Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/2/2004 5:26:11 AM EDT
I got it from my commander last night at a deployment meeting.  There aren't any notebook computers allowed (for our battalion at least) to go to Iraq with us.  They're giving us a lame excuse for the reason why too, "people are stealing the Army's bandwidth trying to write home".

If these inept motherfuckers can't watch out for their own fucking resources, they're gonna take away ours.  Go figure.

I know that we have MWR internet over there, I also know that you can't lash your notebook up to it, so everyone is going to end up using it anyway to write home...  I also know that you can't read TMs and FMs all the fucking time when you have down-time.  These idiots don't get the fact that for some of these single guys, that's all they fucking have as a diversion.

I use my computer to write counseling and NCOERs, training plans, weapons serial number lists, guard rosters, the list goes on.  

Just bitching.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 5:35:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 5:37:12 AM EDT
[#2]
bring one anyway
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 5:37:47 AM EDT
[#3]
Take one anyway.  I'm a commander I guarantee I'd be taking one if my battalion deployed.  Are they going to search all of your stuff before you get there or just when you get back?  Also, who's doing the searching?
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 5:45:56 AM EDT
[#4]
I wouldn't bring it if they said not to. Our bags were searched a couple times.
Upon returning we all ended up dumping our shit out on the tarmac just prior to loading it on the plane.  If they passed the word, then it would be a good idea to listen to what they have to say. Suck it up.

Link Posted: 9/2/2004 5:46:20 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 5:49:32 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 5:52:23 AM EDT
[#7]
Did anyone notice that the "Fear and Loathing in Iraq" blog is no more.  That kid was embarassing the hell out of the media by giving credible accounts of actual events.  They are terrified that someone might find a non-censored channel to use to send timely stories back to the states.

Folks, we are living with Soviet-style media control now.  It's only going to get worse.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 5:54:28 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

................. I can relate.

Twenty years ago things were a whole lot harder on deployments as we only had snail mail - which would take three weeks in each direction............

13 Years ago during GW1 it was the same way.  Mail was 6-8 weeks turnaround.  The only phones available were set-up by AT&T in a hooch that was always located a few hours from our loc.   I can remember plenty of times riding in the back of a topless M998 for several hours just to stand in a line that half of fucking I MEF were waiting for the same phones.  Not to mention that half of time we never got to make calls.

Computers?
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 5:55:00 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I got it from my commander last night at a deployment meeting.  There aren't any notebook computers allowed (for our battalion at least) to go to Iraq with us.  They're giving us a lame excuse for the reason why too, "people are stealing the Army's bandwidth trying to write home".

If these inept motherfuckers can't watch out for their own fucking resources, they're gonna take away ours.  Go figure.

I know that we have MWR internet over there, I also know that you can't lash your notebook up to it, so everyone is going to end up using it anyway to write home...  I also know that you can't read TMs and FMs all the fucking time when you have down-time.  These idiots don't get the fact that for some of these single guys, that's all they fucking have as a diversion.

I use my computer to write counseling and NCOERs, training plans, weapons serial number lists, guard rosters, the list goes on.  

Just bitching.

Is this just some Bn Commander talking out his ass, or is is some sort of new policy?
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 5:55:59 AM EDT
[#10]
Ummmmm...NOT!
I still get some "good" emails from friends.
Unlike some people I don't post everything.

However....I'll say this:
According to my Navy friends the Army is lacking any sort of a usable wan/lan/internet system over in certain parts of the world.

That's lame, having a system that allows personal computers to be connected to it.
Don't work that way in the Navy....

Quoted:
Did anyone notice that the "Fear and Loathing in Iraq" blog is no more.  That kid was embarassing the hell out of the media by giving credible accounts of actual events.  They are terrified that someone might find a non-censored channel to use to send timely stories back to the states.

Folks, we are living with Soviet-style media control now.  It's only going to get worse.

Link Posted: 9/2/2004 5:58:00 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Just bitching.

And you know what?  The people who told you not to bring laptops will be the ones who bring theirs.  Just from my own experience deploying to Iraq.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 6:39:21 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Just a thought.

