Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/4/2005 2:04:39 PM EDT
well sort of.  lotsa little things to tweak still.  

this "build"  consisted of the following.

4inch RE standard YJ lift.
JKS front sway bar disco's
cool lookin extended brake lines from quadratec
extended upper rear shock mounts from MORE
8.8 ford rear-end install
swapped in new D30 in front with 4.10's and a locrite
SYE conversion and tom woods driveshaft- yes, my shaft is a woody
posi-lock setup for the front
new brute force u-joints in front driveshaft

setup is now 4inches of suspension lift, 1.25inch shackles, 2 inch body lift and TJ flares.  its now sitting on 35inch BFG's.  

some pictures, and then a rundown of whats left.

like my $160 hardtop?

my lovely rear!  sporting my free TJ bumper.

shot of the drivers side front.  I'm not happy at all with the way the front soft lines are, so I'm gonna relocate the bracket to the underside of the framerail.

a shot of the tomwoods shaft bolted to the 8.8 pinion

the new upper rear shock mounts--these were fun fun fun to install.

advance adapters SYE and tomwoods shaft

at this point I still have to get my e-brakes working again.  the shoes were shot in the 8.8 so I've gotta get some new ones. I already have a good idea how to make the existing jeep cables work.

gotta relocate those front soft brake lines to underneath the framerail.

and last, but definitely not least, I gotta cut off the rear LOWER shock mounts and redo them.  I marked and tacked them in the wrong position.  my shocks only have like a little more than 3 inches of compression. you can really tell in the next to last photo.   I screwed up my measurement, *(thankfully pretty much the only semi-major screwup in the whole process)*   not too bad to fix though.

still to come is my telescoping front trackbar and a new speedo gear.  probably a bellyup skidplate will be on the menu soon.   along with new front and rear bumpers and a winch.  

like they say, JUST EMPTY EVERY POCKET.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 2:05:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 3:23:34 PM EDT
[#2]
sweet rig mang!
yes relocate that drivers side line.  I cought mine before it wore a hole all the way through but that tire will wear the brake line out!

One question:  Why the tele track bar?  Have you tried running without it?  I've found that I don't even notice it gone.  I too have sway bar disconnects and it's plenty.   You took the rear track bar out, yes?

ETA:  need to cut down your Ubolts as well.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 4:01:58 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
sweet rig mang!
yes relocate that drivers side line.  I cought mine before it wore a hole all the way through but that tire will wear the brake line out!

One question:  Why the tele track bar?  Have you tried running without it?  I've found that I don't even notice it gone.  I too have sway bar disconnects and it's plenty.   You took the rear track bar out, yes?

ETA:  need to cut down your Ubolts as well.

both the drivers side and the pass side soft brake lines in the front are gonna be relocated.   rear track bar is gone.   I've heard both ways about the front track bar, some say take it out, some say leave it.  the telescoping one gives me the best of both worlds.    probably gonna look at a upgrade for the steering link and the tie rod from rusty's too.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 4:15:45 PM EDT
[#4]
makes sense.  
I'm going to have to get a new drag link I think.  Can't get the bastard to turn to adjust my steering wheel.  It's sitting about 90degrees to the right.

As far as relocating the brake lines I just loosely zip tied mine to the shock.  Seems to have resolved the issue and I just keep an eye on it.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 5:23:49 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
makes sense.  
I'm going to have to get a new drag link I think.  Can't get the bastard to turn to adjust my steering wheel.  It's sitting about 90degrees to the right.

As far as relocating the brake lines I just loosely zip tied mine to the shock.  Seems to have resolved the issue and I just keep an eye on it.

My drag link is stuck too.   I'm relocating the brake lines to underneath the frame rail to get more length for droop.

and yeah, I gotta take a grinder to those u bolts.

Link Posted: 8/4/2005 5:26:57 PM EDT
[#6]
BTW, what's this about your "finished" Jeep?  You know there ain't no such thing!
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 5:30:29 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
BTW, what's this about your "finished" Jeep?  You know there ain't no such thing!

yeah, thats why I said "sorta"

sounds like you are definitely droppin some dough into your drivetrain.

the 8.8 was the cheapest route for me to go, no way was I gonna run 35's on that stock D35.  buddy of mine is risking it though.  then again, he's gonna run 35's with his stock 3.73gears, open diffs and stock axles.    course he did spend $2300+ just on his lift.  

here it is flexed on his stock wheels tires, since he hasn't gotten his wheels yet.

