Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/20/2017 5:06:09 PM EDT
My grandfather is moving into a retirement home mid next year, and he has more tools and stuff than anyone I have ever known, but he has to get rid of most of it.

How can I go about liquidating the massive empire of tools, gadgets, and gizmos that he has?

We are going to hold a yard sale, but I doubt he will sell/get rid of enough with that alone.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 5:12:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Woodworking tools, machine tools, automotive tools? What kind of tools? Power, hand, big iron?
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 5:13:57 PM EDT
[#2]
TAG.

My dad passed last year and left a whole workshop full of tools.  I haven't even begun yet.  
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 5:14:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Sell what you can and put the rest by the curb with a "free" sign.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 5:15:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Woodworking tools, machine tools, automotive tools? What kind of tools? Power, hand, big iron?
View Quote
All of the above, drills, saws, hammers, sockets, wrenches, impact wrenches, table saws, drill presses, deemed tools, drill bits, concrete nail Guns, air tools/compressors, you name it he likely has it.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 5:15:55 PM EDT
[#5]

Link Posted: 6/20/2017 5:16:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Maybe contact a local auction house and sell it all to them.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 5:16:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Craigslist
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 5:16:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Call someone who specializes in estate sales.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 5:17:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Estate auction service.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 5:17:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Estate sale! Price it to move!
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 5:21:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
All of the above, drills, saws, hammers, sockets, wrenches, impact wrenches, table saws, drill presses, deemed tools, drill bits, concrete nail Guns, air tools/compressors, you name it he likely has it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Any woodworking clubs in your area? Any car clubs with guys who like to do their own wrenching?
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 5:21:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote
It'll be pennies on the dollar but the alternative is you selling each item individually. How much time and effort can you spare to try to sell everything?
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 5:25:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Unfortunately it gets put on a auction around here and sells for pennys on the dollar
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 5:28:37 PM EDT
[#14]
If you auction it it will sell for Pennys on the dollar
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 5:30:14 PM EDT
[#15]
If you want to put the work into it woodworking tools go to Woodnet and/or Sawcreek Mill forums, other tools Garage Journal. Junk goes on Craigslist.

If he has any Handplanes, spokeshaves, ect, I'm interested.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 5:30:25 PM EDT
[#16]
I guess I will have to post things on eBay/Craigslist in sets after I sort it all, I'm thinking about getting a storage unit or shipping container to store it in while I move it online.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 5:31:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
If you want to put the work into it woodworking tools go to Woodnet and/or Sawcreek Mill forums, other tools Garage Journal. Junk goes on Craigslist.

If he has any Handplanes, spokeshaves, ect, I'm interested.
View Quote
I believe he has a few antique habdplanes, I'm not too sure about the spokeshaves.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 5:31:38 PM EDT
[#18]
Is there a spot on this forum where I can post for a tag sale/estate sale and take requests?
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 5:35:24 PM EDT
[#19]
one of the guys at work works with a guy whos father passed,  all he did was tell a couple of guys that they were going to be selling stuff an X address and please show up with cash and a truck

it was cleaned out in 3 days,  he had a shop full of tools,  but they were selling stuff really cheap,  I got 6 K in small pistol primers for 40 bucks.  he had 17 hornady presses in different calibers

so if you put the word out people will show up and lot of it will move.

I hope everything works out.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 5:37:37 PM EDT
[#20]
If tools sell for pennies on the dollar, it's because
A - they are not really very good quality tools to start with or were not taken care of and are beat or rusted up
B - the family has no idea of worth if they are good and don't seek an auctioneer who
Specializes in tools.  
C - the family fails to give the auctioneer a good list of tools with pictures (for auctionzip) for his Internet listing and for in the Sunday paper, so collectors and users won't likely know about it.

The last several years has seen a big resurgence in the popularity of good, old Woodworking tools, particularly saws, planes, chisels, good measurement and marking tools.

Find out in as much detail or catalog what your grandfather has.  Then have a look at eBay and see if that tool has any value.   Some old tools you may want to go right to eBay.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 5:40:19 PM EDT
[#21]
Find a an auction house/service
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 5:42:41 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote
Had neighbors heirs do this, they were happy with the service.  I'm sure YMMV.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 5:50:12 PM EDT
[#23]
I'm setting up my garage finally, so I'm interested!
Where in ct?  I would like to help out if you want, especially if stuff is for sale!
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 5:51:29 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Is there a spot on this forum where I can post for a tag sale/estate sale and take requests?
View Quote
I don't think EE takes auctions, but you can sell individual items.

Got chisels and gouges?  
How about old fashioned woodworker's tools (molding planes, scrapers).
Machinists tools?
Measuring devices?
Milling machine?
Kennedy tool boxes?
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 5:53:56 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
My latest experience is that they suck. They are contracted to sell everything, so they price it low. Kestrel windmeter? $2
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 5:58:17 PM EDT
[#26]
Why not keep it and have the ultimate shop?