There have been alot of folks telling him to write a book.  It may be someone told him to keep writing, but not to post anymore.

But it was probably some officer weenie worried about him posting something negative about the war.

TXL
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 7:07:53 AM EDT
[#13]
Dont bring a laptop BUT does that mean you cant bring this

These will network and are windows based.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 7:31:21 AM EDT
[#14]
I can feel your pain; as an E7, I use mine alot for research and work projects, not to mention staying in touch when I am away from home.

I can also relate to the types who tell you not to bring them, then bring their own. On one hand, I can relate to THAT, since rank does have certain priviledges.

I have heard that the heat over there , along with the dust, etc has been real hard on personal electronics as a whole.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 3:35:41 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

I was asking aout this kid earlier and I found out what happened, they shut his blog down.  It was either by staring over his shoulder too much or indirectly-directly telling him that he wasn't allowed to post on a blog anymore.  It's all gone by the way, there isn't any of it left on the blog site by the way.

Fucking shame, he was a great writer.

By the way, I just bought a brand-new Toshiba laptop, that fucker is gonna go with me.  

Telling the single NCOs brought on a real shit-storm for the First Sergeants, who didn't have anything to do with the decision, but helped start its' reversal.  A bunch of us ganged up on the battalion commander and politely stated our cases for bringing personal computers, looks like the verdict is about 90% that we're going to be able to bring them now.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 4:12:27 AM EDT
[#16]
Somebody needs to get through to this LTC. This is a shit storm that can go right up his/her ass. Now I have worked with some of the senior leadership of the Army for 15 years and I can tell you we are now cycling through many who got the Clinton promotions and they are PC closet democraps. I would ask the soldier's wives to write their elected reps and say things like "how can we ask our soldiers to fight for others freedom and not allow free expression'? Then ask how much will this policy hurt families? This may be the Army but its America's Army. How much do you think this will help re-enlistments after this deployment?   Lastly, thank you for your service. Good luck and all our best to you and your family.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 6:26:58 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I'm sorry, that is about the stupidist thing I have ever heard.  Someone definately has their head up their rectal orafice.

You haven't ever been in the military, have you.  I've got under 8 years and I can beat that.

That being said, our brigade is buying hundreds of the things in prep for our deployment.

ARSTAF, I'll agree that this policy won't help morale, but I've noticed retention has not been a priority lately...I guess some commanders have been making unnecessary decisions that have negative effects on retention because they will be out of command before the results become apparent in that unit.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 7:41:00 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

And they make folding keyboards for some of them.  

Edited to put the pic back in.

Link Posted: 9/3/2004 8:17:59 AM EDT
[#19]

never mind
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 8:32:25 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
If you're writing NCOER's and guard rosters, you must be E-6 or above, right?

Your commander told you not to bring one.  I'll bet the BC told him.  Maybe it came all the way from the regimental comander.

Your job is to follow the CO's orders and make sure all your guys do, too.   And not just the orders you agree with, but all of them.

How about some fucking loyalty, for gods sake.

Read the NCO Creed lately?  Check it out.

What's with the hostility?  Yeah, I read the NCO Creed.  

And I do everything The Old Man says.  

I also stated that my laptop is going to accompany me, along with a nice little statement saying that I'm all but allowed to do so.  That's what 90% means.

By the way, my company commander wasn't too happy about the BC's decision either.  They didn't tell us why they were gonna do this (and yes it was just us).  Keep in mind there have been over 26,000 laptop computers delivered just by AAFES (as stated in the Army Times) to just Iraq since this whole thing started.  

Since when is it considered a smart thing to simply follow orders blindly?

I'll do what the guy says, it don't mean that I have to like it, or keep my mouth shut about how I feel about it.  If it's a fucked up way to do business, it's a fucked up way to do business.

This is simply venting frustration about something I have very little control over at work, how is that different than someone else here doing the same thing?

