Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/27/2015 1:02:57 PM EDT
ARF seems to have a tortured relationship with Toyota Tacomas.  Everyone time Tacomas come up, so the does rusted frame issue along with internet pics of Tacomas on lifts that are broken in half.  I'll share my experience with my rusted frame Tacoma.

"I" purchased my Tacoma brand new in 2000 when I graduated college (Thanks Dad, RIP).  I loved that truck, drove it for 10 years, put 150,000 on it on it, and never had a moments trouble with it.  Then one day while washing it, I noticed that the frame was starting to rust pretty bad.  Specifically, one of the mounts holding the shock absorber looked like it was ready to fall off.  I had been getting notices from Toyota that they wanted to inspect the frame for rust, so I took it the dealer and let them check it out.  It failed their rust inspection.  This was in 2010.  This is a pic of the truck the day before I turned it back in to Toyota.  Hardly looks like a rust bucket:  

</a>" />

A few weeks later, they contacted me and offered to pay me nearly $12,000 for the truck.  I accepted, as this was 150% of blue book value at the time.  I immediately rolled that money into a brand new 2010 Tacoma.  I've had this truck for 5 years (and counting!) and it has been trouble free.  

</a>" />

So, while it does suck that the frame on my first truck rusted, Toyota really took care of me.  I purchased a new Tacoma without hesitation.  Just wanted to share my experience with ARF since the rust thing is a recurring theme when Tacomas are discussed.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 1:06:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Bro, you seriously fucked up bigtime.

I'd have given you $40,000 for the rusted 2000 Tacoma.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 1:07:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Did you do anything to treat the frame on the new one? Have you seen how thick the frame is? My uncle has a 07 which is the same gen as your newer one. A piece of cardboard is thicker than his frame. Really suprised me. That said, the drivetrain is bomb proof.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 1:09:35 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a 1999 Tacoma.  During the last 15 years I've had to replace; brake pads, a couple batteries, and a starter.  I'll never buy another POS Toyota again.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 1:14:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have a 1999 Tacoma.  During the last 15 years I've had to replace; brake pads, a couple batteries, and a starter.  I'll never buy another POS Toyota again.
View Quote

Wait...  The only non-wear item is the starter.  You are complaining that in 15 years you had a starter fail?
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 1:17:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Wait...  The only non-wear item is the starter.  You are complaining that in 15 years you had a starter fail?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You should recalibrate
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 1:17:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sarcasm meter and all of that.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 2:14:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

LOL, tough break, bro!

I should mention that the top pic of the black Tacoma is after it failed the rust inspection.  That pic was taken the day before I turned it in to Toyota.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 2:17:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 2:18:45 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

That thing is held on by four bolts.  Four!  I had to remove all of them to get the bad starter off then had to put them back in with the new starter.  It was probably the worst day of my life.  Thanks for bringing up such painful memories.  Jerk.

Link Posted: 4/27/2015 2:20:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
You should have told them to fix the frame, you could have sold it for 19K.
View Quote

19k is for a 2wd....does OP have 4x4? That could easily sell for $25k
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 2:22:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Both trucks are 4x4 (what the eff good is a 2x4?) but this was in 2010.  I purchased the new truck for just over $30K out the door, I don't think anyone would pay me $25K for a 10 year old truck with 150K on it whose blue book value is $8,500 when a new one can be purchased for $30K.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 2:23:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't get the appeal of these trucks and why the fuck their resale value is so damn high.

Used 2010 Tacoma 4x4 w/100k - $25k.
Brand new Tacoma 4x4 - $28k

Link Posted: 4/27/2015 2:24:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

ETA: I am well aware of the frame rot issues, and Toyota replacing a lot of frames, I wasn't aware that they were also buying back trucks. That might go a long way towards explaining the sky high resale value on those trucks these days. They have always held value well, but with Toyota taking a significant number of them off the road via a quiet buyback program that would certainly impact the value of what is already one of the most high demand used vehicles on the market.
View Quote

^True
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 2:26:00 PM EDT
[#14]
This seems to be how Toyota handles it, good on them for taking care of their customers.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 2:26:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I don't get the appeal of these trucks and why the fuck their resale value is so damn high.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I take it you missed the legendary Tacoma thread?
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 2:26:35 PM EDT
[#16]
2wd is fine..I don't do hardcore offroading but I do get in the mud occasionally. Does fine, just don't stop once you get going and the mud better not be deep!
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 2:26:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 2:27:13 PM EDT
[#18]
One of the local insurance estimators drives this little gem, 1994 I think. He was complaining a while back about having to replace a u-joint. A, singular.