I bet gramps would be happy you have his stuff and then pass it on to your kids.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 5:58:24 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Estate auction service.
View Quote
This. We sold all of my Mom's excess stuff using an on-line estate auction company. Almost nothing was too small to list. Everything sold.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 6:01:38 PM EDT
[#28]
A good auction service in CT. It is quick and clean way to clean it all out. There are many in CT but this is the one I would recommend. I dont know where you are in CT but these folks travel.
Weston's Auction Gallery

AuctionZip Auctioneer ID # 2736  

R. J. Weston
2799 Route 44
Coventry, CT 06238
Phone: (860)742-0003

Craigslist and estate sales brings alot of scumbags to your house and you still have to deal with the leftovers.
Good luck man.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 6:01:53 PM EDT
[#29]
Auction company. It will take forever to get rid of it all on your own.  Just dealing with the "tire kickers" will waste most of your time.   Auction and it's over with!
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 6:02:05 PM EDT
[#30]
Auction might not be a terrible idea, especially for bigger items.

My neighbor just auctioned off some heavy duty woodworking power tools, planers, table saws , band saws, that he had accumulated over the years at his work.

The owner died, business shut down, he didn't have  room for them.

He was pleasantly surprised when the Auction house owner handed him a check for more than he had invested in the tools, most of which he had picked up used and at other auctions over the years.

People do funny stuff at auctions. I quit going to the local ones because idiots consistently bid crap up over the price you could buy it new for.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 6:06:10 PM EDT
[#31]
The first line of business is for you to know what your time is worth.

Your decision here will help mark the way forward.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 6:16:38 PM EDT
[#32]
You could also go to a local flea market and approach vendors that sell similar items and inquire if they want to make offers to buy out you grandfathers items. Exchange phone numbers and set up a meeting. A have a pal here in the midwest that makes a living reselling tools under similar conditions.

He search's Craigs list and yard sales in his spare time looking for stuff like this.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 6:20:07 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I guess I will have to post things on eBay/Craigslist in sets after I sort it all, I'm thinking about getting a storage unit or shipping container to store it in while I move it online.
View Quote
Now you are spending money to make some along with all the work. If you don't mind that sell the stuff at your place.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 6:23:22 PM EDT
[#34]
Is there anyone in the family that wants any of it?  When my Father-in-law passed away, anything not in the will was fair game.  Mother-in-law gave us a date for the auction, if you didn't pick out what you wanted before that it was going to be sold.  He didn't have a lot of tools, but all his son's took something just to remember him by.  Most of the rest was farm related equipment.

It could be pretty hard on your grandfather to see his life's collection auctioned off.  Has he given you any indication as to what he would like done with it?
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 6:42:53 PM EDT
[#35]
Auction is the way to go OP. Find a reputable auctioneer in your area and MANDATE that he list the sale in AUCTIONZIP , AUCTIONTIME and other large venues that have thousands of people that watch the sites. There are some auction cos. that partner with PROXIBID for auctions where there is a large amount of quality items. Proxibid does a "live" auction at the same time the auctioneer is at your location. It allows people from all over the country to buy. I use it a fair amount myself. A good auctioneer will be able to come in with a "team" , price everything, organize and tag items, help with shipping for out of area buyers and much more. You won`t have to lift a finger if you do it right.

Depending on the location you will have to think about parking, blocking streets etc. If there would be say, over 500 items, you might want a company that sets up for coffee and soft drinks. You`ll need to provide electricity and possibly water. All gasoline powered equip should be up and operational if possible. Be sure and put the auction ad in forums on the net like "wood working, "art and painting", "lawn equipment" etc. as you REALLY want the best buyers to show up. I went to an auction not long ago where I along with only ONE other buyer bought the majority of the "good" stuff just because the auction was Remote Control Airplane items exclusively and the auctioneer only placed the ad in AuctionZip. That`s well and good BUT the auctioneer MISSED all of the quality buyers around the country EXCEPT for myself and the other gentleman. I bought over $8000 retail worth of stuff for just under $400. Had the auctioneer posted the sale in the RC forums on the net I would NOT have been able to do that.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 6:45:44 PM EDT
[#36]
Estate sale.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 6:46:52 PM EDT
[#37]
Get your shit on EE!
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 6:49:03 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
My latest experience is that they suck. They are contracted to sell everything, so they price it low. Kestrel windmeter? $2
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
there are a few people that do that here

run the sale out of the house

They price shit high as hell and people are still lined up around the block 2 hours before the sale opening

full ebay+ pricing Friday
25% off Saturday
1/2 price Sunday

people even buy the shampoo and oven cleaner it's nuts
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 6:52:22 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

there are a few people that do that here

run the sale out of the house

They price shit high as hell and people are still lined up around the block 2 hours before the sale opening

full ebay+ pricing Friday
25% off Saturday
1/2 price Sunday

people even buy the shampoo and oven cleaner it's nuts
View Quote
They's right ya know
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 6:53:42 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote
This. One and done.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 6:58:10 PM EDT
[#41]
If yard/garage/tag/rummage sales are a big thing in that state I highly recommend making a fun long weekend of it.

