Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/19/2005 4:51:22 AM EDT
shipment was shipped 2nd Day Air Last wednesday...

wont be here til tomorrow..

Link Posted: 9/19/2005 4:57:02 AM EDT
[#1]
And they wonder why so many people have written them off as a shipper.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 5:01:28 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

I agree, I did not choose this carrier for this particular shipment, I have called back to customer service 3 times this morning asking them what they can do to rectify this and all they say is they can give a credit to my sender.
Does it make it worse that it is a shipment of AR parts? And that I had saturday all set away to install them, didn't arrive then, and then I had today set away to install them and they are still not there
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 5:03:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Sounds like the same service that I got from Sears this weekend.

Later,

Badredfish
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 5:08:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 5:10:44 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
DHL is terrible but people continue to use them because they are cheap. I wouldn't recommend anyone to use their service and would request a different method of shipping from the seller in the future or I'd buy from someone else.

Yes, they are that bad.....

I've 'heard' they are good for international letters, and thats about it, anything over a pound and the IQ drops..
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 5:46:37 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 5:54:57 AM EDT
[#7]
They are great for shipments coming here.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 5:55:41 AM EDT
[#8]
Years ago, I used DHL exclusively for overseas shipping, because they had excellent local delivery contracts in Egypt, Phillippines, various Central American shitholes and other garden spots. Anymore, though, FedEx is generally quicker, cheaper and has much better tracking. I don't do much business overseas anymore, but if I did, I'd use FedEx.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 6:00:03 AM EDT
[#9]
That was also the stink of it, I asked them where my package was and all they could say was that it was in transit. Their tracking system couldn't even say 'where' it was in transit.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 6:04:00 AM EDT
[#10]
When I was working for a shipping software company back in the 90's, many of our customers use DHL only for international letters and non-dutiable goods. For dutiable goods, they often only used FedEx. No one used DHL for domestic parcels. The tightwads used Airborne (part of DHL now). UPS and the post office were #1 for domestic.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 6:20:02 AM EDT
[#11]
DHL = Dewy, Hewy & Lewy.

Link Posted: 9/19/2005 6:39:17 AM EDT
[#12]
FWIW DHL is owned and operated by the German post office. They do real well overseas because they have an inside international track over FedEx and UPS.

They are cheap, but they really suck here in the states. Their overnight service is almost non-existant and they hire the lowest common denominator for drivers. I have seen several customers go to DHL and switch back after only a few weeks.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 6:48:00 AM EDT
[#13]
Worst experience with a shipper, ever. I saw their new commercial last night touting their great customer service and began laughing out loud, really DHL, great customer service
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 5:59:24 AM EDT
[#14]
the package yesterday was delayed and supposed to be delivered today.

AND as of NOW, DHL doesn't know where it is...$1500 package..

too furious...
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 6:08:44 AM EDT
[#15]
DHL the official shipper of ANUS Laptops!
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 10:22:07 AM EDT
[#16]
Inside story, let me explain what is happening...

DHL merged with Airborne Express about a year and a half ago. Last weekend, DHL did the big consolidation of it'd CVG hub in Kentucky to the old Airborne ILN hub in Wilmington, Ohio. As they (ahem) we did this, they decided it would also be a good idea to change half the routing codes for domestic shipments. Big Fucking Mistake. Packages are being rerouted by hand at the main hub.

Let me suffice to say that right now is not a good time to ship DHL. No idea when this clusterfuck will get straightened out, but when the system is working, it works. We deliver ground shipments from California to bumfuck Illinois next day, usually before 10:30. The missort rate is typically around .5%, but as I said, right now everything is FUBAR and will take at least a week or 2 to get straightened out.

BTW, my crew are contractors. so aim your vitriol here www.dhl.com
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 10:22:51 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
DHL = Dewy, Hewy & Lewy.

www.classickidstv.co.uk/ducktales/dt2.jpg

Wrong. DHL= Damn He's Late.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 10:26:29 AM EDT
[#18]
I've had nothing but good experiences with DHL shipping from Argentina to the US and viceversa. (knocking on wood)
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 10:28:44 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

DHL merged with Airborne Express about a year and a half ago. Last weekend, DHL did the big consolidation of it'd CVG hub in Kentucky to the old Airborne ILN hub in Wilmington, Ohio. As they (ahem) we did this, they decided it would also be a good idea to change half the routing codes for domestic shipments. Big Fucking Mistake. Packages are being rerouted by hand at the main hub.

Let me suffice to say that right now is not a good time to ship DHL. No idea when this clusterfuck will get straightened out, but when the system is working, it works. We deliver ground shipments from California to bumfuck Illinois next day, usually before 10:30. The missort rate is typically around .5%, but as I said, right now everything is FUBAR and will take at least a week or 2 to get straightened out.