Link Posted: 4/27/2015 2:28:11 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

link?
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 2:28:19 PM EDT
[#20]
That's nice sweety.

Still a shitty truck.

Here's the frame of my 05 Tacoma I had - I took this after having the truck about 5 years.

This was about the same time the driveshaft and front hubs were replaced as the driveshaft was rusted through and the front hubs were severely damaged by rust.

Link Posted: 4/27/2015 2:32:11 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

ETA: my sarcasm meter was broken
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 2:34:20 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've had to replace 2 alternators in 375k. POS.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 2:34:42 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

I don't think people here are bright enough to get what you are saying.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 2:38:26 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
That's nice sweety.

Still a shitty truck.

Here's the frame of my 05 Tacoma I had - I took this after having the truck about 5 years.

This was about the same time the driveshaft and front hubs were replaced as the driveshaft was rusted through and the front hubs were severely damaged by rust.

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l279/EuroMpower/TruckFrame.jpg
View Quote

I have a 2006 and I have been receiving letters that they would like to inspect it for rust.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 2:52:26 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
That thing is held on by four bolts.  Four!  I had to remove all of them to get the bad starter off then had to put them back in with the new starter.  It was probably the worst day of my life.  Thanks for bringing up such painful memories.  Jerk.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

We done been trolled!
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 2:55:05 PM EDT
[#26]
Rust?  We get no rust here.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 3:05:17 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

So, while it does suck that the frame on my first truck rusted, Toyota really took care of me.  I purchased a new Tacoma without hesitation.  Just wanted to share my experience with ARF since the rust thing is a recurring theme when Tacomas are discussed.
View Quote

that worked out fine for you, but what about all the people that had to sell their rusted heaps for scrap at a huge loss long before toyota agreed to pay to replace the frames or buy back the trucks?
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 3:11:59 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What a shame.  They just don't make em like they use to.  

My next vehicle will be American.  I hear they do real quality work down in Mexico.

Link Posted: 4/27/2015 3:18:37 PM EDT
[#29]
I don't even worry about it. My truck has spent its life entirely in the southwest, rust isn't an issue. Dried out plastic and tires are
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 3:21:07 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

Agreed.  My 2003 has 205,000 miles on it.  I had to replace an 02 sensor and an axle bearing.  I doubt I'll ever have another vehicle that will treat me as well as this truck has.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 3:25:24 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

My next vehicle will be American.  I hear they do real quality work down in Mexico.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That 94 with 600k is crazy.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 3:40:16 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

Mine's a '98. For the past 4 years, I had to change the oil 12 times and replace the belts. Frigg'n P.O.S.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 4:02:32 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Mine's a '98. For the past 4 years, I had to change the oil 12 times and replace the belts. Frigg'n P.O.S.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Shit, I forgot that I changed the belts on mine a few years ago too, also did the plugs and wires at the same time.  Damn truck has been a money pit.

Link Posted: 4/27/2015 4:29:43 PM EDT
[#34]
Here's my experience:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1549344__ARCHIVED_THREAD____kicking_myself__toyota_tacoma_frame_rust_extended_warranty.html&page=1

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 4:41:32 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Here's my experience:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1549344__ARCHIVED_THREAD____kicking_myself__toyota_tacoma_frame_rust_extended_warranty.html&page=1

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote

and a year and half later what has happened?
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 5:01:13 PM EDT
[#36]
"Sorry about your rusty POS truck. We'll be happy to replace it with a not-yet-rusty POS truck."
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 5:04:19 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
"Sorry about your rusty POS truck. We'll be happy to replace it with a not-yet-rusty POS truck."
View Quote

LOL.  Nothing would make me happier than for my new truck to start rusting after 10 years and have them pay me 150% of blue book again.

