Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/5/2002 7:47:44 PM EDT
OK so I have this friend at work who has one of those key chain pepper spray bottles, so I said I would bring in my Israeli gas mask and test it out!  We decided to go buy a larger more potent bottle of pepper spray and try it out also.  FYI the filter has had the seal off for about a year now, so I was afraid it might not work so great.  I put on a chemical hood as well to keep from getting my hair etc. soaked in pepper spray.  First we try the small bottle then the big one.  It may seem like short bursts but I was a little nervous...hehe.  At the end, you can see that some of the pepper spray (not very much, either) got through the hood and onto my neck, which started to burn pretty bad.  

This is a Windows Media file.  Hope you all like it.

[url]http://users.ihost.biz/greg/downloads/PepperSpray128k.wmv[/url]

Link Posted: 3/5/2002 7:53:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Why?

Now you need to get some new filters.

medcop

edited to add: Not saying I would not have done it...but I would still be asking myself..why I did it.
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 8:03:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Why?

Now you need to get some new filters.

Are you kidding, I have a ton of 'em!  

I did it because:
1) To see if it works!
2) To see if the un-capped old filter still worked!
3) It was fun, yep
Link Posted: 3/6/2002 8:07:59 AM EDT
[#3]
SN,

Thanks for the test. Isn't it nice to have confidence in your gear before ya need it?!

BTW, gutsey move. [beer]
Link Posted: 3/6/2002 8:17:07 AM EDT
[#4]
Sorry to burst your bubble..but just because it works on OC or CS doesn't mean it's going to be worth a wet hanky against NBC agent.  The reason an old filter works fine against OC, CS, or CN is twofold - those agents are particulates that are easily filtered out by the HEPA stage in the canister, and the effective concentration is much higher than the LD50 of a nerve agent.  

Expired filters are a gamble...the adsorbent material may work, and it may not.  One that's been open for a year would really be taking chances...and I don't want to find out by suffering miosis, rhinitis, depressed respiration, convulsions, and death. [xx(]  Especially since you probably don't have any atropine, pralidoxime chloride, or diazepam readily available.

QS
Link Posted: 3/6/2002 8:49:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/6/2002 9:00:34 AM EDT
[#6]
It's hard to say..it really depends on the make and the packaging, as well as how it was stored.  Most of the Israeli masks have filters that date to the 60s or 70s...and even if storage conditions were optimal you're risking your life to depend on them.

Same thing with the masks.

If you really want to be secure against these threats, you need a new mask and new filters, of the appropriate type and rating.  The best value-for-money is the MSA Advantage 1000...but you need to order the CBA-RCA filters to go with it..the one that comes with it is only rated for riot control agents.
Link Posted: 3/6/2002 9:05:40 AM EDT
[#7]
Not to depress anyone, but I think we should honestly define what the gas masks are being kept for.

I have my mask for domestic disturbances that may require the local gendarmes to pepper the street with CS or OC canisters in order to "control" a riot or other mass disturbance.  It is in this scenario that I see deployment of simply a gas mask without other protective gear which I do not own.

Having more knowledge about NBC than I ever wanted, I know for a fact that most commercially-available (and some military ones as well) are totally useless against weapons-grade chemicals designed to inflict mass casualties.

So I had two options:  Prepare for the nightmare of chemical warfare by spending thousands of dollars on top-of-the-line MOPS gear, or simply accept that if NBC is used, I have a pistol with one bullet left.

Depressing, but true.  But it does not prevent me from testing my gas mask, as well. It makes good sense to do so as long as you are testing against conditions you expect your mask to protect you from.

I believe this experiment was both valid and enlightening.  Now, what kind of mask is it and what kind of filters were used?

And, now that you have tested it, have you dry-fire practiced while wearing it?  I've found that the eye-hole type gas masks, vs the single-faceplate gas masks, are harder to sight a rifle while wearing.  But the single-faceplate masks are more expensive.  IMHO it's a valid trade off if you can find filters for that single-faceplate type.