Hey bud, I appreciate the honest info. I just got off the hone with DHl, by far the nicest girl I have talked to somewhat echoed what you had to say about combining sorting facilities, which makes sense but still is not acceptable for a 2day air shipment.

She said she is pretty confident that its at the wilmington sort hub, but with all the freight coming and and other flights things are that backed up that things that should have been delivered the 9th are NOW just being delivered.

Sounds like someone in the higher ranks of DHL didn't plan the logistics very well
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 10:33:38 AM EDT
[#20]
DHL:  And you thought the USPS sucked.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 10:37:10 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hey bud, I appreciate the honest info. I just got off the hone with DHl, by far the nicest girl I have talked to somewhat echoed what you had to say about combining sorting facilities, which makes sense but still is not acceptable for a 2day air shipment.

She said she is pretty confident that its at the wilmington sort hub, but with all the freight coming and and other flights things are that backed up that things that should have been delivered the 9th are NOW just being delivered.

Sounds like someone in the higher ranks of DHL didn't plan the logistics very well

Reat assured it is at the Wilming ton hub, and that is where the holdup is. When it gets to the inbound station, it gets delivered. Someone came into our station last nite PO'ed & looking for their computer. Most recent scan indicated it was at ILN (Wilmington). Hang in there, you'll get your stuff.
But right now, air and groud shipments will be fucked up for a while. If the shippers are using the updated routing codes, stuff should go through OK. If not, well, pull up a chair, cause it could be awhile.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 10:38:55 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Reat assured it is at the Wilming ton hub, and that is where the holdup is. When it gets to the inbound station, it gets delivered. Someone came into our station last nite PO'ed & looking for their computer. Most recent scan indicated it was at ILN (Wilmington). Hang in there, you'll get your stuff.
But right now, air and groud shipments will be fucked up for a while. If the shippers are using the updated routing codes, stuff should go through OK. If not, well, pull up a chair, cause it could be awhile.

Is that in CONUS? Or just shipments coming into the midwest/tri-state area?
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 10:40:38 AM EDT
[#23]
If I were you, I would expect free shipping.  2nd day air my black ass.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 10:43:47 AM EDT
[#24]
I get stuff sent to me in NY from CA every week for work via DHL.  I am sure my Co. uses them because they are cheap.  I think an overnight by noon is like $5.00.  Believe it or not they get here before the time FedEx used to.  When I send stuff back to CA it gets their on time.  Might  be because its going from NYC Metro Area to Palo Alto.  Maybe outside of major urban areas they get suck.  If I remember correctly I think they use independent contractors in the smaller markets.  That may explain things.  Could be the guys that had too many DUIs to get a job at UPS or FedEx.  
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 10:50:31 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

UPS is teh suck
FEDEX is teh suck
USPS is teh suck

DHL is the only company we use for overnight, and some ground shipping of packages.  

UPS, our account number was stolen and charged well over $5000 in shipping charges.  UPS told us tough cookies, pay the bill.  Several attorney's calls later they finally dropped the charges.  

FedEX stole several thousand dollars in COD monies and wouldn't pay up.  We had to sue them to get them to release the money.  FedEX contended it wasn't their problem after the packages were dropped off and they picked up the check.

USPS is just too damn expensive to send anything heavy or bulky through.

DHL is on time, distribution center is next door, and we get stuff in and out in a matter of hours.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 11:26:20 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

You're not kidding!

I had a laptop sent back to me from repair last week on Monday.  Shipped overnight, got mis-sorted, and was scheduled for Wednesday.   Never came on Wednesday.  After a few calls on Thursday, they admitted it was lost.

So my 3 years old laptop was replaced with a brand new model!

So a big Thank You to DHL for sucking!
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 11:31:32 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You're not kidding!

I had a laptop sent back to me from repair last week on Monday.  Shipped overnight, got mis-sorted, and was scheduled for Wednesday.   Never came on Wednesday.  After a few calls on Thursday, they admitted it was lost.

So my 3 years old laptop was replaced with a brand new model!

So a big Thank You to DHL for sucking!

WOW. Straight up lost? Thats not making me feel warm anymore
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 11:43:14 AM EDT
[#28]
I used to work for DHL. I rather enjoyed this thread
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 11:46:30 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

I hope your just enjoying the DHL bashing and not enjoying me not knowing where my $1500+ package is...
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 11:49:56 AM EDT
[#30]
Same crap happened to me with an order of crickets for my Bearded Dragons.  They were shipped from LA on Mon 12 Sept SUPPOSED to be overnight, I get them that Fri, 16th in the afternoon!!!!!!
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 11:50:46 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I hope your just enjoying the DHL bashing and not enjoying me not knowing where my $1500+ package is...

