviate some traffic.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 10:41:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Sounds like a Planet Fitness to me.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 10:42:43 AM EDT
[#5]
bulk of people going to fitness clubs/centers are obese females.  They like to do cardio while watching tv.  Sort of like sitting on the couch, except the couch moves underneath you.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 10:43:42 AM EDT
[#6]
If only there was a place where one could run, like infinitely.  There would be things to look at and like a breeze and stuff.  Well, a man can dream...
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 10:43:43 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
bulk of people going to fitness clubs/centers are obese females.  They like to do cardio while watching tv.  Sort of like sitting on the couch, except the couch moves underneath you.

They are gone for the year by mid February in 80% of cases.

Link Posted: 2/16/2013 10:45:04 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 10:46:02 AM EDT
[#9]
The priority of the gym is to sell memberships to people who will never utilize the place.
If they invested in things like weight lifting equipment, people might actually come in and use it.  

Link Posted: 2/16/2013 10:46:02 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was surprised didn't get many resolutioners in my gym this year.  Last year was absolutely crazy till about mid-February.  Always good thou to see the ones that actually stick around.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 10:46:25 AM EDT
[#11]
This is what my gym looks like

Link Posted: 2/16/2013 10:46:36 AM EDT
[#12]

Which would you rather have as a client base?  
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 10:47:05 AM EDT
[#13]
You knew what you were getting into when you joined Curves.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 10:51:37 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

You knew what you were getting into when you joined Curves.
ROFL!

Link Posted: 2/16/2013 10:55:46 AM EDT
[#15]
I wish we had a good iron gym around here. All the gyms have a ton of cardio equipment, and just enough iron to make a 15 minute lifting session take an hour for the wait.

I'm in terrible shape, but I'd get back into some light lifting in a second if there was a place around here.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 10:57:18 AM EDT
[#16]

Is that a wall of dicks

Link Posted: 2/16/2013 11:00:12 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Is that a wall of dicks

No, that would be a 40' tall climbing wall with a 55' long route in one of the largest indoor climbing gyms in the country.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 11:03:49 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is that a wall of dicks

No, that would be a 40' tall climbing wall with a 55' long route in one of the largest indoor climbing gyms in the country.

Chris Sharma even set up some of the routes,  but I am no where near good enough to even think about doing those.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 11:04:01 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

But more of their kind return. Churn. It's a good thing.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 11:07:05 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The fat people do keep the prices down.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 11:09:26 AM EDT
[#21]
It's about making money.  "Hardcore" gyms don't do so well in most areas as the typical clientele usually scare off the larger demographic that brings the money in.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 11:11:25 AM EDT
[#22]

Lots of sweet sends there, brah.

Link Posted: 2/16/2013 11:11:33 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
It's about making money.  "Hardcore" gyms don't do so well in most areas as the typical clientele usually scare off the larger demographic that brings the money in.

Did you just call the OP ugly?
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 11:13:32 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The fat people do keep the prices down.

8K members, 1500 weekly users.  Fat people with no resolve under-pin the fitness industry.

Link Posted: 2/16/2013 11:14:28 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I wish we had a good iron gym around here. All the gyms have a ton of cardio equipment, and just enough iron to make a 15 minute lifting session take an hour for the wait.

I'm in terrible shape, but I'd get back into some light lifting in a second if there was a place around here.

I bought some dumbbells and weight plates to workout at home.  I like Scooby's Workshop for home workout plans.

I also ride a bicycle or jog for cardio.  

Going to the gym, ain't nobody got time for that!
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 11:16:47 AM EDT
[#26]
it's about attracting members, jack and jill fatass walk into a gym they're thinking about joining and see that now they can watch the kardashians while they waddle along at quarter mile per hour and thats a selling point. shitty but it's true. it's harder for me to find a treadmill or a bike for my warmup than it is to get some space to lift. people think that cardio is the end all be all, just the way it goes.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 11:18:02 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I bought some dumbbells and weight plates to workout at home.  I like Scooby's Workshop for home workout plans.

If you workout for one hour a day, that's only 4% of your day.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 11:18:34 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
You should see what the Crossfit gyms charge, we're talking $100+/mo/per with no couples discount.

Kharn
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 11:20:20 AM EDT
[#29]
That contraption in the lower right of the pic looks like an old car CD player. What is it?
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 11:20:27 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:
You should see what the Crossfit gyms charge, we're talking $100+/mo/per with no couples discount.