Link Posted: 8/4/2005 5:33:02 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

the 8.8 was the cheapest route for me to go, no way was I gonna run 35's on that stock D35.  buddy of mine is risking it though.  then again, he's gonna run 35's with his stock 3.73gears, open diffs and stock axles.    course he did spend $2300+ just on his lift.  

here it is flexed on his stock wheels tires, since he hasn't gotten his wheels yet.

amarino01.homestead.com/jamestjflexnew1.jpg

Looks good, but make sure he takes some spare axles with him if he wheels on 35's on a D35!  Ain't a matter of "IF" but "WHEN" it breaks!
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 5:35:58 PM EDT
[#9]
for what I have in mine I'm not gonna complain.  just right at $4k right now.  

here's a rundown.

89 YJ
pulse air system removed
motorcraft  2100 carb
TFI ignition upgrade
new radiator
new water pump
new cat/muffler
2inch body lift
4inch RE suspension lift
1.25inch Warrior heavy duty shackles
tom woods driveshaft
advanced adaptors SYE
junkyard salvage 8.8  4.10 gears, limited slip
swapped in D30 up front with 4.10  gears and a lockrite
posi-lock 4wd engagement
herculined tub.  
$160 for the hardtop
new windshield frame
free rear bumper from a TJ
TJ flares
4 new wheels
4 35inch BFG's

I know I'm forgetting some stuff

Link Posted: 8/4/2005 5:37:20 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

amarino01.homestead.com/jamestjflexnew1.jpg

Looks good, but make sure he takes some spare axles with him if he wheels on 35's on a D35!  Ain't a matter of "IF" but "WHEN" it breaks!

thats what I told him, but he insists it'll hold.  BWAHAHAA.   he's talkin about turning it into a super 35.  I told him for less money we could swap in the 8.8 no problem.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 5:42:57 PM EDT
[#11]
What's the GC on it? Is it comparable to a Humvee? I'm just curious if what you built could compare to one.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 6:47:43 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
What's the GC on it? Is it comparable to a Humvee? I'm just curious if what you built could compare to one.

center of front diff to ground is 12inches
center of rear diff to ground is a little under 11inches
skid pan to ground is 20inches.---this will be improved by about 2.5inches with the bellyup.

and for what a H1 costs, I could build one SERIOUS jeep.  and still have money left over for a years worth of fuel,  LOL
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 1:38:02 PM EDT
[#13]
I saw the thread title and said to myself LAIR! lol there is no such thing as a finished jeep!
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 4:51:48 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I saw the thread title and said to myself LAIR! lol there is no such thing as a finished jeep!

ok, ok, so its a misleading thread title.  

ordered my new tie rod and steering link from Rusty's today.  

fixed my e-brake setup this evening, just gotta swap in the new shoes and adjust the cable a little.

I'm already saving pennies for my new bumpers, rocker guards, and a winch.  LOL
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 5:01:05 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

fixed my e-brake setup this evening, just gotta swap in the new shoes and adjust the cable a little.

what did the link cost?  Got a URL for it?  I really need to replace mine.  

Too bad you aren't closer.  I have a Warn 8274 with roller lead and mounting plate for a YJ that I'm going to sell for $450!
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 5:29:26 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

what did the link cost?  Got a URL for it?  I really need to replace mine.  

Too bad you aren't closer.  I have a Warn 8274 with roller lead and mounting plate for a YJ that I'm going to sell for $450!

here's a link to the kit I ordered.  rusty's tie rod and steering link kit

if you are just looking for a steering link call em up, they'll probably give you a price on just it.

couldn't cost that much to ship a 8274. LOL

Link Posted: 8/5/2005 5:37:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Thanks mang.  

This thing is a solid 80 or 90 lbs!  It's got 150 feet of cable on it!  Hell I think that's about 40 or 50 lbs right there.  I kinda hate to sell it.  It's the fastest winch I've ever seen but I need a lower profile for my app.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 5:43:44 PM EDT
[#18]
Nice Jeep!

Good job on keeping the correct backspacing!

Get your E-Brake working ASAP!  I'm too lazy to type it all out but I had a Jeep Comanche that decided to go for a stroll down the block without me.  No property or truck damage but it could have been a nightmare.

You did great...keep on wrenching!
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 12:54:32 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Nice Jeep!

Good job on keeping the correct backspacing!

Get your E-Brake working ASAP!  I'm too lazy to type it all out but I had a Jeep Comanche that decided to go for a stroll down the block without me.  No property or truck damage but it could have been a nightmare.

You did great...keep on wrenching!

got the emergency brakes working today.  also got my rear glass installed in my hardtop, although I'm thinkin I'm gonna pull it back off and put the hardtop in the garage until winter.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top