Sorry, I meant the DHL bashing. Sorry about your package, but it will get there--just a matter of time. The only way it may not is if the sort code came off, and that doesn't happen very often.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 11:56:44 AM EDT
[#32]
Those crickets must have smelled ripe!  Especially in LA.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 11:58:54 AM EDT
[#33]

Because the last I checked, they do not allow ANY firearm shipments.

That's enough to not get any business from me, however one of the guys shipping me something sent it by this freaky DHL shipment method with is teh uuber suxx0rz - DHL slowly delivers it from the shipper to the local post office, then the post office has an extra 1 - 2 days to deliver it to my door. Freaking stupid (and I'm STILL waiting for the package!)

One thing I love about their tracking - they are never late. Or rather, they don't ever give an EAT, so how could they ever possibly be late?
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 12:02:00 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Those crickets must have smelled ripe!  Especially in LA.

Out of an order of 250 about 80+ were dead.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 12:11:06 PM EDT
[#35]
We are contract pilots for UPS and DHL.............say what you want about UPS, but they are head and shoulders above DHL.  

JAHFP (just a humble freight pilot)

vmax84
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 12:16:14 PM EDT
[#36]
I've never had a problem with Fed-Ex, but that's just me.  And b/c I use my corporate account even for my personal shipping (which I pay for, not the company), I get incredible rates (like overnight letters across the US for $6).  I'd use them even if I had to pay more money though.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 12:21:19 PM EDT
[#37]
DHL= Delivery Hours Late!!! Worked on the ramp at CVG for 2 years. Most dreaded sound,the yell,"THE LA DC-8s DOWN! THE TWO 727s WONT BE HERE UNTIL 0500" SHIT!!!!! And with a reduced crew too to unld/reld,DAMN!!!!
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 12:32:04 PM EDT
[#38]
DHLs sure gonna do a number on CVG,if Delta goes belly up or shuts the hub down(like they did at DFW) that airport's gonna be a ghostown.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 2:52:21 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
shipment was shipped 2nd Day Air Last wednesday...

wont be here til tomorrow..

Just imagine if you sent it ground? When would it arrive then? WOW!

I used to joke that they had gliders instead of actual planes because anytime we had weather besides clear-no wind, they would be days late. We used them for payroll. Active check payroll.  There was lots of talk about lynchings by co-workers.....
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 2:52:28 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Because the last I checked, they do not allow ANY firearm shipments.

That's enough to not get any business from me, however one of the guys shipping me something sent it by this freaky DHL shipment method with is teh uuber suxx0rz - DHL slowly delivers it from the shipper to the local post office, then the post office has an extra 1 - 2 days to deliver it to my door. Freaking stupid (and I'm STILL waiting for the package!)

One thing I love about their tracking - they are never late. Or rather, they don't ever give an EAT, so how could they ever possibly be late?

That would be DHL@home, don't even get me started on that shit....

chromeluv, as for AR parts, it makes no difference. As long as it doesn't say 'machine guns" real big on the pkg, no one will even notice. FWIW, a local car dealer sends disassembled shotguns with us all the time.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 7:42:42 PM EDT
[#41]

Tracking summary
Current Status   Transit through sort facility.  

Est. Delivery Date: 9/19/2005

Get delivery notification  

Tracking history
Date and Time Status Location
9/20/2005 9:55 pm Transit through sort facility.    South Bend, IN
9/16/2005 1:10 am Transit through sort facility.    Chehalis, WA
9/15/2005 4:33 pm Departing origin.    Kent, WA
1:14 pm Picked Up by DHL. Shipper's Door

Well its not lost, which is the main worry gone. But its not even in my state as of 9pm tonight, it hasn't even it the clusterfuck in Ohio yet
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 7:45:02 PM EDT
[#42]
Im glad I dont have to ship anything big. I love the USPS $7.77 flat rate box. Holds  all I need for now anyway, and you can cram ANYTHING in there. The post office guy said he had one that was something like 45lbs and all it was was $7.77 (yes I trust him since I know him)
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 10:27:49 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Guys, words cannot begin to describe the goatfuck thats going on right now with DHL. Imagine FedEx or UPS moving their hubs from Memphis and Louisville. The logistics involved are stagering. This is whats happening with DHL right now. Some people screwed the pooch and said that they were ready for the move and weren't. On top of that you have some very disgruntled ABX employees loading and sorting their competitors aircraft. Some heads have already rolled because of this mistake. It's gonna be a little while before it's cleared up but cleared up it will be.

<-- works for Astar, a contractor for DHL.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top