Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/2/2005 9:16:51 AM EDT
Maybe it's just me but I expect NO help in the event of a major crisis. I expect that the gov. has bigger fish to fry for one. In the case of New Orleans, or an earthquake or whatever, government response is all about systemic kinds of things rather than individual kinds of things. Just the way the world works. And it's easy to be prepared. Since way before 911, I keep my backback filled with what I would need to get along for a few days and protect myself including a water filter, basic med kit and so on. Just what you would take on backpacking trip. I own the stuff already, why not keep it in the pack where I can grab it if for some reason I have to leave in a hurry? You never know. And at home? 10 gallons of fresh water, canned food, a campstove, candles, batteries and so on. No, not a warehouse full but a weeks worth of goodies. Plenty of guns & ammo too, although if I even got in a mag change during a disaster it would indicate something was really amiss. And FWIW, I wouldn't live in a flood plain or some other unusually disaster prone area although I know some people have no choice. Almost any contingency can be planned for though and I don't think it's all that tough. Heck, poor people the world over survive in harsh conditions daily with MUCH less than we get along on. What has happened to the idea that you take care of yourself? My parents always kept food, water, alternate means of heat, defensive items and so on. Neither were survivalists but both were survivors. Both had been through wars and the depression and understood that you can easily be on your own and it's your responsibility to figure it out, at least for awhile... Ok, rant off. I expect lots of folks here feel the same way.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 9:23:03 AM EDT
[#1]
"My expectation IS no help in a national Disaster"

Well, no shit.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 9:23:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Well, my opinion: They are as effective as the U.N.

Now where is LeeLaw's UN gif...?
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 9:27:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Ok, now your just being silly.

I too was raised by parents that to this day have about 3 months worth of food and a water tank inside the garage holding 250 gallons. We as a family are prepared. Some people were never taught this. It is hard to stock up on what you will need when your on wellfare smoking crack. I many be wrong but that is my gut feeling on those still in N.O. Does that mean we do not help them, no. We take care of the foolish every day in this country.

This is localized SHTF. Made me go over our supplies.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 9:28:26 AM EDT
[#4]
Same here.  I expect nothing from anyone.  I'm prepared to stay in my home with no help or food or water for two weeks, longer if needed.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 9:32:09 AM EDT
[#5]
The first rule in life is CYA...!
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 9:39:08 AM EDT
[#6]
NO NEED TO WORRY THE GOVERNMENT WILL TAKE CARE OF YOU

Go back to you everyday complacency with your Ipod in you ears and your head in the sand.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 9:43:35 AM EDT
[#7]
For the first 72 hours, that is a very realistic expectation.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 9:44:59 AM EDT
[#8]
People just don't get it.  The supreme court has ruled that the police have no duty to protect INDIVIDUAL safety.  The federal government is there to provide NATIONAL security, regulate trade and so on.  From the start, it was fairly clear that the government protects individual rights but not individuals.  Sure, they'll help where they can but it's a numbers game for them and I sure as hell wouldn't count on something as remote as the govt to personally give me a hand.  It doesn't even bother me; it's not their job.  It doesn't take a lot of brainpower to figure out that any national agency is going to be overwhelmed.  

They say these things bring out the best in people but that seems to be true only if there is some good to start...
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 9:54:18 AM EDT
[#9]
The disaster that frightens me most starts with "We are from the government and we are here to help you."
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top