Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 4/11/2005 5:16:18 AM EDT
Kinda sucky pics, but I'll be getting a better camera and mount soon.

Link Posted: 4/11/2005 5:18:44 AM EDT
[#1]
The horses are like "WTF?".
Link Posted: 4/11/2005 5:18:56 AM EDT
[#2]
That horse sees the chopper.

Seriously - good quality pics.  How high can the helo go?
Link Posted: 4/11/2005 5:21:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Neat! Can you describe your setup a little? Are you triggering the camera from the ground, or is it on a timer? What is your effective range? Gas or electric helo? Gyro stabilized?
Link Posted: 4/11/2005 5:22:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Lets see some pictures of the chopper and your set up.  I used to have a RC chopper back in college.  Never did learn to fly it real good.  What size and kind is it?
Link Posted: 4/11/2005 5:25:52 AM EDT
[#5]
Man you have issues, those are really great photo's! Give us what type of chopper and where the rest of us can get a kick ass toy like that. Nice, very nice. Figure out how to mount a bottle rocket to it and you have a UAV.
Link Posted: 4/11/2005 5:26:17 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Lets see some pictures of the chopper and your set up.  I used to have a RC chopper back in college.  Never did learn to fly it real good.  What size and kind is it?

+1   on the pics.  I have been curious about RC helos for some time, but never got into it at all.  At my local fishing spot there is a "flight line" where a group of guys take off and land RC planes and helicopters (about 3 miles from the river itself).  I like to go watch em do the aerobatics and practice their takeoff and landings.

One guy asked me if I wanted to try, but I was afraid I'd crash his stuff so I politely declined; but I sure was tempted.  I never thought about cameras on them, that would be too cool.
Link Posted: 4/11/2005 5:33:12 AM EDT
[#7]
It's a mid sized (50) electric (Mikado, Logo 20) with a three phase A.C. motor making about 1.5 horsepower. It uses 2 packs of 12 cell NiMh's in series. The camera is a cheap cannon digital. I trigger it with a microswitch mounted to a servo with the servo arm hitting the switch, which closes the shutter. I hacked into the camera to get the shutter contacts. I just flip a switch on the transmitter to trip the shutter. Effective range is as far as I can see the chopper. The camera is mounted to the front of the ship using foam rubber backing and heavy rubber bands, and the lanyard wrapped around the battery mounts as a safety. The only gyro is on the tail rotor servo, for heading hold. I will post pics of the setup when I get a chance. The horses were really excited when I first took off. They are usually pretty bored so anything unusual gets their attention.
Link Posted: 4/11/2005 5:37:28 AM EDT
[#8]
That's really cool.  Tag for pics of the chopper itself.
Link Posted: 4/11/2005 5:38:10 AM EDT
[#9]
Cool pics..................The one of the horses cracks me up
Link Posted: 4/11/2005 5:38:38 AM EDT
[#10]
thats cool! great way to check your area out!
Link Posted: 4/11/2005 5:40:26 AM EDT
[#11]
Have you found the spot where good looking women sunbathe?
Link Posted: 4/11/2005 5:40:39 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
It's a mid sized (50) electric (Mikado, Logo 20) with a three phase A.C. motor making about 1.5 horsepower. It uses 2 packs of 12 cell NiMh's in series. The camera is a cheap cannon digital. I trigger it with a microswitch mounted to a servo with the servo arm hitting the switch, which closes the shutter. I hacked into the camera to get the shutter contacts. I just flip a switch on the transmitter to trip the shutter. Effective range is as far as I can see the chopper. The camera is mounted to the front of the ship using foam rubber backing and heavy rubber bands, and the lanyard wrapped around the battery mounts as a safety. The only gyro is on the tail rotor servo, for heading hold. I will post pics of the setup when I get a chance. The horses were really excited when I first took off. They are usually pretty bored so anything unusual gets their attention.

why no LiPY's come on NiMH are so last generation.
Link Posted: 4/11/2005 5:41:33 AM EDT
[#13]
Cool .... Im working on doing Aerial Photography with my RC plane ..... what camera are you using? Nevermind, I see it now ... canon digital...

Im considering a wireless video camera and/or getting a Nikon 3700 that takes continuous video.

I agree with JBowles, LiPo's are the ticket! (expensive, but worth it)
Link Posted: 4/11/2005 6:04:42 AM EDT
[#14]
"why no LiPY's come on NiMH are so last generation."

