Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/14/2009 11:21:47 AM EDT
Hey,

Stealing this from Hot Air:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrV8QPQAhxo

I’ve written about this before, both here and at Captain’s Quarters, and I don’t mind sharing it again on the day we celebrate Old Glory. Certainly our friends in the blogosphere today will share stories of famous battles such as Iwo Jima in which the American flag features a prominent role, but this moment belongs with them as a reminder that Americans here at home understand the value of the Stars and Stripes. Rick Monday adds his perspective thirty years later to what Major League Baseball included as one of its top 100 plays in its history.

I wrote this a year ago: In 1976, a sense of ennui had gripped the nation. In a year-long bicentennial celebration, many wondered if the economic stagnation that had lasted all decade meant that America’s best years were in the rear-view mirror. The commercialized bicentennial festivities felt forced and false. It seemed that pride in our country had dissipated into cynicism and retreat.

The unprompted, extemporaneous response to Monday’s heroics is the often untold story of that day. Over 40,000 baseball fans saw Monday risk his career by grabbing what could easily have been a fireball to rescue the American flag from a couple of asshats, and suddenly it recalled the real patriotism and passion for America that had been missing in 1976. At first in isolated pockets but soon sweeping around the stands like The Wave would later do, Americans stood up and sang “God Bless America” — not prompted by the stadium organist but fueled by love of country.
For my money, it’s the single best moment in sports. God bless Rick Monday, and God bless America.

/end

I love the "WTF just happened" look on those dirty hippy's faces when Monday yoinks the flag away.

Kevin "Should have gotten their asses beat."
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 11:27:36 AM EDT
[#1]
I think they were Muslims, if I remember correctly.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 11:28:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

NFW!
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 11:28:52 AM EDT
[#3]
wow.

you can totally see the trying to put the match to the flag, and as monday rips the flag from them, the guy with the box of matches throws em at him!
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 11:34:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Nowadays the people in the stands might cheer on the flag burners.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 11:34:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Never saw that or even knew about it..

Gave me goose bumps..
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 11:39:20 AM EDT
[#6]
There was an incident years ago (late 60's, early 70's  maybe)when some dude tried to burn the flag or do something else with it at an NFL game.  A big ass player drilled him and took the flag
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 11:40:02 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

nope

William Thomas, 36, and his 11-year-old son
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 11:43:25 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 11:52:37 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Unpossible
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 12:05:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Wow!
I was a senior in high school at that time and never heard about it.
Of course, I didn't spend a lot of time following news back then.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 12:10:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
There was an incident years ago (late 60's, early 70's  maybe)when some dude tried to burn the flag or do something else with it at an NFL game.  A big ass player drilled him and took the flag

And then they sued him, if I recall.

"Violated" their free speech rights.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 12:14:04 PM EDT
[#12]
sort of similar

anyone ever here of Hell's Angels fucking up hippies for protesting Vietnam Vets or something similar?
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 12:15:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

They must have lost the lawsuit right?

Anyway I thought once a fan entered the field of play they were fair game for a beat down
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 12:22:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They must have lost the lawsuit right?

Anyway I thought once a fan entered the field of play they were fair game for a beat down

I really have no idea, my dad mentioned it when I asked him about Rick Monday.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 12:42:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Rick... FTW!!!
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 12:46:58 PM EDT
[#16]
wow never knew about that. thanks for the post!

A+ for rick!
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 12:50:10 PM EDT
[#17]
Cool video. Thanks for sharing. Some spikes to the back of their heads would have been a nice touch.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 12:58:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Now days they would be sniped from the cheap seats.......and rightly so.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 1:25:49 PM EDT
[#19]
I had never seen that before, thanks for sharing.  Great video!
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 1:31:53 PM EDT
[#20]
That rocks.....good Steve Garvey comments too.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 1:57:31 PM EDT
[#21]
i Would have tackled them
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 2:14:15 PM EDT
[#22]
I've searched to no avail.. does anyone know where large poster sized prints of this picture can be found?

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 2:17:58 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 2:21:20 PM EDT
[#24]
I grew up in northern Indiana and was a big cubs fan.  Rick was one of my favorite players.  After seeing that now he IS my favorite player.  Just wondering how many newer players would have the guts to do what he did
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 2:22:18 PM EDT
[#25]
I never saw that before. Thanks!
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 2:30:08 PM EDT
[#26]
According to wikipedia, Monday later said, "If you're going to burn the flag, don't do it around me. I've been to
too many veterans' hospitals and seen too many broken bodies of guys
who tried to protect it."

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 3:25:38 PM EDT
[#27]
While i love this video, i think people dont realise that it is perfectly legal to burn a flag to end it useful life. i've been to a few ceremonies where it was done. Yes, they played taps and had veterans there. (eagle scout ceremony) but it was essentially they put the flag (s)  on a grill and put lighter fluid on and burn it.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 3:26:48 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

While i love this video, i think people dont realise that it is perfectly legal to burn a flag to end it useful life. i've been to a few ceremonies where it was done. Yes, they played taps and had veterans there. (eagle scout ceremony) but it was essentially they put the flag (s)  on a grill and put lighter fluid on and burn it.

That is different than buring a perfectly good USA flag to make some political statement.

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 3:35:12 PM EDT
[#29]
great video
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 3:43:32 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

I think everybody here realizes this.  The difference is that one is a ceremony of retirement demonstrating the utmost respect for the flag and what it symbolizes.  The other is done with utter contempt and disrespect by those who despise the nation.

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 3:44:23 PM EDT
[#31]
Thanks for posting this, God Bless America!
According to wiki: Monday is still in possession of the flag he saved from being burned.
He was offered a million dollars for it recently but turned it down.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 4:55:28 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
According to wiki: Monday is still in possession of the flag he saved from being burned.He was offered a million dollars for it recently but turned it down.

Yup.  'Bout 2/3 of the way down, in the "trivia" section:

Wiki Linkie
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 5:00:10 PM EDT
[#33]
That is the proper way to dispose of the Flag after it has touched the ground.

Big ups to the dude though. Nice snag! I bet the hippies got punched for that shit.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 5:06:41 PM EDT
[#34]
I never even knew about that (it was before my time), thanks for posting.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 5:12:06 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

That is the proper way to dispose of the Flag after it has touched the ground.

Not true.  It's a myth that you have to burn a flag that has touched the ground.  You should only burn them when they become unserviceable.

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 6:32:32 PM EDT
[#36]
Another notable episode of hippie pwnage: Hard Hat Riot.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top