Who the hell do you think you are to question my integrity?
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 8:40:10 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 8:45:42 AM EDT
[#22]
security issues out the yin-yang.....DOA has recently put out new regs/SOPs, etc. on IT security.  etc. etc.  if they are saying no laptops/PDAs...then you best not get caught w/ one or youll become very well aquainted w/ the inside walls of Levenworth.  trust me on this one....i work I.T. as a contractor for the army......theyre really cracking down.  and if it is deemed you NEED a laptop..i'm sure you will be issued one.  when i was in kuwait last year....our entire network went down MORE THAN ONCE due to people bringing in personal laptops that were infected w/ virus, etc. and jacking into the network......thats unacceptable...so i can see where they are coming from.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 9:07:47 AM EDT
[#23]
I'm sorry.  I was deployed to PSAB in 1997 and I remember how nice it was to have e-mail access.  I can understand their concern though.  When I worked at Hill AFB a few years ago, we got the word that we were not to access streaming video or radio over the base internet because they were bandwidth hogs.  One or two people doing it?  No problem.  13K people doing it, big problem.  Many hundreds of DoD expert, logistics, and supply management systems have bandwidth priority over other non-duty related uses such as personal e-mail or internet access.  That is why many of the MWR orgs have tried to establish computer or internet cafes at many of the deployed locations.

Things have changed.  I remember being stationed on Guam in 1978 and we had one TV station there.  It played everything, including the news, on a one week delay, due to having to send everything there by video tape from LA.  As such, most people just spent the entire 15 months drunk and bored.  Wanted to talk to mom?  Be prepared to spend $18-$25 a minute for long distance calls.  Snail mail was really the only option then.

I also remember having to walk 5 miles one way to school, in the snow, in my bare feet but that is another story

Link Posted: 9/3/2004 9:17:55 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 11:11:38 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
security issues out the yin-yang.....DOA has recently put out new regs/SOPs, etc. on IT security.  etc. etc.  if they are saying no laptops/PDAs...then you best not get caught w/ one or youll become very well aquainted w/ the inside walls of Levenworth.  trust me on this one....i work I.T. as a contractor for the army......theyre really cracking down.  and if it is deemed you NEED a laptop..i'm sure you will be issued one.  when i was in kuwait last year....our entire network went down MORE THAN ONCE due to people bringing in personal laptops that were infected w/ virus, etc. and jacking into the network......thats unacceptable...so i can see where they are coming from.

We're still not allowed to hook our computers up to Army communications equipment.  The pogues do that, they have access to network stuff, we just want to be able to do the simple stuff, play DVDs, games, Formflow, access digital pictures, , heck the normal stuff you do with a computer.  We are going to have the regular MWR (Morale Welfare Recreation) internet hookups like anyone else has, we just won't be able to jack our own computers into the MWR lines, I can see why too.  

I was just posting this to bitch about not being able to use my new laptop for the reasons I bought it for.  I'll know for sure about whether or not I'll get to take it on Tuesday when I go back to work.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 7:39:00 AM EDT
[#26]
Yeah, I thought my post was a little too hostile, so I edited it out about 5 minutes after I sent it.

Just rubbed me the wrong way, that's all. I think I was really more ticked at the guys who were telling you to "take it with you anyway."

I don't know you, and I'm not standing in your shoes, and I apologize for lecturing you.

Good luck on your deployment and God bless you and your men.

Link Posted: 9/4/2004 7:43:02 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
That kid was embarassing the hell out of the media by giving credible accounts of actual events.

You mean like shooting water melons and almost killing your buddies?
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 8:25:34 AM EDT
[#28]
See if you can round up some or your TMs on CD-ROM.  We have a few of them with regs, pubs, and circulars on them.  
Maybe that will make your Laptop "deployable" or "mission essential", whatever they want to call it.

On the bandwidth issue- Soldiers will be soldiers.  If someone has a laptop and there is some internet around, they are going to do what ever it takes to get that connection.   It happens.   We have people splicing (i.e. stealing) phone and internet lines all the time out here.  With only a T1 NIPR connection for ~6k people, bandwidth is at a premium.  
Some guys must have been caught doing some silly stuff with their laptops and you're being punished for it.  

Good luck and stay safe.