Actually these are a new generation of NiMh cells that give a lot more energy than the old NiCd and NiMh cells. I get 12 to 15 minutes of flight with a pretty heavy setup. The reasons for not going to LiPo batteries are numerous. The main reasons are: Safety, LiPo's frequently catch fire when charged or discharged too fast, or suffer any kind of shock or puncture. They require constant attention and a special fireproof area to charge/store. Cost, they are very expensive. To replace my current packs with LiPo would cost about $450.00 plus shipping. Value, they are notoriuos for only lasting 50 to 100 cycles. I can get at least 500 cycles out of my current packs. They are lighter and have a better power density ratio, but it's just not worth the risk to me right now. With the current combo I can lift enough weight to take live video or stills with a donwlink transmitter and still get 10 or 12 minutes of safe flying time, with about 2 minutes of reserve. I already have about two grand tied up in all this crap, and I just started taking pictures and video.
Link Posted: 4/11/2005 6:06:25 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Have you found the spot where good looking women sunbathe?

Swimming pool recon
Link Posted: 4/11/2005 6:13:35 AM EDT
[#16]
What does the whole setup cost?
Link Posted: 4/11/2005 6:14:08 AM EDT
[#17]
Electric??  Should have went glow fuel man!

Just kidding.  Awesome pictures can't wait to see pictures of the set up.
Link Posted: 4/11/2005 6:18:53 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
The horses are like "WTF?".

+1   I thought the same thing

pretty cool pics!!
Link Posted: 4/11/2005 6:19:04 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Diesel !
Link Posted: 4/11/2005 6:19:13 AM EDT
[#20]
... Very cool man

... You could get hired into an FCS job with that kinda interest and ability
Link Posted: 4/11/2005 6:22:09 AM EDT
[#21]
OK THATS JUST WAY TO COOL!

GOOD WORK!
Link Posted: 4/11/2005 6:23:59 AM EDT
[#22]
Now that is cool! Great pics....love to see the set up you rigged.
Link Posted: 4/11/2005 6:26:34 AM EDT
[#23]
Great photos, how about one of the chopper?
Link Posted: 4/11/2005 6:30:28 AM EDT
[#24]
sweet
Link Posted: 4/11/2005 6:31:40 AM EDT
[#25]
tagd
Link Posted: 4/11/2005 6:32:15 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Great photos, how about one of the chopper?

+1
Link Posted: 4/11/2005 6:32:20 AM EDT
[#27]
Dude, you should come to Bulletfest and bring the copter with you. You could get some very cool  photos of the firing line with that set up.

I have always had an interest in RC helicopters but have heard that they are very hard to learn to fly. I shudder to think of a $2000 RC becoming a scrap heap due to a crash.
Link Posted: 4/11/2005 6:33:45 AM EDT
[#28]
Helo pix!
Link Posted: 4/11/2005 6:34:54 AM EDT
[#29]
Great job!  I'm impressed. One guy at the AMA field had a fixed wing large enough to mount a video camera and a transmitter in it.  Then he flew the airplane like he was in it by watching the monitor.  Sounds like it would be a piece of cake for you.  BTW, the pictures look pretty clear to me.  If you do any more of this, please post the pics.
Link Posted: 4/11/2005 6:42:20 AM EDT
[#30]
tag.

Those aren't crappy pix by any measure.  I too would like to see pictures of the helo.

J
Link Posted: 4/11/2005 6:46:28 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Dude, you should come to Bulletfest and bring the copter with you. You could get some very cool  photos of the firing line with that set up.

I have always had an interest in RC helicopters but have heard that they are very hard to learn to fly. I shudder to think of a $2000 RC becoming a scrap heap due to a crash.

Actually, I already thought of that but I need to have a better setup before attemting any big projects like that. Crashes are inevitable with RC, especially with choppers. That's why I don't do any flying over people, vehicles or buildings (other than my own). I can live with trashing my rig, but I could loose my shirt if I damaged anyones property. And, I shudder to think if it hit a person. People have been killed by these things. Those blades are more than four feet in diameter, and are swinging around at more that 200mph at the tips. You have eight pounds of brick if you loose power, and one chance to autorotate. These are NOT toys. I will try to get some pics of the rig tonight and post them tomorrow.
Link Posted: 4/11/2005 6:50:44 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Actually, I already thought of that but I need to have a better setup before attemting any big projects like that. Crashes are inevitable with RC, especially with choppers. That's why I don't do any flying over people, vehicles or buildings (other than my own). I can live with trashing my rig, but I could loose my shirt if I damaged anyones property. And, I shudder to think if it hit a person. People have been killed by these things. Those blades are more than four feet in diameter, and are swinging around at more that 200mph at the tips. You have eight pounds of brick if you loose power, and one chance to autorotate. These are NOT toys. I will try to get some pics of the rig tonight and post them tomorrow.

