Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Page General » Pets
Site Notices
Posted: 7/22/2009 11:47:25 AM EST
So every morning I let the dog out in the yard and get ready for work. He is a 3 year old Beagle and is great dog, but it is freaking my out. After Im done I go outside and call him to come inside so I can leave. But now the past 2 weeks he is not listening and just sits in a corner shaking. I dont yell at him cause i know that freaks him out more. He just sit there shaking until I go over there and get him moving. Today i had to pick him up and bring him to the door just so I could take off for work.

Any Ideas?
Link Posted: 7/22/2009 11:54:07 AM EST
[Last Edit: 7/22/2009 11:56:47 AM EST by eracer]

Has he been exposed to some sort of trauma while inside the house? Does he act normally while in the house?

What if you take him outside in the front yard? Does he still seem to fear coming back in?

Is he alone in the house all day while you are at work? Maybe he's associated "coming in the house" with you leaving, and thinks that by staying outside you won't leave him alone. Maybe you could take him out earlier, bringing him back inside 20-30 minutes before you have to leave. Break the association.
Link Posted: 7/22/2009 11:59:41 AM EST
He senses the ATF is coming. Hide him with neighbors.

...........or take him to the vet for a de-worming.
Link Posted: 7/22/2009 12:00:57 PM EST
Vet
Link Posted: 7/22/2009 12:07:30 PM EST
[Last Edit: 7/22/2009 12:08:15 PM EST by Gettingthat]
Originally Posted By eracer:

Has he been exposed to some sort of trauma while inside the house? Does he act normally while in the house?

Dont think so. He plays with the cat, but they just fall asleep when thwey are done. He sleeps so much that I cant of anything that would scare him.

What if you take him outside in the front yard? Does he still seem to fear coming back in?

Never take him in the front yard cause there is no fence on a busy street. This in only in the morning before I leave. The rest of the day he listens great (for a beagle).

Is he alone in the house all day while you are at work? Maybe he's associated "coming in the house" with you leaving, and thinks that by staying outside you won't leave him alone. Maybe you could take him out earlier, bringing him back inside 20-30 minutes before you have to leave. Break the association.

Ill try this. I was thinking it might be along these lines, but I have had him almost 2 years and this just started less then 2 weeks ago.

Link Posted: 7/22/2009 3:07:40 PM EST
dibs on his guns, collar, food bowl and crate.
Link Posted: 7/22/2009 3:09:31 PM EST
Ghosts.
Link Posted: 7/23/2009 4:37:28 AM EST

Originally Posted By Melvinator2k0:
Ghosts.

"I see dead cats. They're everywhere...."
Link Posted: 7/23/2009 4:43:17 AM EST
[Last Edit: 7/23/2009 4:44:20 AM EST by eracer]

Originally Posted By Gettingthat:

Dont think so. He plays with the cat, but they just fall asleep when thwey are done. He sleeps so much that I cant of anything that would scare him.

Never take him in the front yard cause there is no fence on a busy street. This in only in the morning before I leave. The rest of the day he listens great (for a beagle).

Ill try this. I was thinking it might be along these lines, but I have had him almost 2 years and this just started less then 2 weeks ago.

I like the vet idea even more. I made a big mistake once with a pet that I still beat myself up over. His behavior changed all of a sudden (started pooping in the house) and I wrote it off as a behavioral issue (I also left him alone all day and thought he might be reacting to that.) Turned out it was cancer. The vet told me it was pretty advanced and nothing could have been done - even if I had brought him in right away. But still, I let him suffer for two weeks before I finally admitted it probably wasn't behavioral. I'll NEVER make that mistake again. Just thinking about it now pisses me off....

I'm not trying to scare you, and if he's normal inside the house then that is a very positive sign. Still, any sudden behavior change could be something a doc needs to diagnose.

Hope everything works out well.
Link Posted: 7/23/2009 7:02:02 AM EST

I'm not trying to scare you.

Well you failed...But really thanks for the advice. ill have the wife call the vet and have him come out to the house asap. Its just weird that the only thing that has changed was just coming into the house in the morning.
Link Posted: 7/23/2009 10:21:14 AM EST

I'm not trying to scare you.

Well you failed...But really thanks for the advice. ill have the wife call the vet and have him come out to the house asap. Its just weird that the only thing that has changed was just coming into the house in the morning.

My good thoughts are with you and your friend.
Link Posted: 7/23/2009 11:14:54 AM EST
Thanks...I just hate thinking that there is something wrong with him...maybe he just wants to be an outside dog during the day? What ever it is hopefully the vet can give us some type of idea...
Link Posted: 7/23/2009 8:43:36 PM EST
What is on the other side of the fence? Could that be freaking him out? Does he equate going outside with you leaving, and maybe have some separation anxiety?
For some reason, on the mornings will neighbors have a yard man working in their yards and using lawn mowers and weed whackers, my dog will not go potty in the back yard. The noise totally bugs him.
Link Posted: 7/23/2009 9:09:44 PM EST
He just may want to be outside more.Mine when I come home after being gone all or most of the day will after getting hiz bizness done will sit in the yard not wanting to come in even for a treat.
He will also know about when I am heading into work and will hurry to his bowl and eat and then head for the door so he can do a drop before I or the wife are gone.Lucky we are for the dog in that we got freaky schedules and he is not alone that much.
He knows when it is hunt time and heads right for the truck when you toss in a gun case too.Dogs are great and I am going to make me a bumper sticker that says I swerve for dogs,not kids
Link Posted: 7/24/2009 6:50:27 AM EST
I think it is me just leaving in the morning...I just wish I knew why he just started to freak out now and not years ago...plus he just lays around and sleep with the cats all day...I would rather do that then wake up for work...
Link Posted: 7/25/2009 3:26:04 PM EST
[Last Edit: 7/25/2009 3:26:43 PM EST by akodo]
there is a genetic defect that when a dog gets a big 'happy high' his control of his body actually stops. One type manifiests in the dog freezing in place and twitching, another manifests in the dog simply falling asleep.

this condition often develops a little bit later in life

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zVCYdrw-1o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6_hwbp97eU
Link Posted: 7/27/2009 8:28:00 AM EST
Update?
Link Posted: 7/27/2009 9:19:10 AM EST
Wife called and he said it would be a week and a half before he can make it to our place. She also stayed home so I didnt take him out this morning. Didnt have one problem with him this weekend, so I just think its when we leave.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 8:55:53 AM EST

+1, we leave the television on for our "children" They love QVC!! Seriously! And I think it's because of all the talking.

Page General » Pets
Top Top