Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/21/2013 2:34:43 PM EDT
Supposed to read this and write a paragraph about what I think it means. It's kind of weird though because it's so over the top I can't tell if it was written by a pro or anti-gunner. Hell maybe it was written by an arfcommer. Just thought i'd share, sorry about the wall of text guys!

Directions:  Read the following essay.  On a separate piece of paper with your name and subject heading of “Reading No. 1,” write a short paragraph explaining what you think the author's purpose was in writing the essay.  
A man's home is his fortress

By CASEY SEILER Albany Times Union
Published: Wednesday, January 16, 2013 at 1:00 a.m.
A summer day. Two neighbors. One on the lawn, the other on the roof of the front porch, tools spread around him on the shingles.
"Hey, Bob!"
"Who's that? I'll blast your -- oh! Hi, Glen. Didn't see you down there. Don't sneak up on a fella like that. I almost cut you in two with my .44."
"Sorry, Bob. Didn't expect you to be strapped while doing home improvements. Whatcha working on?"
"Putting in a new turret."
"No kidding? I thought you and Ruth were pretty happy after you cut in the second-floor loopholes."
"Oh, they're OK. But during the last couple of drills, Ruth and the kids noticed that the loopholes left a blind spot over by that tree that'd allow any halfway-skilled home invader to lay down a pretty good suppressing fire. Also, they're mighty drafty."
"Are you putting another one up over the back porch?"
"Why sure, Glen -- if we only had a turret out front, it's like an open invitation for someone to try an assault through the garden, or maybe a flanking action around the swing set."
"I see your point. I was making the same case down at the supermarket this morning. The deli counter and the bakery were completely undefended. I had my safety off the whole time. Spoke to the manager about it."
"Huh. Was he even packing?"
"Two Glocks in shoulder holsters over his apron."
"Whew. Glen, when will these guys realize that carrying only two pistols is like putting out the welcome mat for someone with three pistols? Or four?"
"Preach, brother. So are the kids excited about the turrets?"
"You bet. Ruth's got them all down at the range working out with the new armor-piercing ammo. She's already drawing up the duty roster."
"Let me ask you something, Bob: You and the kids going to be pulling guard duty 24/7?"
"Well, wouldn't you, Glen?"
"We've thought about going round the clock, but it's tough for the little ones what with homework and school sports."
A sigh from above. Bob dabs his forehead with the sleeve of his T-shirt.
"Listen, Glen, I would never tell a neighbor how to run his own home security -- especially a man who's holding such a fine Colt LE901-16S -- but I guess I'd just ask you to consider what kind of message it sends, you not having a round-the-clock surveillance plan."
"Gosh. Bob, I've got to say I've never thought about it like that."
"Let me tell you a little story: My wife and I moved our family to LaPierre Acres because we got sick and tired of living next to people who thought it was OK to keep a Louisville Slugger under the bed and call themselves secure."
"But that's ridiculous, Bob -- do we use a baseball bat to protect the president? And shouldn't that be the criteria we use to determine what weapons ordinary citizens should be able to own?"
"Glen, as soon as word got out that our block couldn't repel both organized armed criminals and the lone psychopaths that every American must be ready to confront at any moment of the day, property values started to plunge. We were lucky to get out when we did!"
"Even so, Bob, I wonder if going round the clock might take armed domestic response a bit too far."
"Glen, if there's one thing I've learned, it's that there's no such thing as 'too far.' Or a 'well-regulated militia,' for that matter."
"Hmm. You know, some poet once said that good fences make good neighbors. I'm betting that guy never owned anything that took a 30-round banana clip."
"Words of wisdom, Glen."
They wave.
Bob turns back to his work.
Glen slips back into the woods.

This story appeared in print on page A11

Link Posted: 1/21/2013 2:37:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Fuck is this drivel?
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 2:38:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Just mention the repression of women or homosexuals and you'll do fine.
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 2:38:44 PM EDT
[#3]

Link Posted: 1/21/2013 2:40:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

sounds like a plan the professor does seem a bit liberal.. this will be a long semester...

Link Posted: 1/21/2013 2:40:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 2:41:00 PM EDT
[#6]
That is plumb full of herp derpery.

Link Posted: 1/21/2013 2:41:16 PM EDT
[#7]
The author's purpose is to ridicule gun owners.

That's the gun grabbers' MO these days.
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 2:41:27 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

sounds like a plan the professor does seem a bit liberal.. this will be a long semester...

A bit liberal you say?

