Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/3/2006 2:59:59 PM EDT
A few days ago some friends invited me to go to their "boxing club."  Which is basically a bunch of friends that get togehter and box with eachother.  I didnt want to go at first but after awhile they talked me into going....I mean ive never boxed before in my life...hell...ive never even been in a fight before.

Since I had no idea what I was doing they taught me some techniques and said that I had a really strong punch(I was the pitcher and q-B) and let me watch for awhile.  Then the friend who invited me wants me to go up against me.  Hes about twice my size....so I say hell no!...but he talks me into doing it.  The whole round is pretty much a practice round....he was coaching me on what to do....and he got a few good hits to my face and I got maybe one hit to his face.

Then they pair me up with a guy thats about my same size.  I watched this guy fight earlier and he knocked the shit out of a few other guys...plus he was really fast...so I was a little scared.  We start the round he gets a few hits then I get one good him....then I see an opening and hit him so hard it stung my hand alittle.  He went straight to the ground and didnt get back up.  Blood was running out of his nose and/or mouth.  Everybody started yelling and cheering....I was really suprised that I did that....I thought he was going to kick MY ass.

Then I go up agaisnt my friend who invited me.  I get in one good hit....then that bastard just knocks the shit out of me.  I didnt even see it coming.  All I remeber is seeing a bright green flash and then being on my back.  My jaw still hurts from that..I actually think I chipped a tooth...I should have worn a mouth piece or something.  

He came over and said "Damn you got up fast!  I didnt think you were going to get back up after that one!"

Even though my jaw, head, and face were hurting pretty bad I really liked it!  I wanna go back and do it again....I think im addicted now.

Link Posted: 4/3/2006 3:07:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Awesome.
Getting a good feel of distance, opportunities to attack, and effective defense skills is great practice and experience if you ever had to do it for real in the street.  The hardest part is keeping your eyes open and comprehending what is going on in that stressful environment.  Pay special attention if you start to tunnel vison or clam up in defense.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 3:10:49 PM EDT
[#2]
OK. Good.

Now find a place that teaches MMA/NHB/UFC style self-defense.

The first time you make someone TAPOUT is an incredible feeling.

I think you'll find it to your liking.

HS1
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 3:11:41 PM EDT
[#3]
IBSDP

in before the squat dog photoshops
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 3:12:36 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
A few days ago some friends invited me to go to their "boxing club."  Which is basically a bunch of friends that get togehter and box with eachother.  I didnt want to go at first but after awhile they talked me into going....I mean ive never boxed before in my life...hell...ive never even been in a fight before.

Since I had no idea what I was doing so they taught me some techniques and said that I had a really strong punch(I was the pitcher and q-B) and let me watch for awhile.  Then the friend who invited me wants me to go up against me.  Hes about twice my size....so I say hell no!...but he talks me into doing it.  The whole round is pretty much a practice round....he was coaching me on what to do....and he got a few good hits to my face and I got maybe one hit to his face.

Then they pair me up with a guy thats about my same size.  I watched this guy fight earlier and he knocked the shit out of a few other guys...plus he was really fast...so I was a little scared.  We start the round he gets a few hits then I get one good him....then I see an opening and hit him so hard it stung my hand alittle.  He went straight to the ground and didnt get back up.  Blood was running out of his nose and/or mouth.  Everybody started yelling and cheering....I was really suprised that I did that....I thought he was going to kick MY ass.

Then I go up agaisnt my friend who invited me.  I get in one good hit....then that bastard just knocks the shit out of me.  I didnt even see it coming.  All I remeber is seeing a bright green flash and then being on my back.  My jaw still hurts from that..I actually think I chipped a tooth...I should have worn a mouth piece or something.  

He came over and said "Damn you go up fast!  I didnt think you were going to get back up after that one!"

Even though my jaw, head, and face were hurting pretty bad I really liked it!  I wanna go back and do it again....I think im addicted now.

lol. Yup the green flash.... I know it all too well lol....

Go back. You will be glad you did...

My cousins & I are into mixed martial arts (basically Ultimate Fighting Champoinship type rules)

Our training facility is his old 2 car garage... we turned into a gym with wall to wall mats & heavy bags & everything you could ever need... We have trained with a few famous folks too.

On the wall overtop of the entrance is a sign that reads:

Beyond this door lies a world of blood, sweat, and pain. Yet through determination and perserverance, you will be given a gift that noone will ever be able to take away from you.
Many have passed through this doorway..... Few have stayed.

I came up with that myself

Enjoy your new found passion. for that is exactly what it will become if you stick with it.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 3:14:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Speedbag.
Jump rope.
Run.

