Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 9/30/2005 6:24:56 AM EDT
I got a call this morning askind for me by my first name.   I said yes, this is me.  Then he asks if this is xxxx Garza.  Nope buddy, wrong number.  But when I hung up I recognized his voice as my GF's exboyfriend.  I assume he's fishing trying to figure out who I am.

30 minutes later, I get another call, it's him again, asking for me by name.  Why did he wait so long?  Probably sitting around in his underwear thinking up weird shit to say to me.  Nope, wrong number.  

Then he calls back and leaves a voicemail.  "You said it wasn't you, but apparently it is.  (my voicemail has me saying my name.)  This is xxxxx ex-boyfriend.  Why dont you give me a call at xxx xxx xxx."

I am almost 30 and this guy is too, so he should have outgrown the kiddie shit.  What the hell?

According to my GF, this guy likes to make threats.  I thought I'd run down to radio shack and get one of those recording things that hook on to the telephone.  I believe in Texas I can legally do that.  That way, if he decided to threathen me, her, our vehicles, etc. I can file a complaint for terroristic threats.

I know some of you guys are older than me.  What would you do?

Link Posted: 9/30/2005 6:27:19 AM EDT
[#1]
Draw down on your phone.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 6:28:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Perhaps he's going to warn you about something you'll really, really wish you had known.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 6:29:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Check local laws, but I would hook up a recorder and call him back as if you don't know who he is or why he's calling you.

Be very polite, (example: "You better stop fucking MaryJaneRottencrotch, or I'm gonna kick your fuckin ass!"  "Gee, I'm sorry you feel that way.  Is there anything else I can do for you?"  "Yeah, motherfucker, I'll fuckin kill your ass!"  "Golly, Bob, there's no need for that.  I think we shouldn't speak anymore."  "I'll KILL YOU YOU"click.

Call cops, provide tape.

Understand?
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 6:29:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Change your voice mail message to "Sorry I cant take your call right now, I'm busy assisting customers at blah blah gunshop."

Kharn
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 6:29:35 AM EDT
[#5]
You can legally record an incoming call to you, however you cannot record a cal you make to someone else.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 6:30:10 AM EDT
[#6]
He might be trying to do you a favor. How long have you been dating his ex? He might've just gotten the results of his STD check...
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 6:31:04 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Call the police station, play back the voicemail recording and give them the backstory. Then file a harassment report on paper at the station. Then buy a vest and more ammo. If he keeps bugging you, file for a restraining order at the courthouse. Then buy a vest for your girlfriend and giver her a gun with more ammo.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 6:31:21 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Perhaps he's going to warn you about something you'll really, really wish you had known.

Yea, call him back, the worst that can happen is he threatens you or something. What if he just found out he has genital herpes? You might want to know.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 6:32:04 AM EDT
[#9]

You can legally record an incoming call to you, however you cannot record a cal you make to someone else.

Only a few states require two party consent for taping a conversation last I heard. Most require only one party consent. If you live in a one party consent state you don't have to tell the other party anything. I'd talk to him once to see what he wants. If it keeps up I'd just contact the phone company/police (whoever you have to talk to about phone harrassment. Got caller ID? Don't erase the log.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 6:32:43 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Check the law in your state before recording anyone without his knowledge.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 6:33:32 AM EDT
[#11]
If you record a conversation where he threatened your life,
and he came over and swung at you with a baseball bat,
and you shot him dead...

Wouldn't you rather have the recording to back your claim of self defense
regardless of the laws regarding recording telephone conversations?

Link Posted: 9/30/2005 6:34:05 AM EDT
[#12]
Just let him know before he speaks you're recording the call.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 6:34:22 AM EDT
[#13]
that happened to me once, dude would call right away after I hung up, I call forwarded my number to the local PD for about 20 minutes.  Problem solved!  Hope no one I wanted to call during that 20 min timeframe tried to call me
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 6:36:12 AM EDT
[#14]
Call him, record it and see WTF he wants.  Either way, you'll know where he's coming from and can plan accordingly.