CHRIS
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 8:27:04 AM EDT
[#29]
Second guess an order by the Chain of Command, then where does it end? Every order given is up for a vote?
Listen to the Bn Co. If he says no notebook laptops, that's what he means. Is it worth the UCMJ hammer?
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 8:45:02 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Just a thought.

There have been alot of folks telling him to write a book.  It may be someone told him to keep writing, but not to post anymore.

But it was probably some officer weenie worried about him posting something negative about the war.

TXL

He was shut down after NPR did a story on him and released his name and photo.  I would have shut him down too - those commies at NPR made him a target and a liability.  He was too young and inexperienced to have enough helathy distrust of the media.  He has no doubt learned his lesson, albeit the hard way.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 8:45:53 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
images.amazon.com/images/P/B0000DBJTZ.01-A1NDBS7YGOPBD6.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Those cannot run Formflow, the bread and butter of the Army.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 8:53:06 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
... trust me on this one....i work I.T. as a contractor for the army......theyre really cracking down.  and if it is deemed you NEED a laptop..i'm sure you will be issued one.  ...

A lot you IT folks like to say that - the reality is that it may look like plenty of computers everywhere from your REMF POV, meanwhile 4 platoons worth of people are fighting over the one available 5 year old PC to write counseling and NCOERs in the front-line units.  Computer issues are so micro-managed that local commanders have no control over getting them issued where needed.  Hell, I WAS A COMPANY COMMANDER and waited 4 months for a replacement for a MY OWN computer that went tits up!  I had the option of taking someone else's (and they all needed them too!) or using my personal laptop.  I used my personal laptop.  The Army is so screwed up with computers - one pentagon agency will produce training in, say, realplayer format - yet the local IT folks will have outlawed the realplayer software!

Offer us something that works, and meets our NEEDS - and folks won't need to develop so many workarounds.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 9:00:23 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 11:24:40 AM EDT
[#34]
You really need to get the senior company leadership together and approach the battalion commander. Ask him to reverse his decision about bringing laptops but make it punishable to hook a personnal computer to the army's system.

Most soldiers over here use the laptops to watch movies and listen to music when they are not working. Soldiers are also allowed to use the local internet cafe (if your FOB has one) and use their personnal computers.

Nothing worse than taking away a moral builder before you even deploy.

If that don't work, I say practice selective compliance.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 11:28:46 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

If that don't work, I say practice selective compliance.

+1

FWIW, the best way to do just this is through the US mail.  If it is local Bn policy only, you have nothing to worry about from mail inspections - and then you will also be clean for any baggage inspections at battalion level.  Just use discretion in country.  Besides, it gives you less to lug around.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 4:37:22 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:
... trust me on this one....i work I.T. as a contractor for the army......theyre really cracking down.  and if it is deemed you NEED a laptop..i'm sure you will be issued one.  ...

A lot you IT folks like to say that - the reality is that it may look like plenty of computers everywhere from your REMF POV, meanwhile 4 platoons worth of people are fighting over the one available 5 year old PC to write counseling and NCOERs in the front-line units.  Computer issues are so micro-managed that local commanders have no control over getting them issued where needed.  Hell, I WAS A COMPANY COMMANDER and waited 4 months for a replacement for a MY OWN computer that went tits up!  I had the option of taking someone else's (and they all needed them too!) or using my personal laptop.  I used my personal laptop.  The Army is so screwed up with computers - one pentagon agency will produce training in, say, realplayer format - yet the local IT folks will have outlawed the realplayer software!

Offer us something that works, and meets our NEEDS - and folks won't need to develop so many workarounds.

Amen!

As someone whos bread and butter is SAMS and ULLS-G run, I have to agree wholeheartedly. If the guys here who work with computers had a look at the outdated systems and software we depend on to get anything done they would have a heart attack.

They Army is easily 10-15 years behind the rest of the world on computer issues, and really, really lacks any common sense when it comes to anything related to computers.

I would love nothing more than see the entire IT policies redone, and not by an insider but by an IT manager plucked from a fortune 100 compnay who knows how to manage the stuff, because it is obvious nobody in the Army does.