Link Posted: 4/3/2006 3:14:35 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
OK. Good.

Now find a place that teaches MMA/NHB/UFC style self-defense.

The first time you make someone TAPOUT is an incredible feeling.

I think you'll find it to your liking.

HS1

+100

ive trained with Team Bison, a MMA / grappling team... and i must say- making someone tap out with a choke or arm-bar is quite the rush.  plus mma teaches you how to defend on the ground too, in case you get into a fight and the guy is a wrestler...

keep it up...  and youll find out the guys kicking the shit out of you the worst, will become your best friends.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 3:20:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Go buy yourself a mouth-piece, now.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 3:21:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Never talk about Fight Club.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 3:21:50 PM EDT
[#9]
I used to cover the Fight Night amateur contest back in college.  (SFASU)  One year, I was sitting at the edge of the ring taking notes while they announced the next match.  

"In the blue corner, weighing 250, Gary Bass. And in the red blah, blah, blah."

"Hey, we have a reporter named Gary Bass (I looked up.)  Uh oh."

Gary was a freshman reporter who was a big goofy fellow who had the build for a watching boxing, not actaully doing it.  Great guy, good writer, funny, but not a pugilist.  His opponent looked like the Russian from Rocky 5.  Right before the bell rang, you could tell that Gary might have been having second thoughts.

*ding*

Surprisingly, it wasn't a complete slaughter.  It sounded like someone beating a side of beef with a 2x4.  Gary got in a shot or two before the other guy hit him with one of those uppercuts that started in the next county.  Gary was out.  He got back up before the end of the count, but you could tell that nobody was home.  The ref called it for his opponent and that was the end of his boxing career.  I saw him a few days later and he was still moving pretty slow.  
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 3:25:13 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

yeah, no shit.

boxing without a mouthpiece is dumber than riding a motorcycle without a helmet.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 3:25:14 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Never talk about Fight Club.

Damnit, you beat me to it.

Link Posted: 4/3/2006 3:30:25 PM EDT
[#12]
<-----Boxing/muay thai/judo for the last 11 years.  Hapkido before that.

Every man should know how to defend himself.

Good on ya!

Wait till you get choked out the first time. Woo hoo!

BC
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 3:40:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 3:42:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Any ideas how to find MMA places?  I've really wanted to get into this for a few years, but haven't had much luck locating anything...
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 3:43:23 PM EDT
[#15]
If you're going to do it, wear the proper gear. Mouthguard, boxing helmet, etc. Otherwise you'll be out some teeth and turn your brains to mush.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 3:50:01 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
One night of kick boxing was enough for me, those stupid gloves are almost worse than getting punched with a fist.

Nothing like getting your brain bounced off the inside of your skull, have fun.

One of my sergeants in the army had been boxing since he was a little kid.

On the upside, he was the Danish amateur champion in his weightclass.

On the downside, his speech was somewhat slurred, and you had to explain things to him slowly

Link Posted: 4/3/2006 3:55:24 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Best advice so far.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 4:04:41 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Any ideas how to find MMA places?  I've really wanted to get into this for a few years, but haven't had much luck locating anything...

Yellowpages

or you could go over to Bullshido and ask if anyone knows of a 'real' MMA gym in your area.

BC
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 5:12:14 PM EDT
[#19]

want to find an MMA gym ?

go to the local "tough man"  / "cage fights" / mma fights- and pay attention to which teams are winning the most fights.  approach and talk to one of their members, tell them youre interested in training with them. dont bullshit them either about your experience- these guys dont like shit talkers / big mouths on their turf. they will respect a new-bie who has heart more than some loud mouth guy who says this and that but doesnt have the skill to back it up.  get a phone number for their coach to find out where they train.  

i happened to have a teacher in high school who is one of the trainers at my team, thats how i found out about it.  the best teams... DONT charge you for training.  you may go to a jiu-jitsu team paying 70bucks a month and not learn shit.

get a mouthguard NOW. go to your local dentist and tell them you need to be fitted for a professional mouth guard. they take a mold of your mouth, and it takes a day or two to get the actual mouth guard... the $1.25 ones at walmart... suck.  the professional one cost me $30.00 and it was worth every penny.

good luck, enjoy it and be careful. be sure to drink enough water too, boxing / jiu jitsu is tough on the joints and being dehydrated makes it even worse.  youll find out these guys will become your family.

i trained with Team Bison for two winters now- www.bisons.net    team members- Rob Miller   so i know a thing or two... send me an instant message if you have any questions
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 5:15:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Squatdog.

I miss him.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top