Good luck and keep up your equipment.  You never know when you might need it.

Panz
[bounce]
Link Posted: 3/6/2002 9:39:55 AM EDT
[#8]
When I was young I bought a WWII surplus British gasmask in container with bag, filter eyewipes etc. at a local surplus store.

I used it when I took a dump in the old outhouse at deer camp.  I wonder whatever happened to that old gas mask?  It's probably still at deer camp.

Say, do you think your gasmask would protect you from a stun gun?  You should try that out and post the pics.
Link Posted: 3/6/2002 9:40:35 AM EDT
[#9]
When I was young I bought a WWII surplus British gasmask in container with bag, filter eyewipes etc. at a local surplus store.

I used it when I took a dump in the old outhouse at deer camp.  I wonder whatever happened to that old gas mask?  It's probably still at deer camp.

Say, do you think your gasmask would protect you from a stun gun?  You should try that out and post the pics.

P.S. I hope that you never intend to "test" your body armor.
Link Posted: 3/6/2002 10:10:01 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Not to depress anyone, but I think we should honestly define what the gas masks are being kept for.

I have my mask for domestic disturbances that may require the local gendarmes to pepper the street with CS or OC canisters in order to "control" a riot or other mass disturbance.  It is in this scenario that I see deployment of simply a gas mask without other protective gear which I do not own.

Having more knowledge about NBC than I ever wanted, I know for a fact that most commercially-available (and some military ones as well) are totally useless against weapons-grade chemicals designed to inflict mass casualties.
Depressing, but true.  But it does not prevent me from testing my gas mask, as well. It makes good sense to do so as long as you are testing against conditions you expect your mask to protect you from.

I believe this experiment was both valid and enlightening.  Now, what kind of mask is it and what kind of filters were used?

And, now that you have tested it, have you dry-fire practiced while wearing it?  I've found that the eye-hole type gas masks, vs the single-faceplate gas masks, are harder to sight a rifle while wearing.  But the single-faceplate masks are more expensive.  IMHO it's a valid trade off if you can find filters for that single-faceplate type.

Panz
[bounce]
View Quote

Panz,

You are wholly correct...a good mask is not the only protection you need from NBC agents...and you are also correct to state that riot control agents are the primary reason to have a mask.  However, I think a lot of our less-informed brethren believe that an $10 Israeli mask is a magic device that will render them impervious to CW/BW agents...and I like to take any opportunity to correct that misconception.

QS
Link Posted: 3/6/2002 11:51:32 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

So I had two options:  Prepare for the nightmare of chemical warfare by spending thousands of dollars on top-of-the-line MOPS gear, or simply accept that if NBC is used, I have a pistol with one bullet left.

Panz
[bounce]
View Quote

Panz,

I wholly agree.  I basically only count on using my masks in a pepper spray/CS gas situation.  I tested it against the same, and it worked (boy was I relieved!) The mask was the standard Israeli civilian issue & canisters from Cheaper Quality Than Dirt.  And the stinging on my neck went away after several hours.  I think a bit got on my arms from washing it off my neck, which were still burning this morning.

And believe me guys, the first time you see a stream of pepper spray coming straight towards your face it will make your heart jump!  

Schnert: We'll probably aquire a stun gun and/or taser soon, but nobody will volunteer to test it yet :)
Link Posted: 3/6/2002 11:55:00 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Panz
[bounce]
View Quote

Forgot to reply about dry-firing... yep, it's a bit hard to aim, the filter gets in the way.  Maybe when I have some more $$$ I'll get a better mask with a side filter.
Link Posted: 3/6/2002 1:02:32 PM EDT
[#13]
never heard them called that before, but it fits [:)]

Quoted:
Panz,
The mask was the standard Israeli civilian issue & canisters from Cheaper Quality Than Dirt.  
View Quote
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top