Kharn

Link Posted: 2/16/2013 11:23:31 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
That contraption in the lower right of the pic looks like an old car CD player. What is it?
DVD player. DIN-mounted ones are more shock tolerant than your average commercial player, so they can stand up to being mounted on fitness equipment.

Kharn
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 11:24:00 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Kharn

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_men683vZUE1ru6yjso1_500.jpg

Crossfit gyms are great, they are a magnet for douchebags.  The rest of us left in the other gyms then only have to contend with the leftover douchebags doing curls in the squat rack.

Link Posted: 2/16/2013 11:28:05 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Kharn

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_men683vZUE1ru6yjso1_500.jpg

Crossfit gyms are great, they are a magnet for douchebags.  The rest of us left in the other gyms then only have to contend with the leftover douchebags doing curls in the squat rack.

Link Posted: 2/16/2013 11:29:00 AM EDT
[#34]

I have a power rack I can use at any time that is in my basement with a full set of weights.  I don't have to wipe somebody else's skanky sweat off of it to use it either. What is this foo foo gym membership thing you speak of?  Is that like a social club?

Link Posted: 2/16/2013 11:30:55 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm digging his beginner home workout. I need to figure something out with the pull ups though. I can't use a door bar here.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 11:30:55 AM EDT
[#36]
ROFL crossfit...
So, a guy I know, around 23-24 years old, unemployed, was spending his Unemployment money on doing crossfit.
I told him he's fucking crazy, might as well just get a labor position for a construction company or as a driller helper for a water well company and at least get paid to do the same shit.

Link Posted: 2/16/2013 11:32:44 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 11:36:59 AM EDT
[#38]
aaaaww yes the cross fit d bags.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 11:37:13 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I have a power rack I can use at any time that is in my basement with a full set of weights.  I don't have to wipe somebody else's skanky sweat off of it to use it either. What is this foo foo gym membership thing you speak of?  Is that like a social club?

This is the way to go. I put one of these in my garage last year and I don't miss the gym.

And it's not gathering dust. Every day someone uses it. My gym had a power rack but I wasted a lot of time getting there, waiting for it to be free, searching the club for plates, etc. And it didn't have the close hole spacing in the bench press area so I couldn't find a safe way to bench alone.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 11:39:11 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
ROFL crossfit...

So, a guy I know, around 23-24 years old, unemployed, was spending his Unemployment money on doing crossfit.

I told him he's fucking crazy, might as well just get a labor position for a construction company or as a driller helper for a water well company and at least get paid to do the same shit.

My sisters ex boyfriend does cross fit, health freak,  skinny, pharmacist.  I took him climbing once and broke his little heart, that he couldn't keep up with me
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 11:39:30 AM EDT
[#41]

If you thought that was funny you'd probably like this page.
http://www.facebook.com/gymmeme?fref=ts
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 11:40:10 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:
ROFL crossfit...

My sisters ex boyfriend does cross fit, health freak,  skinny, pharmacist.  I took him climbing once and broke his little heart, that he couldn't keep up with me

Functional fitness is for suckers.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 11:41:18 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 11:41:33 AM EDT
[#44]
High toppers...city folk.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 11:43:01 AM EDT
[#45]
I don't understand why there aren't more barebones gyms.  Just weights, racks, and mats.  They are a lot less expensive than machines.  I'm stuck doing deadlifts in the squat rack because there isn't any mats.  I haven't had the gusto to try cleans :D.  Inb4 the haters.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 11:44:09 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I don't understand why there aren't more barebones gyms.  Just weights, racks, and mats.  They are a lot less expensive than machines.  I'm stuck doing deadlifts in the squat rack because there isn't any mats.  I haven't had the gusto to try cleans :D.  Inb4 the haters.

Most people have no idea how to use them.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 11:44:39 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
ROFL crossfit...

Functional fitness is for suckers.

Think of it more as tooling for a job.  An infantry or SF guy might benefit from crossfit, everyone else not so much.  Train towards what you want to do or what would benefit you with that specific benefit in mind.  For instance football players, bodybuilders, and grapplers will all have specific routines that are likely quite different.

Link Posted: 2/16/2013 11:47:27 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 11:47:42 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

They don't jive well with the current fads, basically no market for them, so they don't make money.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 11:49:18 AM EDT
[#50]

Do they have a key board?

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top