Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/6/2006 8:47:53 AM EDT
My brother asked me which is better:  M1A Socom or Socom II?  

I honestly don't know how to answer that since I'm not that familar with the weapon (I'm more of an AR15-man).  He wanted to know the differences between them.   I heard that the original design hasn't changed much because it is a very reliable weapon, battle hardened/proven.  Now there are several models to choose from.  

He's impressed with the rifle, but never shot it (He's seen others shoot it).  He wanted to invest in getting an M1 rifle, but undecided if he wanted to be a purist and stick to the original design M1A, or go more of a modern route and have a picatinny setup Socom II.  

My brother asked, and I didn't know the answer to his question.  I figured I would ask the experts on this site that know this weapon very well... or at least, point me in the right direction so I can show him.  

Thanks for your time.

Semper Fi!

I don't care if this is a dupe for you dupe police.  
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 8:48:36 AM EDT
[#1]
LRB

Link Posted: 4/7/2006 10:22:13 AM EDT
[#2]
LRB?  I'm not familiar with that acronym.

Are you referring to LRC?  If so, I served in the USMC '99-03, and my brother served in the USN '99-04 on a sub.  
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 10:25:18 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
LRB?  I'm not familiar with that acronym.

Are you referring to LRC?  If so, I served in the USMC '99-03, and my brother served in the USN '99-04 on a sub.  

LRB refers to the forged receiver available from said company.

springfield uses cast receivers in the socom.

some people, including myself, have an aversion for anything cast.  (seen to many pores in cast steel)
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 10:28:11 AM EDT
[#4]
LRB is a rifle maker. They make M14 type rifles using forged receivers and USGI parts. Better than Springfield which uses cast receivers and non-USGI parts.

Loks like they are back ordered right now though.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 10:33:17 AM EDT
[#5]
the Vltor rail system other than that the SOCOM 16 and the SOCOM II are the same
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 5:30:51 PM EDT
[#6]
My brother thanks you all for the information, and I thank you very much for helping him out.  

Semper Fi!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top