Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/1/2002 2:39:00 AM EDT
WHOO-HOOO! I turned 18 today and am going to go pick up the Bushmaster 20" HBAR that I have waiting at my local FFL in a few hours.

Here it is.
[img]http://www.gunsamerica.com/./upload/976150656.jpg[/img]

I have only seen one AR-15 before in my entire LIFE! (also one AR-10, and a few M16's on an air force base)

I've got 1000 rnds of wolf(I hope it runs alright), and 500 rnds of LC XM193 to break it in with.  I will give you guys a range report later today.  

[b]THE SUSPENSE IS KILLING ME!!!![/b]

Link Posted: 8/1/2002 4:34:05 AM EDT
[#1]
First, allow me to wish you a Happy Birthday [bday]

Second, welcome to our Obsession! Today is the first day of the rest of your life with the so-called 'evil', but totally satisfying, Black Rifle!

[b]Learn it, live it, love it![/b]

It's probably the only 'social security' you will ever have! [:D]

Eric The(AndIAin'tKidding)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 4:42:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Happy Birthday, man I wish I was smart enough to have picked up an AR-15 on my 18th B-day(29 now!)
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 5:00:22 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Happy Birthday, man I wish I was smart enough to have picked up an AR-15 on my 18th B-day(29 now!)
View Quote

You know, I have thought that same thing so many times.  I didn't get my first until I was 32.  Man, in looking back at all of the pre-bans I could have now......oh well!  ARndog....happy birthday!!  You are entering into an addictive world with these AR's!! Welcome!!!
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 5:09:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 5:12:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yeah, I know. I bought a Ruger M-44 carbine on May 3, 1970, on my 18th birthday!

It's still worth today about what I paid for it then!

I bought my first AR-15 in 1974, for $395.00.

And we all know what it is worth today! [:D]

Eric The(Priceless)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 8:29:42 AM EDT
[#6]
My compliments to you and your wonderful new "toy"... update us when you will inaugurate!!!
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 9:03:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Happy b-day to you and your rifle!!!
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 9:11:10 AM EDT
[#8]
Well Happy Birthday to you and congrats on your NEW rifle !  A boy and his rifle...  tis a beautiful thing!

Throw some lead down range for me  =)
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 9:11:32 AM EDT
[#9]
Now PRAY:

This is my rifle.
There are many like it, but this one is mine.
My rifle is my best friend.
It is my life.
I must master it as I must master my life.
Without me, my rifle is useless.
Without my rifle, I am useless.
I must fire my rifle true.
I must shoot straighter than my enemy who is trying to kill me.
I must shoot him before he shoots me.
I will!
Before God I swear this creed:
My rifle and myself are the defenders of my country.
We are the masters of our enemy.
We are the saviours of my life.
So be it!
Until there is no enemy, but peace and death.

Don't forget to tell us the name of YOUR rifle.
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 9:19:25 AM EDT
[#10]
Congrats! Nice AR!
[b]ENJOY![/b]
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 9:30:45 AM EDT
[#11]
The S has HTF!

I have the rifle and it seems like it has no defects, but I can't get to the range! [>Q]

Here is the problem: We (me and my younger brother) dissasembled the rifle, did some basic cleaning and then reassembled it.  While we were cleaning it my mom and dad left for Milwaukee for a doctor's appointment.(about a 2 hour drive)  We loaded everything up for the range, and were about to leave when we realized that we had no keys! (they were still in the car with my parents) To make things worse it seems as though there may be thunderstorms later today.[:(]

Anybody know how to hot-wire a 1995 GMC Safari? [}:D]
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 9:32:02 AM EDT
[#12]
Happy Birthday and Congratulations on your new AR!

Eric
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 9:38:05 AM EDT
[#13]
Happy Birthday and welcome to the Clan of the Great Unwashed!