Link Posted: 1/21/2013 2:42:04 PM EDT
[#9]
I think my response would be along the lines of:
That was so horribly written that I'm ashamed any newspaper in this country was willing to publish. Furthermore if you as a teacher think that piece of crap is worth using in class I want a full refund of my tuition as well as any money spent on books.
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 2:42:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Its leftist drivel . Its how they see anyone who owns a weapon . My short paragraph would be this

Leftist propaganda, intended to show gun owners as stupid/dangerous people , in order to facilitate the demeaning of their stature for the purposes of demonizing them to the point that the government will see fit to "take care of them" by any means necessary.
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 2:43:11 PM EDT
[#11]
A glimpse into the future, under democrat control.
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 2:44:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Kind of on-topic since we're talking about college courses.  I'm taking a class right now and this is very representative of the course material:

Third, the governmetn is defiend byt he institutions that make, implemeant and evaluate public policy. In this class, we will look at the thre branhes of government (legislative, executive and judicial) as well as the bureaucracy that carrys out the lasws. The legislature makes teh laws; the governor (with the help fo the bureaucracy) implements the laws; and the coruts determine if the laws are apllied farily and legally.

Direct copy-and-paste from the material I have to read and study.  This is not even the worst example.  This is almost every sentence of every page.  I am paying $500 for this class.

Link Posted: 1/21/2013 2:44:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 2:46:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Libtard reductium ad absurditum fail.  He tried to poke fun at the idea of an armed populace by pretending that's what one would look like, taken to the extreme.
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 2:51:01 PM EDT
[#15]
"Buy a .50 for Pesky airplanes and a couple shottys. Just the sound of racking those will keep the unicorns safe.

By the way, I sleep on my stomach in case any fags needs to to relieve their balls into my ass.  Just try not to wake me up, I have to go turn in my falsified job applications tomorrow so I can keep getting unemployment. I want to get that done early so I can sell weed to the union guys on their lunch break."

This is your response.
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 2:56:56 PM EDT
[#16]
I would frame it that this would be a storyline created for broadcast by State Controlled media, by a Totalitarian Government intent on brainwashing and controlling its people by villifying the only remaining segment of the population  that sees the Government as the deceptive entity that it is.

Link Posted: 1/21/2013 2:58:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Anti as fuck.

If you can critique it, do.

I tried not to sell my morals out and usually got good grades.
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 3:08:39 PM EDT
[#18]
You're trying to get us to do your homework for you aren't you?
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 3:16:20 PM EDT
[#19]
Beat the Professor at his own game. Complain to College that you are forced to read traumatic literature about evil black rifles.  LOL
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 3:19:26 PM EDT
[#20]
Whoops double tap
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 3:19:29 PM EDT
[#21]
Wow, I guess that is somehow supposed to pass as satire?   Taking an issue and blowing it completely out of proportion?   Is this done in an attempt to make the author's own misguided perception seem more middle of the road?   Yes, let's paint everyone as an extremist and point fun at them so that we can some how make our own deluded opinion seem more civilized.

I take solace in knowing that if he knew the true state of my firearms ownership, and the reasons for owing things like AR15s, he would have a reaction akin to a person watching 2 girls 1 cup for the first time.

I suppose that if I am going to be forced to read things written by a total douchebag then I might as well use it for the only thing it is good for.   Toilet paper.

That would pretty much be my entire response to your idiotic misguided teacher.   Critical thinking, yeah right, more like politically motivated attempts at indoctrination and group think.   I think to call her a "professor" is too kind.

Link Posted: 1/21/2013 3:21:51 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Beat the Professor at his own game. Complain to College that you are forced to read traumatic literature about evil black rifles.  LOL

lol, that'll teach em'! I wrote my response. i tried to make it as observational as possible so it didn't come across as a strong op-ed piece, which is really hard to do in this circumstance. regardless, i'm sure he will know my stance on this subject when he reads it, but i still think he will grade me fairly. hopefully.

if not i'll just demand that i feel ripped off and i no longer want to pay my school loans back and just want it for free
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 3:23:41 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

If you want to throw them for a loop, talk about the Pink Pistols, how armed gays don't get bashed, or how women who are armed can fight back; and how gun control gives them the "right" to fistfight their rapists.

Link Posted: 1/21/2013 3:37:27 PM EDT
[#24]
Just laugh at your teacher and tell them that is one of the most juvenile 'Cum Hoc, Ergo Propter Hoc' attempts at demonizing their fellow citizens you've ever had the misfortune to be subjected to.

The libtard transference alone rates a beatdown.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top