Warning

 

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/26/2005 2:09:36 PM EDT
Drove the 1 hour commute to college today.

Parked car and turned off ignition.

Leaned back seat to relax until time for class to start.

Noticed a funny smell then leaned up to see steam coming from underneath hood.

Thought the radiator hose probably sprung a leak.

Popped hood and got out to investigate...found flames, big flames.

Tried to snuff out flames with a towel that I had....did not work.

Remembered that I carry an extra bottle of antifreeze/water mixture in my trunk, dumped on flames and got it to go out.

Looking back, I realize I probably should have let it burn. I just hope the damn thing is totaled. I wish I knew what caused the fire to start.

Does this type of thing only happen to me?

Link Posted: 9/26/2005 2:12:17 PM EDT
Had a friend who was driving his 80s model GMC Jimmy down his driveway when it just spontaneously combusted and burned to the ground in minutes. nothing left but a badly burned and partially melted frame. He got out okay, for those that were wondering.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 2:13:32 PM EDT
Is your car a Ford?
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 2:14:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/26/2005 2:15:46 PM EDT by bulldog1967]
CARBEQUE!


Link Posted: 9/26/2005 2:15:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/26/2005 2:15:35 PM EDT by cluster]

Originally Posted By Zack3g:
Had a friend who was driving his 80s model GMC Jimmy down his driveway when it just spontaneously combusted and burned to the ground in minutes. nothing left but a badly burned and partially melted frame. He got out okay, for those that were wondering.



saw pretty much that same truck burning on the side of the highway about a month ago..

there was 4 people with a a WTF look on thier face standing around it...
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 2:17:29 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Zack3g:
Had a friend who was driving his 80s model GMC Jimmy down his driveway when it just spontaneously combusted and burned to the ground in minutes. nothing left but a badly burned and partially melted frame. He got out okay, for those that were wondering.



Dad had an 87 model s-10 that caught on fire one day, while it was turned off. We were flying over the air field and saw something burning, turns out it was his truck. Mid 80s s series trucks and blazers/jimmys did that a lot. Even when off, if they had been run in the previous hour or so. Big recall on them.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 2:17:37 PM EDT
I commute alot, and see a car fire at least once a month. No particular make or model in common.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 2:22:32 PM EDT
guy I know was driving and got some cardboard stuck on top of the manifold...
we walked out of the bar and saw his whole cherokee ablaze. really sucked. I always avoid paper in the road now.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 2:40:49 PM EDT
What's the odds of it being totaled?

It is a '97 Grand Prix GT w/ 150,000 miles on it.

The fire melted a lot of the wiring and many of the hoses etc....
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 2:46:59 PM EDT

Originally Posted By buckfever34:
What's the odds of it being totaled?

It is a '97 Grand Prix GT w/ 150,000 miles on it.

The fire melted a lot of the wiring and many of the hoses etc....

I'd guess blue book retail is in the mid 3k range. With today's labor costs and everything else, Probably a decent chance.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 2:52:10 PM EDT

Originally Posted By buckfever34:
What's the odds of it being totaled?

It is a '97 Grand Prix GT w/ 150,000 miles on it.

The fire melted a lot of the wiring and many of the hoses etc....



Do you have fire and theft coverage? If so then there's a chance, but it really depends on how much of the harness is damaged. Hoses are not going to be a big factor when the adjuster comes, but wiring will in this case.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 2:55:38 PM EDT
awesome chance of it being totalled... Wiring harness alone=$1000-$2000 and labor=same as harness...
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 2:59:06 PM EDT

Originally Posted By extxdpscamaro:
awesome chance of it being totalled... Wiring harness alone=$1000-$2000 and labor=same as harness...




I hope the damn thing is totaled......I don't have to pay a deductible with my comprehensive coverage so it might all work out just fine
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 3:03:34 PM EDT
buckfever, sorry to hear that. As long as you are okay, that's the best thing!
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 3:09:28 PM EDT
No, it doesn't just happen to you. My 1994 Probe GT caught fire after sitting at work for almost 8 hours. Only 42,000 miles on the odometer.



Link Posted: 9/26/2005 3:10:45 PM EDT
Forget the poster's name, but his new Dodge caught fire several months ago.

Link Posted: 9/26/2005 3:13:01 PM EDT

Originally Posted By buckfever34:
What's the odds of it being totaled?

It is a '97 Grand Prix GT w/ 150,000 miles on it.

The fire melted a lot of the wiring and many of the hoses etc....



Lemme guess, it had the 3.1l motor in it, didnt it?

If so, shoulda been a recall on it long ago. Had a key ignition cylinder recall in it....
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 3:23:38 PM EDT

Originally Posted By tyman:

Originally Posted By buckfever34:
What's the odds of it being totaled?

It is a '97 Grand Prix GT w/ 150,000 miles on it.

The fire melted a lot of the wiring and many of the hoses etc....



Lemme guess, it had the 3.1l motor in it, didnt it?

If so, shoulda been a recall on it long ago. Had a key ignition cylinder recall in it....



actually, it's got the 3.8
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 3:29:32 PM EDT
I keep one of these in a multipocket organizer that hangs on the back of the passenger side front seat

www.kiddeus.com/Fire+Extinguisher+Catalog.shtml
Model FA110 - Multipurpose Home Fire Extinguisher
Model FA110 - Multipurpose Home Fire Extinguisher
Part # 466142- Multipurpose Use - Disposable
Suitable for use on Class A (trash, wood & paper), Class B (liquids & gases) and Class C fires (energized electrical equipment). The Full Home unit is fitted with a pressure gauge that provides at-a-glance status, is manufactured from lightweight aluminum and a tough nylon valve assembly.
• Multipurpose Dry Chemical
• UL listed
• UL rated 1-A,10-B:C
• U.S.C.G, DOT approved
• Supplied with retention strap bracket
• Monoammonium Phosphate
• 6 year limited warranty
• Suitable for use on most common fires

Link Posted: 9/26/2005 3:34:25 PM EDT
last semester at my college a pos pizza delivery car caught on fire while he was parked delivering pizza. our dorm overlooked the parking lot, so it was pretty fun to watch. unfortunately there were cars on both sides and in front of him, so they got a little melted too (aka the plastic bumper of the car right in front of that one)

it was neat to watch, i kind of wanted to go closer but the possibility of a boom followed by flying shrapnel kept me (as well as a ton of work) inside
Top Top