Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/4/2001 6:27:40 PM EDT
Rem VSSF 308
[img]http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SOCAL_AR15_Club/files/June%202nd%202001%20WebShooters%20pics/P6020123.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 6/4/2001 6:33:49 PM EDT
[#1]
What? I didn't see anything but some shrubs and brush?

Nice job!
Link Posted: 6/4/2001 6:34:20 PM EDT
[#2]
That looks great - how did you do it? I have a Tikka 7MM Mag All Weather Black Synthetic Stock Stainless Steel rifle that I want to camo. I was thinking of playing off the gray/black angle for my camo. Any tips would be appreciated. Also, what type of paint did you use?

Again, that looks like a nice job.
Link Posted: 6/4/2001 6:40:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Thats awesome! Nice drab colors that blend well, but still have enough contrast to break up the rifles outline. Good job!

G2
Link Posted: 6/4/2001 6:50:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/4/2001 6:51:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks fellas- I used colors that occur locally.
colors-Sand
olive drab
Afrikan mustard
primer gray
nato green
black
hi temp primer first coat
sand completely covered primer
lay a fern leaf on rifle and paint around it, alternate colors and leaf.
used same fern leafs for nato green lines.
Used a military nylon camo cloth that has the diamond pattern to paint black then used same cloth over the black to paint Afrikan mustard to give shadow effect.
I used enamel spray paint- some Testors model paint and regular enamel sp from hardware stores.
I used less colors on the scope because i`m a chicken. The scope cost more than the rifle.
Link Posted: 6/4/2001 6:52:48 PM EDT
[#6]
this is gonna sound like a stupid question, but what do the little red buttons on the back of the leupolds do?

And..[i]you're certainly not considering killing innocent woodland creatures like bambi with that MEAN LOOKIN kill-rifle are you?[/i]
Link Posted: 6/4/2001 6:53:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Good work.. I was thinking about a Rem 308 but was told Remington has discontinued this model. anyone outhere know if this is so? If yes what is comparable.
thanks
Link Posted: 6/4/2001 6:57:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
this is gonna sound like a stupid question, but what do the little red buttons on the back of the leupolds do?
[/i]
View Quote

That is a Butler Creek pop open lens cover, front and rear.
KACH- Yes they discontinued it. I would look for a 700p
Link Posted: 6/4/2001 8:23:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/5/2001 5:58:00 AM EDT
[#10]
Ok one more question...did you practice on anything before you sprayed your rifle? That is my biggest fear...messing up.

Did any of you guys ever consider that BearCoat deal that was on the old AR15.com home page? Something like $250 for a hard ass job that protects and camos your rifle.
Link Posted: 6/5/2001 6:00:48 AM EDT
[#11]
Be careful, Rich.  You could lose your rifle!
Link Posted: 6/5/2001 8:37:32 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Agent Smith:
Ok one more question...did you practice on anything before you sprayed your rifle? That is my biggest fear...messing up.

Did any of you guys ever consider that BearCoat deal that was on the old AR15.com home page? Something like $250 for a hard ass job that protects and camos your rifle.
View Quote

Practice???? We dont need no stinking practices.
I know this sounds wierd but I used to do alot of models as a kid and every once in a while now. I got a good idea of patterns from that.
I also painted my fair share of duece and a halfs as well as jeeps.
Enamel is fine for paint, thses teflon based coatings are neat and professional looking but in reality if you have to crawl with a rifle or other things that caused you to camo it in the first place, you will scratch it. And no teflon based coating is going to stand up to sharp rocks.
The beauty of doing it your self is:
It`s fun.
It cost me zero dollars because I had the paint already, if you bought the paint it would cost you no more than a few dollars per color you dont have. Every body has primer gray.
Second when you scratch it, it is a quick fix just like new.
And all work is done at your house.
For pistols I take a different approach. As soon as my 1911 comes back from Gunex, it will be sent to Walter Birdsong. That is a durable finish. I prefer hardchrome but I dont like shiny weapons.  
Link Posted: 6/5/2001 8:44:44 AM EDT
[#13]
That looks great!  Did you do prep the metal in anyway prior to putting the first coat of primer on?  Again, good job!
Link Posted: 6/5/2001 9:07:51 AM EDT
[#14]
I agree that it would be fun to do that yourself...but I am no Pablo Picasso...I am an less than artistic...in fact all my models looked like crap. Good thing I had firecrackers.

