Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/4/2005 9:10:11 AM EDT
I couldn’t be more happy. This is third year of baseball. He had never had a chance to pitch before last night. He is 9 years old, going into 4th grade. His arm strength is not the best in the world, but he can throw.

I talk to him before he went out and just told him to do the best he could and not to get upset if things went bad. He throws a couple practice pitches them here we go. He gets them over the plate with ease!! I was shocked. Gives up 2 hits. Catches a popup on the mound, strikes out the second batter and then catches a line drive on the mound. All three outs himself. The next inning was a little more difficult. A couple walk and bad defense leads to 6 runs. He did make a great play on the mound. He knocks down another line drive and throws to 1st for the out.

That is something I will never forget. I can’t wait for next week to see him pitch again.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 9:22:00 AM EDT
[#1]
Here's hopin' that he enjoys the game as much as you enjoy watching him.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 10:30:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 10:45:20 AM EDT
[#3]
I remember the first game I pitched my Dad was there as well. It is a great memory that I bring out whenever I want to smile amd remember my Dad. I am glad you were there for your son.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 10:47:56 AM EDT
[#4]
I hope you took pictures!!!! Congrats to the both of you.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 10:48:28 AM EDT
[#5]
if you didn't beat him for giving up six runs in one inning you are a terrible father.

Just kidding, it's good to see a parent who can enjoy watching his kid play a game rather than the ones that try to live through their kid because they were never any good.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 6:18:59 PM EDT
[#6]
We did go out after the game. Good thing Dairy Queen is close. Not only did I get some pics, but the digital camera is able to take vids. That is live action I will have forever!!
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 6:19:43 PM EDT
[#7]
tell him to start playing lacrosse immediately
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 6:23:44 PM EDT
[#8]
A proud achievement.  Congrats.  
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 6:25:31 PM EDT
[#9]
teach him how to throw a splitter and he can pitch forever
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 6:42:34 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
teach him how to throw a spitter and he can pitch forever

Fixed it for you.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 6:53:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Awesome, its a great thing. My boy played his first year of little league and they put him up as pitcher. He didnt want to do it abut I told him what a great position it is. He has a great arm and doesnt even know it.

Here is my oldest at his first game last year.

Link Posted: 8/4/2005 6:55:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Need to put some vasoline in his hat brim for the next game....
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 6:59:33 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I couldn’t be more happy. This is third year of baseball. He had never had a chance to pitch before last night. He is 9 years old, going into 4th grade. His arm strength is not the best in the world, but he can throw.

I talk to him before he went out and just told him to do the best he could and not to get upset if things went bad. He throws a couple practice pitches them here we go. He gets them over the plate with ease!! I was shocked. Gives up 2 hits. Catches a popup on the mound, strikes out the second batter and then catches a line drive on the mound. All three outs himself. The next inning was a little more difficult. A couple walk and bad defense leads to 6 runs. He did make a great play on the mound. He knocks down another line drive and throws to 1st for the out.

That is something I will never forget. I can’t wait for next week to see him pitch again.

Sounds great, little league baseball is a great father and son memory making activity.  
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 7:10:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Sounds like you 2 had a good time. In a few years teach him to throw a changeup and basically he will be unhittable. When I was in 5th grade around there there was a kid on my team that could throw a curveball, and absolutely no one hit it. Plus he threw pretty damn fast.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 10:17:25 PM EDT
[#15]
That brings back a memory for me from Little League. I was on in relief when I served one up in the guy's wheelhouse. A grandslam is averted when my left fielder manages to prevent the ball from clearing the fence by having it richochet off his forehead. The ball goes screaming into centerfield. Three base error.

My Dad told me later that it just wasn't our day.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top