TARFU
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 9:38:40 AM EDT
[#14]
I wish I were 18 again, or maybe 21 anyway.  I bought my AR on the weekend of my 18th b-day.  Many years and 1000s of round later it still runs like a champ!  Welcome to the addiction ARndog and[bday]
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 9:39:23 AM EDT
[#15]
Happy Birthday Dude!!  
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 9:45:07 AM EDT
[#16]
happy b-day!  good AR choice!  i have one of those too!  on my 18th, (in november) i am getting a CAR-15. hehehehe i cant wait!
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 10:14:02 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I've got 1000 rnds of wolf(I hope it runs alright), and 500 rnds of LC XM193 to break it in with.  I will give you guys a range report later today.
View Quote

Just a suggestion.  Save the Wolf for your first AK and get some more quality stuff for the AR.

USPC40

[img]www.ar15.com/members/albums/USPC40/line.gif[/img]
[url=www.nra.org][b][red]NRA[/red][/url] [url=www.nra.org][blue]Life Member[/blue][/url]
[url=www.gunowners.org][b][red]GOA[/red] [/url] [url=www.gunowners.org][blue]Life Member[/blue][/url]
[url=www.saf.org][red]SAF[/red][/url] [url=www.saf.org][blue]Supporter[/blue][/url]
[url=sas-aim.org][red]SAS[/red][/url] [url=sas-aim.org][blue]Supporter[/blue][/b][/url]

[img]www.ar15.com/members/albums/USPC40/alabamaflag.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 10:18:20 AM EDT
[#18]
I hope you dont plan on puttting that USA mag in it and try shooting, it wont mater what ammo you have it it,if you have a FTF every 2 rounds
You have any USGI mags?
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 11:37:39 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I hope you dont plan on puttting that USA mag in it and try shooting, it wont mater what ammo you have it it,if you have a FTF every 2 rounds
You have any USGI mags?
View Quote

Yeah a USA mag came with it. I might try using it some other time, but I have 5 USGI mags that I plan on using in a couple hours.
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 11:45:14 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Yeah a USA mag came with it. I might try using it some other time, but I have 5 USGI mags that I plan on using in a couple hours.
View Quote

they just got home.

[s]couple hours[/s] 20 minutes. [:D]
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 11:46:28 AM EDT
[#21]
Happy B'day [<]:)]

Congrat's on the new toy!
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 12:12:35 PM EDT
[#22]
Congrats and Happy Birthday ARndog!  Isn't the wait for the first trip to the range just about the worst?  Did you wear the checkering off the grips messing with it yet?  You got an early start compared to me.  My coolest rifle when I was 18 was a 10/22.  I finally got my first AR last weekend.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=136874&page=1

I only got to put 50 rounds through it.  I'm going to shoot it again on Saturday and I can't wait.
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 1:02:34 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 4:25:59 PM EDT
[#24]
It was very windy, so I didn't even try to group it today. I ran 30 rounds of LC with no problems, and then I ran 50 rounds of wolf with 2 failure to feeds.  Tomorrow I plan on running a couple hundred rounds through it, so I'll let you know how it works out.
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 4:30:32 PM EDT
[#25]
Hey I just noticed,how come it has a A1 style forward assist?
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 4:35:10 PM EDT
[#26]
Congrats and good choice I bought a Mini 14 at 18 years old and just built my first AR at 32 guess what the mini is now for sale so I can build another AR and to think I have a rule not to sell a gun once I own it
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 4:46:41 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Hey I just noticed,how come it has a A1 style forward assist?
View Quote

It doesn't. You're seeing a portion of the buffer tube plate.

Happy B-Day ARndog.

[bday]

I love the classic 20in style.
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 7:59:10 PM EDT
[#28]
[img]http://www.ar15.com/forums/images/smiles/anim_beer.gif[/img]
I know how it feels.  I got my first AR-15 (14.5 inch AK-brake Bushmaster) in the middle of May.  It was the first gun I had ever owned, and the first time I had ever fired a gun was just a few weeks before (a .22 and a 12-gauge shotgun).  Not only that, but I was (and am) 20 when the bug bit.  Sad, eh?  :-)  I wasted two years of my life!!!  