Does the paint have any effect on your barrel's properties? My barrel is free floating...I'd hate to have paint effect it's performance. Am I being a spaz? Right now I am about 1/2 to 3/4 MOA...at 100 yrd ranges..haven't gone further yet. I don't want to mess with my rifle accuracy. Can paint have a negative effect?
Link Posted: 6/5/2001 9:26:52 AM EDT
[#15]
NICE WORK! ive been wanting to do my Savage 10FP but first i need to get a nice stock to replace the Fisher-Price one that it came with.
Link Posted: 6/5/2001 9:28:54 AM EDT
[#16]
Compliments on the fine job, Rich314.
I may have to try that in an "urban camo" scheme on one of my units.
"bitchin'"!
Link Posted: 6/5/2001 10:47:24 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Agent Smith:
I agree that it would be fun to do that yourself...but I am no Pablo Picasso...I am an less than artistic...in fact all my models looked like crap. Good thing I had firecrackers.

Does the paint have any effect on your barrel's properties? My barrel is free floating...I'd hate to have paint effect it's performance. Am I being a spaz? Right now I am about 1/2 to 3/4 MOA...at 100 yrd ranges..haven't gone further yet. I don't want to mess with my rifle accuracy. Can paint have a negative effect?
View Quote

I had the same worries. I took it out and shot the same groups, about 3/4 moa. I fired 60 rounds through it a steady pace to see if the heat would affect the paint. No problem.
I just removed all oil off the portions to be painted prior to the primer coat.
Dont be heavy handed with the paint.
Here`s my new Ghillie suit.

[blue][size=4]link contains nudity[/blue][/size=4]
[url]http://www.v8teens.com/tgp/jesyngbub036.jpg[/url]
Link Posted: 6/5/2001 1:03:38 PM EDT
[#18]
NICE GHILLE SUIT!! can i buy it from you?? BTW, did you paint your bolt? and how did you protect the inside of your reciever?
Link Posted: 6/5/2001 1:30:27 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Here`s my new Ghillie suit.
View Quote

Thanks...  Now I need to find the windex, and buy a new keyboard...

Something tells me I need to find a new Guillie suit, where'd you get yours  ;)
Link Posted: 6/5/2001 1:32:20 PM EDT
[#20]
I took the bolt out and taped the openings, I also taped th trigger guard and trigger, recoil pad, crown of barrel.
Link Posted: 6/5/2001 6:08:30 PM EDT
[#21]
Hey,I can only see half your rifle.?Nice job from what I can see.

If I had a Ghillie suit like that I'd never leave the "bush". [:D]
Link Posted: 6/13/2001 9:58:01 AM EDT
[#22]
Your rifle looks great!  I really like the alternating colors.  Have you thought about taping your scope adjustment knobs/rings w/camo tape to complete the effect?
Link Posted: 6/13/2001 10:09:45 AM EDT
[#23]
That is the best home made camo job that I have seen.
Link Posted: 6/13/2001 10:15:54 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
ere`s my new Ghillie suit.
View Quote

My Beta C-mag don't look like that! [>Q]
Link Posted: 6/14/2001 5:53:55 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Good work.. I was thinking about a Rem 308 but was told Remington has discontinued this model. anyone outhere know if this is so? If yes what is comparable.
thanks
View Quote

They are just basically remington senderos. They just gave them the varmint sinthetic stainless fluted name for some odd reason.  I own one in  22-250. Good guns.
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 6:09:39 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Your rifle looks great!  I really like the alternating colors.  Have you thought about taping your scope adjustment knobs/rings w/camo tape to complete the effect?
View Quote

Good idea! thanks. I will look into that. I was going to just muddy up the lines, but that sounds like a winner.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top