Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/22/2003 6:48:57 AM EDT
Quite some time ago I posted pictures of the Coehorn mortar barrel I ordered from Hern Iron Works of Coeur d'Alene Idaho.

www.hernironworks.com

Well, she's finally done.  The barrel weighs about 80 lbs.  2 1/4" bore.  Total weight of barrel, hardware, and base is roughly 185 lbs.  Luckily, the barrel can be separated from the base easily for moving it.  Base is constucted of 10 2X10 boards 31" in length glued and bolted side by side.

This one isn't mine though...my parents (father) are getting it for Christmas...they have no idea...

Here she is!  Beer bottle provided for scale.

Link Posted: 12/22/2003 6:57:10 AM EDT
[#1]
Pardon my igorance, but what can it shoot?  How do you adjust point of aim/impact?

It looks cool as hell!
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 7:03:55 AM EDT
[#2]
You just slide wedges underneath it....like yankee belt buckles....
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 7:04:31 AM EDT
[#3]
wow! a shoebox mortar!  Shoeshine anyone?

Link Posted: 12/22/2003 7:06:08 AM EDT
[#4]
Can you shoot concrete filled beer/soda cans with it?
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 7:07:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Pardon my igorance, but what can it shoot?  How do you adjust point of aim/impact?

It looks cool as hell!
View Quote

I would guess it shoots a 2.25" diameter lead ball propelled by about 1oz or so of Fg or FFg black powder.  Swing the base plate for azmuth adjustment, and vary the powder charge or slip a wedge under the base plate to adjust range.

JUST A GUESS!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top