Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/16/2005 7:24:02 PM EDT
I pick up my 6 Y.O. daughter at the bus stop after school today and as we are walking back to the house, she looks up at me and says "Daddy, can I be Jewish? I want to be Jewish. I almost laughed out loud but held it in and just said "Sure honey, you can be Jewish. Happy Chanuka." She said "Thank you Daddy".
We get in the house and I just have to ask her why she wants to be Jewish. She tells me that they are learning about the holidays and her friend is Jewish and his mom came to school to talk to them about Chanuka. Then she gets in her bookbag and pulls out a dradle made out of a toothpick, marshmallow and a Hershey's kiss and says "They get to have these at Christmas so I want to be Jewish too. Then she starts chomping away at her "dradle".

I said "Maybe I'll be Jewish too then". She said, "She only made one for each of us."
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 7:24:41 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

I said "Maybe I'll be Jewish too then". She said, "She only made one for each of us."

Kids are smart!

Link Posted: 12/16/2005 7:25:22 PM EDT
[#2]
OMG that's funny!!!  Kids are neat, they have such a blissful outlook sometimes.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 7:27:19 PM EDT
[#3]
at least she didn't say I wanna be muslim
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 7:27:33 PM EDT
[#4]
LOL.

Happy Yom Kippur......
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 7:28:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Can a Christian go to your school and read the Nativity from the Bible and hand out rosaries?
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 7:28:12 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

just wait for college
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 7:30:03 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Only if they make burkhas out of candy.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 7:31:26 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Can a Christian go to your school and read the Nativity from the Bible and hand out rosaries?

I don't know. I'm not turning this into one of those threads. It was just something cute and funny my daughter did.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 7:32:45 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

If not, call the ACLU.

They have consistenly gone to court to protect the rights of Christian student to hand out religious materials in school and to pray on school property.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 7:47:01 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

just wait for college

Indeed, here at college a lot of people get into Islam without knowing entirely what is in it, accepting the whole "it's a religion of peace" at face value. Me, I have read the Qur'an and some of the collections of Hadiith(mainly Al-Bukhari's), and find that Islam is just "another quaint Middle Eastern" religion, no real perks or benefits, or detriments compared to the other two popular ones. It may be a religion of peace; however, it provides a lot of cases in which going to war is "A-Okay", a lot more than Christianity anyway.

However, even though I really don't find Islam anymore despicable than Christianity or Judaism, I definitely would not suggest women join it unless they know the culture of most Muslim circles is incredibly sexist.

Me, I hope my future kids tell me, "I want to be an Atheist/Buddhist dad". Of course, that will be after I let them go to synagogues, mosques, and churches during their teenage years.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 7:48:40 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If not, call the ACLU.

They have consistenly gone to court to protect the rights of Christian student to hand out religious materials in school and to pray on school property.

You may be sarcastic with your comments, but the ACLU actually has stood up for Christians, it just doesn't make the news as much, if at all. This coming second hand from a family friend who is a lawyer for the ACLU.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 8:13:24 PM EDT
[#12]
I told my dad that I wanted to be Catholic when I was 10-12 years old, and he said EWWW, Catholic?

I only wanted to be Catholic because most of my friends were.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 8:18:04 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I told my dad that I wanted to be Catholic when I was 10-12 years old, and he said EWWW, Catholic?

I only wanted to be Catholic because most of my friends were.

You could go to Mass on Saturday night and then wouldn't have to get up on Sunday morning when you are hung over.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 8:21:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Sign her up for Krav Maga lessons.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 8:23:40 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Sign her up for Krav Maga lessons.

I better give it some time. She may want to be a Disney princess tomorrow.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 8:25:40 PM EDT
[#16]
dont put any presents under the tree on christmas morning, and when she starts asking why she didnt get anything just tell her "Jewish people dont celebrate christmas, so now that you're jewish you dont get presents"

might make for a fun moment.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 8:30:37 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I pick up my 6 Y.O. daughter at the bus stop after school today and as we are walking back to the house, she looks up at me and says "Daddy, can I be Jewish? I want to be Jewish. I almost laughed out loud but held it in and just said "Sure honey, you can be Jewish. Happy Chanuka." She said "Thank you Daddy".
We get in the house and I just have to ask her why she wants to be Jewish. She tells me that they are learning about the holidays and her friend is Jewish and his mom came to school to talk to them about Chanuka. Then she gets in her bookbag and pulls out a dradle made out of a toothpick, marshmallow and a Hershey's kiss and says "They get to have these at Christmas so I want to be Jewish too. Then she starts chomping away at her "dradle".