In 2013, after a move & consolidating two home along with PURGING LOTS OF STUFF, I put an ad on Craigslist for Memorial weekend.  The ad stated we will roll the garage door up on Thursday at 7am and go until dark.  I had several pictures, a pretty good description to include several humorous lines like "These women are crazy! Someone come rescue me!"

We had people waiting in the driveway at 6:30am so I rolled the door up early and started trading old stuff for GREEN MONEY.  First guy spent $350.  We were busy the entire 4 days all the way until dark.  If someone was looking for something and happen to ask, I'd figure out if I had it and wanted to sell even though we had not put it out.

I sold $600 worth of old hubcaps I had collected over the years from along the roadside.  We sold an set of old, very poor shape, kitchen cabinets from our remodel that weren't even suitable for installing in the garage for $375.

Be sure to price everything TO MAKE IT GO AWAY.  Bundle up several items - even things that might seem like junk - and sell them 3 for $1.00

Renew your CL ad each day with the phrase "more stuff added".
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 6:59:35 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Estate auction service.
View Quote
This right here.  You would be surprised how much that stuff can be worth if it works.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 7:05:44 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote
This, find out who locally handles tools or farm equipment.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 7:13:21 PM EDT
[#44]
"Living Estate Auction" is probably your best bet. Might take a few months for it to happen though.

Have it on a weekend for best turnout, auctions with tools are very popular.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 10:31:47 PM EDT
[#45]
I’m in the same situation, with a full shop to liquidate.

I tried the yard sale trick.   Got nothing but people offering 2 -5 cents per dollar on top quality American made tools and equipment that was in great shape.   I sold some of the good stuff, like a new Lincoln Tig 175 for $200,  and a Miller 220v spotwelder for $50, but decided to stop giving it away to the vultures who were just going to resell it.

Oh, I did get some thieves, working together.   While one distracted me, the other stole $600 worth of digital micrometers and calipers, that I had planned to keep.

Few people today know the qualitative differences between older American tools and the chinese shit, and expect prices to be 1/10th of the Harbor Freight crap.

Keep the expensive small stuff under glass or locked up, and have a partner watching for theft.

I’ve been to a lot of auctions/estate sales, and prices depend on the economic health of your area.   My area is still depressed, so lots of auctions and few buyers, so prices have remained quite low for the seller.   The auction houses make some good $$$ with all their fees.

Hinting that you also have guns for sale, on a craigslist ad will bring a lot more customers.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 11:49:36 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Is there anyone in the family that wants any of it?  When my Father-in-law passed away, anything not in the will was fair game.  Mother-in-law gave us a date for the auction, if you didn't pick out what you wanted before that it was going to be sold.  He didn't have a lot of tools, but all his son's took something just to remember him by.  Most of the rest was farm related equipment.

It could be pretty hard on your grandfather to see his life's collection auctioned off.  Has he given you any indication as to what he would like done with it?
View Quote
This is one thing that ha seven weighing on me, but he understands that most of it he never has, and never will use or need.

He has well over 30 complete socket sets of many different brands, many copies of yard tools, and all sorts of other trinkets. He will be keeping his collections of collectibles like his patches and medals. He is borderline a tool hoarder.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 12:04:26 AM EDT
[#47]
Be careful with estate sale services if any of the items have real value.

We've had people get burned in the area lately where they contract with the service and there is an everything must go clause, authorizing the estate sale service to go as low as 20% or some low part of the original price list.

Then the company doesn't advertise or promote the sale, and just buys everything at the agreed minimum bottom price and resells it later, for fair value.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 12:06:26 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Be careful with estate sale services if any of the items have real value.

We've had people get burned in the area lately where they contract with the service and there is an everything must go clause, authorizing the estate sale service to go as low as 20% or some low part of the original price list.

Then the company doesn't advertise or promote the sale, and just buys everything at the agreed minimum bottom price and resells it later, for fair value.
View Quote
Lol that's pretty clever. Really slimy, but clever.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 12:07:31 AM EDT
[#49]
Don't throw away any old office stuff, especially fountain pens and such. If you want, throw it all in a box and I'll help you get market value out of them.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 12:13:16 AM EDT
[#50]
Have a big garage sale and make sure to put it on craigslist, advertise the best stuff, this is how I helped my Dad
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top