Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/10/2001 10:28:27 AM EDT
Hi, I will be purchasing my first AR-15 this weekend, and I have reallly done my homework, I see that the Bushmaster is definitely the way to go. Like I said, I did my homework, but Im still confused on a couple of issues. Please dont kill me for sounding like a newbie(even thought I am) but whats the difference between the a1,a2,a3, m4????I have absolutely NO idea what these designations are. At the local gun shop, they pretty much all look the same to me, w/ minor variations.

This is what I know so far, I want a 16" w/ the short front handguard, as for the stock, I want the full stock (not the fake collapsible)(it can be changed later). Whats the full stock called? I really want the carry handle, i kinda like the iron sights, Is the flattop w/ the removable carry handle pretty much the same thing?

The gun is going to be used for plinking and having a good time, No competition or that kinda thing....

By the way, its going to cost me $825 before tax, is this ballpark for the NYC area? (stuff is definitely more $$ here)

One last thing, as for the barrel, what kinda flashhider/compensator should I get? like I said, they pretty much all look the same(I know I dont want that 5" long one, Id rather have the extra 3 1/2" of barrel...)

What else should I know?? Any help is appreciated and please throw you 2 cents in!!!

Link Posted: 8/10/2001 10:41:03 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/10/2001 11:18:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Why not take a look at www.bushmaster.com and do some reading. Everything will be explained there.
Link Posted: 8/10/2001 11:37:11 AM EDT
[#3]
For what your wanting from an AR15, you seriously should go here & do some reading on our AR15.com LEGP rifle. I think you will find that this would be better suited for your needs than the Bushmaster, plus it's $165.00 cheaper.

[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/forum.html?id=60[/url]

ColtShorty

GOA KABA COA JPFO SAF NRA

"I won't be wronged,  I won't be insulted
and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do
these things to other people and I require
the same from them."
Link Posted: 8/10/2001 11:43:34 AM EDT
[#4]
I got a A3 system with a handle for my Bushmaster.  Not sure what everyone else thinks, but it seems that one would need a flip front sight to make it work.  The forged front sight will interfere with the line of sight on a flat-top mounted scope.  I have a handle mount, but now I am wondering if I wasted the extra $70 I paid for the A3, and should have just gotten an A2.
Are you planning on scoping it anytime?  If not, definately go with a standard A2.

I don't have a Muzzle Brake so I can't help you there.  Bushmaster has a good add on selection.
[rocket]
Link Posted: 8/10/2001 12:46:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Everythings been covered so far except for stocks and brakes...

SO, I'll throw in my $.02...

Full Stocks: A1 is black and shorter then A2.
The A2 is 5/8" longer than the A1, and is grayish in color.
The M4 stock is the collapsible job, and is legal only on Pre-bans and Law enforcement guns...
UNLESS it is PERMANENTLY fixed in 1 position, then you can put it on a Post-ban gun.

As far as muzzle brakes go...

I've heard BAD things about the "Y-Comp"..never used it myself.  
(poor accuracy + VERY loud)

I've used the "Smith" comp and "AK" style brakes and they both work fantastic...

Hope that helps...
Link Posted: 8/10/2001 1:06:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I got a A3 system with a handle for my Bushmaster.  Not sure what everyone else thinks, but it seems that one would need a flip front sight to make it work.  The forged front sight will interfere with the line of sight on a flat-top mounted scope.  
[rocket]
View Quote

The front sight on an AR with a flat top doesn't get in the way of any optic 4x or higher.

You might see a "ghost" of the sight, but nothing that distracts at all. On my Bushmaster M4A3, I have an ACOG NSN 4x that works great. The front sight doesn't interfere. Granted, a flip-up front sight may be a little better, but certainly not required.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top