I knew so extremly little about guns and gun laws that I didn't know that guns like that were legal.  I thought that the only legal guns were things like pistols, bolt-action rifles, etc.  But I didn't bother to learn about them.  When I found out that I could get an AR-15, I went ballistic and bought one ASAP, and began learning everything I could about them.

And thank goodness for this website.  No exaggeration, I've learned 90% of what I know about guns from this site.
Link Posted: 8/2/2002 4:50:42 PM EDT
[#29]
I ran 180 rounds of LC and 60 rounds of wolf today with no problems.  I've got a question though, should you be able to see light between the upper and lower?
Link Posted: 8/2/2002 4:58:44 PM EDT
[#30]
So since December you've really just been [s]AR[/s]ndog. [:D]
Link Posted: 8/2/2002 4:59:16 PM EDT
[#31]
Congrats, I really am happy for you and your rifle.

But it brings up an interesting question...exactly how many here don't even own a gun??

How many are still teenagers??

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 8/2/2002 5:19:44 PM EDT
[#32]
I bought my first gun last October, a remington 710(it's a POS though[:(]). My dad had to get it for me though...he just didn't want to get me an AR...so I had to wait.

Oh and the Arndog thing...It has been my nickname for several years now...has nothing to to with AR's or dogs...weird huh? [%|]
Link Posted: 8/2/2002 5:56:12 PM EDT
[#33]
Hey Greenhorn I'm almost exactly like you =). My first (and so far only) firearm purchase was a Bushy M4gery this May... (BTW I am 21)... Before that from time to time I had shot .22 rifles and handguns for some marksmanship courses. Early this year I went shooting with my brother's friend who is a local LE officer - he let me put a magazine through his Dissipator and I was immediately hooked (something about the sound of the buffer spring, I think =). So I came here, checked up on the laws, and was delighted to learn that private citizens can still buy new ARs (well, for now. And only if they lack super-deadly features like bayonet lugs and telescoping stocks). Figured I might as well get myself one before I lose the chance entirely =).

The only problem now is that when I get asked to come to California (I am a tech industry person), I have to explain that I'd be a felon there =).

Anyway, now I'm thinking about an AK and an earlier US service rifle like an M1 or an M14 variant...
Link Posted: 8/2/2002 6:18:03 PM EDT
[#34]

A little advice.

AR15’s love gun oil and especially so during the first 500-1000rds. You only need to clean them every 1000-2000rds but they will need lots of oiling in between to keep them running problem free.

THISISME  
Link Posted: 8/2/2002 6:46:48 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Oh and the Arndog thing...It has been my nickname for several years now...has nothing to to with AR's or dogs...weird huh? [%|]
View Quote

Yup. So you don't have the dog? Well, you got half of the equation now at least. *LOL*
Link Posted: 8/2/2002 7:08:05 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I've got a question though, should you be able to see light between the upper and lower?
View Quote
Don't sweat it. the fit between upper and lower receiver has nothing to do with either accuracy, or function (unless it's a HUGE gap)
Link Posted: 8/2/2002 7:15:46 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

A little advice.

AR15’s love gun oil and especially so during the first 500-1000rds. You only need to clean them every 1000-2000rds but they will need lots of oiling in between to keep them running problem free.

THISISME  
View Quote

I clean my guns after EVERY shooting session.
AB
Link Posted: 8/2/2002 7:46:34 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I ran 180 rounds of LC and 60 rounds of wolf today with no problems.  I've got a question though, should you be able to see light between the upper and lower?
View Quote

As long as it's not loose, and only has a small crack between upper and lower, it will be absolutely fine.  The lower only sets off the cartrige and keeps the bolt from flying out.  So if it rattles a little and has a small crack but isn't about to fall off, it's fine.  Mine has a bit of a rattle between the upper and lower and has a little crack where light comes through, and I'd bet that most if not all of ARs do.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top