HH
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 6:38:53 AM EDT
[#15]
This shit has happened to me before.

First conversation went like this.

Him; Who is this?

Me: Who the fuck is this? You called me. ( My standard response when someone calls and asks this)

Him: Hang up.

A few minutes later

Him: Hey this is dipshit and I used to date "sexy bitch"

Me: Uumm  Ok.

Him: She is crazy,  blah, blah ,blah.

Me: She hasn't done anything like that.....but of couse I'm not crazy and haven't called any of her old boyfriends and blah blah.
Then I say "I don't know how the fuck you got my fucking number, but forget it and never fucking call me again.

Him:hangs up

Me: Never heard from him again.

She was a pretty good chick really....she just didn't do it for me so I broke up with her and we are still friends.

I'm sure he is still a weird fucked up guy.

Link Posted: 9/30/2005 6:38:54 AM EDT
[#16]
Have you even remotely considered hearing what he has to say?
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 6:38:55 AM EDT
[#17]
Maybe  you should invite him over for a 3 way?

Link Posted: 9/30/2005 6:39:29 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
and you shot him dead...

Fixed it for you. If somebody threatens my life and they're stupid enough to be seen on my property...
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 6:41:33 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:
and you shot him dead...

Fixed it for you. If somebody threatens my life and they're stupid enough to be seen on my property...

Without evidence of the threat, you would be screwed.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 6:41:44 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 6:41:58 AM EDT
[#21]
Next time he calls, say you can't speak right now that his ex is giving you an excellent head job.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 6:43:30 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

\

might nt be a bad idea.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 6:44:46 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Who cares? Dude is popping off calls unsolicited, to someone who is obviously uninterested in talking to him. Fuck what he has to say.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 6:44:54 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
and you shot him dead...

Without evidence of the threat, you would be screwed.

I think that's already been covered.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 6:45:10 AM EDT
[#25]
Just quietly let him know that if he fucks with you or her in anyway he will disappear and never be found. End of discussion.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 6:46:10 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

In Texas, it's legal as long as one party is aware of the recording.  Incoming or outgoing does not matter.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 6:46:37 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Next time he calls, say you can't speak right now that his ex is giving you an excellent head job.

Bad idea. He'll just tell ask you "how do you think she got that way?" Or "Do you ever kiss her? Yeah? So how does my dick taste?"
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 6:48:12 AM EDT
[#28]
If he asks for you say "he can be reached at XXX-XXXX" (that being the phone number for the local fleabag motel) Asshat may think he (you) are with his ex at the Notell Motel and will go over there and all sorts of hilarity will ensue.

Link Posted: 9/30/2005 6:49:05 AM EDT
[#29]
Fuck him and whatever he has to say.
There is something wrong with someone who would call a stranger and "talk shit" about someone he was suppose to care about.
I never talk bad about a chick I used to date......Hell it makes me look bad for dating a crazy bitch like that.

If it didn't work out for him and her it has nothing to do with you and her.

Don't let him poison your mind with his issues.

Go out with her and get to know her and if it doesn't work you will know.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 6:49:39 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Based on what law?
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 6:51:26 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Bad idea. He'll just tell ask you "how do you think she got that way?" Or "Do you ever kiss her? Yeah? So how does my dick taste?"

So, why are you calling Justa_TXguy?
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 6:53:02 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 6:56:09 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

So, why are you calling Justa_TXguy?

Trying to get him to share your mom's phone number.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 6:56:39 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Draw down on your phone.

Link Posted: 9/30/2005 6:58:07 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
I got a call this morning askind for me by my first name.   I said yes, this is me.  Then he asks if this is xxxx Garza.  Nope buddy, wrong number.  But when I hung up I recognized his voice as my GF's exboyfriend.  I assume he's fishing trying to figure out who I am.

