Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 11/8/2001 5:21:26 PM EDT
I am still chuckling over this... I was returning home last night from a meeting at my gun range. I have to travel over a pretty country road, but it was dark (this was the first meeting after the time change). I always am on the lookout for deer on the way as I've seen plenty to the sides of the road. Sure enough, I had to slam on the breaks to avoid hitting a deer. My car skidded to a stop inches in front of a deer, who was wide-eyed in terror. The dear bolted, running forward and into the left hand lane just as another car came from that direction. Dang - bad night for that deer. Anyway, the other car swerved into the breakdown lane and managed to miss the deer, but Bambi was pretty rattled at this point. She turned back around and bolted right back the way she came, and smack, bounced right off the front of my car (still stopped). Crap, I always thought I'd be the one to hit a deer, not the other way around.[:D]
Link Posted: 11/8/2001 5:29:38 PM EDT
Enjoy the dinner.......least you can get for the cost of repairs.......[spank]
Link Posted: 11/8/2001 5:42:48 PM EDT
Actually a little helpful technical info here. According to my wife, who is an insurance agent, make sure the deer always ran into your car. If I remember correctly that way it is a comprehensive claim not collision thus no deductible.
Link Posted: 11/8/2001 5:51:52 PM EDT
We were diving about 40 mph down a farm-to-market road in TX one evening.... and see this huge racked deer running in the field up ahead, heading toward the road.... he was a ways off. Anyway, as we get closer, it starts to dawn on the driver how close that deer might get to us.... it initially looked like we would be long gone. That deer kicked in the afterburners, and clocked the side of our vehicle in the rear quaterpanel almost enough to break the back end loose.... as we almost started a fishtail. Damn deer wasnt even phased, and kept right on going. Left a nice dent in the quaterpanel tho! Never forget that one.
Link Posted: 11/8/2001 5:54:32 PM EDT
Did you get the deer's "tag" number? Did it have insurance?
Link Posted: 11/8/2001 5:56:09 PM EDT
Slugbait00 is correct as far as here in Tennessee. I have had 5 deer hit me in 2 years and paid 0 deductible. Even got a rental with no out of pocket while the ghetto sled; 92 towncar, was in the shop.
Link Posted: 11/8/2001 6:02:09 PM EDT
this is the week of deer and cars. lori called from the road at 11:00PM last night, met her first deer up close and personal. the jeep, well, it is a lot shorter but she is alright. that is all that matters. when we went to get a rent a wreck they said that we were the 23rd people in today that had to get a rent because of hitting bamby. of course, the animal rights nuts here in the peoples republic of new jersey love bamby very much and hunters that would thin the group are pond scum at best. lori went to the 'closet' (safe) took out both the ar and the glock and said, ok you rats, lets see who wins this next round!! cars we can replace, lori i cannot. of course after being a pastry chef in new york a job will help too. 15,ooo chefs, pastry chefs, and others that work in restaurants are out of work. i hope things pick up SOON!!!!
Link Posted: 11/8/2001 6:55:17 PM EDT
Yeah but they dont mind if towns in NJ hire "professional" hunters to come in and reduce the deer population with baited killing areas at $250.00 a head (seen in a northern NJ newspaper recently) Last year at a pre season meeting the DEC held in New Paltz NY P.E.T.A members outshouted hunters (who did not take the time to attend in record numbers)and proposed that the sportsman fund paid into by a tax on firearms ammunition and hunting licences, be used to fund a plan to deliver by airgun, injected contraceptives to prevent deer reproduction until popultions dropped to more manageable levels "by natural methods" I guess starvation and freezeing are preferable natural methods to trim deer populations down. The proposal was rejected -but not by much but the fact that the commisioners were willing to listen to it is telling. Also the paltry turnout of hunters and lack of new hunters does not help The NYS DEC announced this year that ALL deer management units in the state were at 90% or better of capacity and that secondary doe permits would be avialable to all hunters that wanted them at DEC check stations when they brought in thier first doe. Hunting has become very un-pc and body shops, car dealerships, banks and insurance companies will reap the rewards.
Link Posted: 11/8/2001 7:55:47 PM EDT
Gad, I must really be new at this. I thought this was sort of unique. Guess not! No damage this time (actually knocked some of the dust off the car), but I'll keep this in mind if I ever bag one myself. "Honest, the damned thing just ran straight into my parked car. Must have been doing 60 at the time."
Link Posted: 11/9/2001 12:51:47 AM EDT
Link Posted: 11/9/2001 12:54:52 AM EDT
The deer hit you[rolleyes] No more beer for you!
Link Posted: 11/9/2001 1:10:48 AM EDT
body shops ... will reap the rewards.
View Quote
But do they actually lobby against hunting? In the town I live-in, a few repair shops lobbied the city to put piles of asphalt in neighborhoods to damage cars. The mayor tried to explain away this ridiculous action by stating that damaging cars cut-down on drug trafficking. I wonder if the same sort of dishonest lobbying is at work.z
Top Top