Try flying single-engine IFR at night over a populated area for a little pucker factor.  
Link Posted: 4/11/2005 6:54:51 AM EDT
[#33]
Nice!

That horse pic kills me.  
Link Posted: 4/11/2005 7:04:06 AM EDT
[#34]
Is that you standing on the roof of the house in picture 5?  Just curious.

I've flown R/C airplanes but never had the cojones (or cash) to try helicopters.  Very cool pictures.
Link Posted: 4/11/2005 7:07:17 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 4/11/2005 7:09:10 AM EDT
[#36]
That is awesome!!!!  Looks like I just found my next hobby.... now to somehow convince the wife to let me buy/build one....
Link Posted: 4/11/2005 7:15:18 AM EDT
[#37]
"Try flying single-engine IFR at night over a populated area for a little pucker factor."

Actually, I have. Yes that was friggin scary, but It didn't make me as nervous as this. After every hop, I have to calm down for a few minutes so that my hands will stop shaking. I will get more comfortable with time, but this stuff is REALLY hard to do, and it seems like it takes a few years off my life every time I do it.

"Is that you standing on the roof of the house in picture 5? Just curious."

No, it's just a chimney. I'm actually standing about 100' behind and to the right of the chopper. It's about 80' up, in that pic. The land is in a valley with an upward grade towards the top. You can see that I was about level with many of the trees in the distant background.

Added: The camera is actually pointed down about 4 or 5 degrees.
Link Posted: 4/11/2005 7:19:49 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Diesel !

Trust me when I say this.
I have yet to see a Diesel model craft (land, sea and air), unless it was full sized and controled by raido.

Gas craft are huge and sound like a lawn mower or weed wacker.  
Glow produces the most power for size.  I have a .15 engine that pumps out like 1+ HP and 38,000 RPM.  (OS .15 CV-RX )  And the more powerful Traxxas 2.5 (same displacement but more power and around 40,000 RPM).  
I'm a land RC'er, putting these engines in a heli, air plane or boat would cause severe faulires.  I saw if memory serves me a .90 engine for aircraft that puts out about 3 HP.

I have also yet to see a gas powered heli so Glow fuel is the way to go.  One down side to glow fuel is that you get about half or less run time when compared to gas.  

I would love to see a diesel engine for model craft.  
And I don't mean a conversion that turns glow into diesel, I mean a straight diesel engine from the manufactur.
Link Posted: 4/11/2005 7:24:44 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
That horse sees the chopper.

Seriously - good quality pics.  How high can the helo go?

Good question!  How high can it go?  And are you anywhere near Johnstown?
Link Posted: 4/11/2005 7:53:32 AM EDT
[#40]
The horses are saying: "shouldn't you be taking pictures of women?"  
Link Posted: 4/11/2005 7:58:57 AM EDT
[#41]
Pretty cool.
Link Posted: 4/11/2005 8:01:47 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
The horses are saying: "shouldn't you be taking pictures of women?"  

Link Posted: 4/11/2005 8:03:06 AM EDT
[#43]
Tagged.  Good looking pics BTW.
Link Posted: 4/11/2005 8:13:17 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
Kinda sucky pics, but I'll be getting a better camera and mount soon.

I guess you forgot to post the "Sucky" photos.  These are really nice photos.  

I've thought about doing that but I have two big problems.  I don't have a RC helicopter and would crash it if I did.  

More photos please.  

Colt_SBR  

Link Posted: 4/11/2005 8:14:33 AM EDT
[#45]
Waiting for the pix of the RC helo.  Very cool.
Link Posted: 4/11/2005 8:16:50 AM EDT
[#46]
Let us know when you get a HellFire rigged to it.

Link Posted: 4/11/2005 8:16:59 AM EDT
[#47]
"How high can it go? And are you anywhere near Johnstown?"

It can go as far as I can see it. Radio range is approximately 2 miles, but I've never tested it. I'm in Central Pa. about 2 hours from Johnstown.

"shouldn't you be taking pictures of women?"

YES! I haven't had the opportunity to do that yet, but I plan on bringing the rig on campus this summer. Should be able to get some serious babeage pics if the rent-a-cops don't get me first.
Link Posted: 4/11/2005 8:18:19 AM EDT
[#48]
That is really cool.
Link Posted: 4/11/2005 8:20:54 AM EDT
[#49]
tag
Link Posted: 4/11/2005 8:23:19 AM EDT
[#50]
tag

Av.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top