30 minutes later, I get another call, it's him again, asking for me by name.  Why did he wait so long?  Probably sitting around in his underwear thinking up weird shit to say to me.  Nope, wrong number.  

Then he calls back and leaves a voicemail.  "You said it wasn't you, but apparently it is.  (my voicemail has me saying my name.)  This is xxxxx ex-boyfriend.  Why dont you give me a call at xxx xxx xxx."

I am almost 30 and this guy is too, so he should have outgrown the kiddie shit.  What the hell?

According to my GF, this guy likes to make threats.  I thought I'd run down to radio shack and get one of those recording things that hook on to the telephone.  I believe in Texas I can legally do that.  That way, if he decided to threathen me, her, our vehicles, etc. I can file a complaint for terroristic threats.

Just whop his ass if you can.  If not then just take a ass whooping like a man.  Calling the police and shit?  People like you make it hard to get into a fight nowadays  Gotta worry about someone crying for the teacher lol.  What ever happened to taking up for yourself?  
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 7:00:33 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

To which you reply...

"I don't know for sure, but it probably tastes like your mother."

Get it?
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 7:00:50 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 7:02:23 AM EDT
[#38]
Change your Phone Number
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 7:02:58 AM EDT
[#39]
Listen to the bluegrass girl, hear him out once and then go from there. You really don't have anything to lose if you're mature enough to take whatever info he gives you and make your own decisions.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 7:07:20 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

That your girlfriend was actually a guy.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 8:00:38 AM EDT
[#41]
I'd shoot the phone in the face.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 8:10:22 AM EDT
[#42]
Do not call him.  BUT be prepared at all times to record any incoming calls from him.

There are small suction cup mics you can get from Radio Shack, hook to a minicassette recorder.  Test it and have your record level preset.

Remember, do not call him.  Make HIM be the instigator, the aggressor.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 8:15:47 AM EDT
[#43]
why would the former have your phone # anyway?.....hmm
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 8:21:02 AM EDT
[#44]
I got that same call.  Turns out the guy was dating my ex-wife and he couldn't believe all the evil shit she told him I did.  So, he called me to see if she was on the up&up.

I spent about an hour on the phone with him.  Filled him in on what SHE actually did...  cheating, etc.

He said he'd noticed all the same mannerisms in her and would keep an eye out.

Week later he called back to say that he'd caught her cheating and kicked her to the curb (like I did.)

Scary part was he said she would talk about me all the time and had pictures of me EVERYWHERE.

I am so NOT "all that"... but she's Psycho Mom and I wouldn't doubt it for a minute that she had the pics laying around.

Thanks the good Lord we never had kids.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 8:23:24 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

In TX you can legally record a call if you are one of the parties in the conversation, and notification of the recording is not required.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 8:33:39 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
I got that same call.  Turns out the guy was dating my ex-wife and he couldn't believe all the evil shit she told him I did.  So, he called me to see if she was on the up&up.

I spent about an hour on the phone with him.  Filled him in on what SHE actually did...  cheating, etc.

He said he'd noticed all the same mannerisms in her and would keep an eye out.

Week later he called back to say that he'd caught her cheating and kicked her to the curb (like I did.)

Scary part was he said she would talk about me all the time and had pictures of me EVERYWHERE.

I am so NOT "all that"... but she's Psycho Mom and I wouldn't doubt it for a minute that she had the pics laying around.

Thanks the good Lord we never had kids.

Am I missing something or is KISS incredibly GAY?

Link Posted: 9/30/2005 8:36:41 AM EDT
[#47]
Get a recorder and call him to hear what he has to say. If he starts shit, get some good stuff on tape and keep it for a rainy day.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 8:38:55 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
On the Nosey.  This is the best way to deal with it.  Of course, he could just be calling to tell you she emptied his checking account after she left him with Ghonoriphilis or something.

They have an inhaler that will clear that up in a few days.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 8:39:16 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Not in many states......

Link Posted: 9/30/2005 8:41:04 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
Draw down on your phone.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top