I remember I told my dad that I wanted to be muslim, when I was in middle school I think.

This was because I had been brainwashed at an early age by public school. The religious studies class that they made us take was basically about how the muslims were so advanced and sophistocated and tolerant back in the middle ages, when the white christians were evil barbarians.

When I got a little bit older I realized "WTF!?!" That is why I am such a conservative today, really. Out of spite for being brainwashed by lefties.

Actually, I think I remember the exact moment I became conservative. Back some time in high schrool, I was a RATM fan. The band was doing some sort of activist protest about the execution of some convicted murder. He had an adopted muslim name but I forgot what it was. The band (or the lead singer anyway) was saying how he was framed and wrongly accused, and that the country was killing a peaceful, innocent, muslim man. So I went up to my dad, and was talking about this. And his reponse was:

Dad: "You mean $real-name-of-the-guy? He robbed a liquor store and shot 3 old ladies in the back with a shotgun. There were witnesses. His accomplice confessed."
Me: "Really?"
Dad: "Yeah..."
Me: "huh....so those protestors are all full of shit?"
Dad: "Yeah..."
Me: "huh...."
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 8:34:06 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
dont put any presents under the tree on christmas morning, and when she starts asking why she didnt get anything just tell her "Jewish people dont celebrate christmas, so now that you're jewish you dont get presents"

You don't have children do you?
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 8:36:06 PM EDT
[#19]
fellas... take it easy. he was posting something cute that his daughter did and your turning it into a political thread...

that being said.... I'm suprised that someone from the ACLU hasn't filed a lawsuit against the school for "forcing" religion on kids
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 8:36:24 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

bwahahahaha
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 8:36:54 PM EDT
[#21]
Well, this cute "awww" thread went downhill fast.  Cant yall just post an "awww, thats cute!  Lets see some pics of the little darling and her 'dradles'." and then leave?

Are we going to politicize the dog thread now?
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 8:38:09 PM EDT
[#22]
My 6 year old wants to be a Jedi Master.  I believe he's well on his way.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 8:41:14 PM EDT
[#23]
I did that once when I was around her age. I had a jewish friend who told me about hannkah and the 10 nights of gifts so I came and was like ok mom im jewish now so she brought me a yamaka.
It was funny some were we still have it.

Link Posted: 12/16/2005 8:43:55 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

heck, it's as legit as any other belief system
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 8:46:24 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You don't have children do you?

no and I hope I never have any(much to the delight of many members here I'm sure....)
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 8:48:08 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

All ya have to do is take a martial art, practice it all day long, and run around with a plastic lightsaber smacking stuff.  Then there's the choke-pinch thing when he says "I find your lack of faith disturbing".  

I tell him... "hard exercise and doing all your homework is the way to the good side of the force."  I figure he'll be a brown belt before he figures out he can't levitate swords with his mind powers.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 8:49:40 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

All ya have to do is take a martial art, practice it all day long, and run around with a plastic lightsaber smacking stuff.  Then there's the choke-pinch thing when he says "I find your lack of faith disturbing".  

I tell him... "hard exercise and doing all your homework is the way to the good side of the force."  I figure he'll be a brown belt before he figures out he can't levitate swords with his mind powers.

Don't forget the jedi mind tricks.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 8:52:27 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

He won't appreciate that until he discovers how groovy girls really are.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 12:05:30 AM EDT
[#29]
My daughter is Jewish and became a born again Christian. Go figure!
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 2:36:23 AM EDT
[#30]

My 6 year old wants to be a Jedi Master. I believe he's well on his way.

Well, I hope you contact the ACLU to get them to sue on behalf of the Sith! They have consistenly gone to court to protect the rights of Sith students to hand out their materials in school and to whack Jedis on school property.

Link Posted: 12/17/2005 2:46:35 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
My daughter is Jewish and became a born again Christian. Go figure!

So did a good friend of mine.  He fell in love with a bible-thumping Southern Baptist girl who was about on par with Nicole Kidman in the looks department.  You never saw an agnostic Jew find Jesus so fast
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 6:06:32 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

He won't appreciate that until he discovers how groovy girls really are.

You mean once he discovers that females have all the mind tricks and will lead him around by his light saber?
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 6:11:53 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

HA HA.  Fat chance!!

Link Posted: 12/17/2005 6:28:22 AM EDT
[#34]
Is her name Peter Griffin?
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 8:13:53 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

HA HA.  Fat chance!!

Now ask yourself why ?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top