A work friend wanted my advice on buying his son an older 2x4 4 cylinder Tacoma.  I told him "if the frame isn't rusted, buy it for your son.  If the frame is rusted, buy if for yourself and make 50% on your money in a few weeks."
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 11:03:27 PM EDT
[#38]
I want to relate my experience with a 5 dollar prostitute in Haiti.

Yes, she gave me AIDS and the clap, but modern medicine and a good health insurance plan went a long way towards easing my pain and suffering.

All in all, it's been a positive experience - One that I would recommend to anyone.

Just wanted to share my experience with ARF, since the disease thing is a recurring theme whenever the subject of fucking 5 dollar Haitian whores comes up.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 11:09:12 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

Mostly because of arfcom. Mostly.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 11:47:18 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

You should recalibrate
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You should recalibrate

Screw that.  I want you to be wrong so I can mock you.  

Lol, some Toyotas are a little different.  I replaced the starter and alternator in my 94 Land Cruiser and that was a complete pain in the dick.  For a rig that size with just a straight 6, there sure isn't much room in the engine bay.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 8:19:20 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I want to relate my experience with a 5 dollar prostitute in Haiti.

Yes, she gave me AIDS and the clap, but modern medicine and a good health insurance plan went a long way towards easing my pain and suffering.

All in all, it's been a positive experience - One that I would recommend to anyone.

Just wanted to share my experience with ARF, since the disease thing is a recurring theme whenever the subject of fucking 5 dollar Haitian whores comes up.
View Quote

Faulty anaolgy.  This is more like marrying the sweet and beautiful girl next door who died young but has good life insurance, then marrying her beautiful younger sister.  
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 8:23:28 PM EDT
[#42]
My POS 08 Tundras factory battery tested on the lower end of acceptable last month, and I had to replace it
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 8:28:47 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 9:53:41 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Timing belt?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Timing belt?

Not if 4 cylinder. They have a chain.

Got 253,000 out of my 96 Tacoma. Still looked and ran pretty good when I sold it.

Link Posted: 4/28/2015 10:11:28 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
ARF seems to have a tortured relationship with Toyota Tacomas.  Everyone time Tacomas come up, so the does rusted frame issue along with internet pics of Tacomas on lifts that are broken in half.  I'll share my experience with my rusted frame Tacoma.

"I" purchased my Tacoma brand new in 2000 when I graduated college (Thanks Dad, RIP).  I loved that truck, drove it for 10 years, put 150,000 on it on it, and never had a moments trouble with it.  Then one day while washing it, I noticed that the frame was starting to rust pretty bad.  Specifically, one of the mounts holding the shock absorber looked like it was ready to fall off.  I had been getting notices from Toyota that they wanted to inspect the frame for rust, so I took it the dealer and let them check it out.  It failed their rust inspection.  This was in 2010.  This is a pic of the truck the day before I turned it back in to Toyota.  Hardly looks like a rust bucket:  

http://<a href=http://i1286.photobucket.com/albums/a608/alphabrew/Mobile%20Uploads/B7E55998-F940-45BB-95A0-BEB9DC825C8D_zps4auyp8qn.jpg</a>" />

A few weeks later, they contacted me and offered to pay me nearly $12,000 for the truck.  I accepted, as this was 150% of blue book value at the time.  I immediately rolled that money into a brand new 2010 Tacoma.  I've had this truck for 5 years (and counting!) and it has been trouble free.  

http://<a href=http://i1286.photobucket.com/albums/a608/alphabrew/Mobile%20Uploads/AC864380-66BE-4886-9B35-BD1F0D0EFF21_zpsd9uczbar.jpg</a>" />

View Quote

Your truck and story are familiar. Did you wheel with ttora? If so, I think I met you on the Rte 234 trails many years ago.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 7:55:58 AM EDT
[#46]

Your truck and story are familiar. Did you wheel with ttora? If so, I think I met you on the Rte 234 trails many years ago.
View Quote

Sorry, wasn't me.  I've never taken mine off road.
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 9:32:40 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

I've never taken mine off road.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/4/2015 9:42:04 AM EDT
[#48]
It's nice that Toyota takes care of the Tacoma owners. It's odd that they basically give the 07-09 FJ Cruiser owners the finger when it comes to the inner fender tub ripping issues.
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 9:52:21 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

OP has failed us
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top