Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/24/2005 6:03:40 PM EDT
I've been following another recent post regarding a workout program and it's been very interesting so i thought I'd put my own situation out for some advice.

I posted recently that in January of 2005 I weighed 378 lbs.  Over the course of the past 11.5 months I dropped down to around 355-360 without doing anything in particular.  

The day after Thanksgiving I began working out and changed my eating habits.  I am currently at 345 lbs so have lost 10+ lbs since Thanksgiving.

What I'm doing:

I eat a fairly high protein breakfast, often tuna salad or a been/cheese burrito.  Lunch is often a fastfood sandwich (No doubles, Big Macs, Whoppers, etc.... just regular cheeseburger) and a small dr. pepper or root beer and dinner is generally a healthy choice entree.  I often snack in the evenings on grapes, blueberries, and if I'm really hungy I'll eat a second entree.  I'm eating a lot less but never going hungry.

Three days per week do an upper body strength program consisting of bicep, tricep, pec, lats, delts one strenuous set per body part.

5-6 days per week I ride a Schwinn Airdyne 10 miles at better than 15 mph average speed.  Sometimes I do the 10 miles at once but usually I split it 6 and 4.  I'm slightly anaerobic for a significant portion of that time.  

My main goal is to try and gain some semblence of decent health.  

Comments, critiques or suggestions?
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 6:42:52 PM EDT
[#1]
As long as your up and moving your heading in the right direction. If you feeling good stick with it.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 6:57:48 PM EDT
[#2]
it seems good but i would lose the soda and maybe only do cardio 4 days a week.  You need to have some time for your body to rest.

Link Posted: 12/24/2005 7:21:20 PM EDT
[#3]
He is trying to burn calories to lose weight, He is not trying to bulk up. 5-6 days of cardio is fine.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 6:21:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Here are some suggestions.  
Nutrition
Try to eat the majority of your carbs in the early part of the day.  

Lose the sodas.

Learn to read the nutrition info on packages.

If you are going to eat fast food sandwiches.  Order 2 instead of one, and throw the buns away.

Learn to cook.

Exercise
Do compound exercises.  Deadlifts and squatting are your friends.

Do your cardio after your lifting.

Only eat carbs after a workout.

Link Posted: 12/28/2005 6:45:51 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I've been following another recent post regarding a workout program and it's been very interesting so i thought I'd put my own situation out for some advice.

I posted recently that in January of 2005 I weighed 378 lbs.  Over the course of the past 11.5 months I dropped down to around 355-360 without doing anything in particular.  

The day after Thanksgiving I began working out and changed my eating habits.  I am currently at 345 lbs so have lost 10+ lbs since Thanksgiving.

What I'm doing:

I eat a fairly high protein breakfast, often tuna salad or a been/cheese burrito.  Lunch is often a fastfood sandwich (No doubles, Big Macs, Whoppers, etc.... just regular cheeseburger) and a small dr. pepper or root beer and dinner is generally a healthy choice entree.  I often snack in the evenings on grapes, blueberries, and if I'm really hungy I'll eat a second entree.  I'm eating a lot less but never going hungry.

Three days per week do an upper body strength program consisting of bicep, tricep, pec, lats, delts one strenuous set per body part.

5-6 days per week I ride a Schwinn Airdyne 10 miles at better than 15 mph average speed.  Sometimes I do the 10 miles at once but usually I split it 6 and 4.  I'm slightly anaerobic for a significant portion of that time.  

My main goal is to try and gain some semblence of decent health.  

Comments, critiques or suggestions?

Corwin, I work with guys in your position quite often, so if you do not mind, I'll add my .02.

First, let me say, believe it or not, you are in an enviable position. No kidding. Because of your size, you do have a sizeable amount of muscle on your frame, so once we get that bodyfat % down, you will be left with a nice amount of dense muscle.

That being said, your progress thus far is impressive and it leads me to believe that you are in a favorable state to build upon your situation with a few tweaks.

338winmag gave you a piece of gospel. Especially the part about SQUATS AND DEADLIFTS BEING YOUR FRIEND. I'd say that again if it wasn't annoying... :D

check out the plan that I posted in the other thread. One of its intents is to begin the conditioning phase for a lifter, or as is the case for most of my guys, beginning conditioning for my fighters. However, it will work VERY well for you. Especially since it seems that your body is in a fat burning phase. If you've dropped the weight that you've said without doing anything, you're golden.

I have to say, LOSE THE FASTFOOD, period. LOSE the SODA's, period. Cut back on the fruits and juice. I know that sounds odd, but fruits once digested turns to sugar, aka glucose, and that in turn can add to your midsection much the same way soda does. Fruits in the morning to get your blood sugar up, and at lunch time. You do however need to increase your vegetable intake so that you can get the antioxidants and anti-inflammatory's that you'll need to fight cortisol that will incur when you start a concentrated workout program. Cortisol will chew away at the muscle that you currently have, and it can prevent future growth.

If I can be of assistance in greater detail, drop me a PM.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top