FWIW, I couldn't get by in my job without a personal computer. The Army is never going to issue me a laptop, so I must use my own.

I'd have to take mine anyway and see what happened.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 4:41:51 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
and if it is deemed you NEED a laptop..i'm sure you will be issued one.  when i was in kuwait last year.....

Link Posted: 9/4/2004 4:52:40 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
bring one anyway

yeah they told us that too and 1/3 our company had 'em
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 10:11:46 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Adam, youre speaking of IT at the company level.  i'm sorry your IT personel are not up to par....i'm at the Department of the Army level and i'm a contractor.  maybe the computer related MOSs should be re-evaluated if the troops are coming out of AIT w/ their heads up their asses??  sorry to hear your IT dept. is so screwed.  
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 10:13:30 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

We're still not allowed to hook our computers up to Army communications equipment.  The pogues do that, they have access to network stuff, we just want to be able to do the simple stuff, play DVDs, games, Formflow, access digital pictures, , heck the normal stuff you do with a computer.  We are going to have the regular MWR (Morale Welfare Recreation) internet hookups like anyone else has, we just won't be able to jack our own computers into the MWR lines, I can see why too.  

I was just posting this to bitch about not being able to use my new laptop for the reasons I bought it for.  I'll know for sure about whether or not I'll get to take it on Tuesday when I go back to work.

yeah, i know where youre coming from.......dont know why you arent able to play DVDs and music though....thats odd.....good luck bro and stay safe!!  
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 5:38:00 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
i'm sorry your IT personel are not up to par....i'm at the Department of the Army level and i'm a contractor.  maybe the computer related MOSs should be re-evaluated if the troops are coming out of AIT w/ their heads up their asses??  sorry to hear your IT dept. is so screwed.  

I was under the impression you were prior service - I am starting to gather you were not.  There are no computer MOSs until you get to Division level - then you have some guys in G-6 to make the CG's stuff work pretty and maintainers in CSSAMO to keep the ULLS-S4, ULLS-G, SAMS, SAAS, etc. systems running.  If the Army was serious about administrative computers, we would have computer NCOs at every battalion - like we have maintencance NCOs for everything else -and a warrant officer job created for brigade level.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 5:55:20 PM EDT
[#42]

Windows CE bites!
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 5:56:50 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 6:00:31 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I'm sorry, that is about the stupidist thing I have ever heard.  Someone definately has their head up their rectal orafice.

You haven't ever been in the military, have you.  I've got under 8 years and I can beat that.

That being said, our brigade is buying hundreds of the things in prep for our deployment.

ARSTAF, I'll agree that this policy won't help morale, but I've noticed retention has not been a priority lately...I guess some commanders have been making unnecessary decisions that have negative effects on retention because they will be out of command before the results become apparent in that unit.

erm, TJ is a Vietnam vet.....think again, grasshopper.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 6:04:04 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Just a thought.

TXL

I read some of what he had up...

That guy was at least a 2LT...
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 6:11:16 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Just a thought.

TXL

I read some of what he had up...

That guy was at least a 2LT...

He was a machine gunner - he may have worked FOR a 2LT, but he was no 2LT,
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 6:21:10 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not to mention using (long discontinued) FormFlow99 instead of PDF format for electronic fillable forms...

Hey, even though I'm not in yet, the process of trying to do so involves enough paperwork that hand-filling forms is a PITA. Fortunately, I did manage to find the filler in some backwards corner of the internet, which has made doing the forms SO much easier, and will make it so much easier for the selection board to read them ...

On a side note, the one service that won't pull this sort of thing is the Air Force. The folks who consider a PC mandatory equimpent for each officer candidate (it's on the to-bring list: Computer (pref laptop) & printer (they don't tell you to bring the printer, but expect it to be there)) would, I'd immagine, have a hard time seperating folks from their PCs later on....

On a 2nd side note, if you're going to try and get approval for a laptop, it might help to use an older one that has no modem or network capability... Say, Windows 95 era, 200mhz or so... Just enough to run an old copy of Word & FormFlow... If it can't go online, ever (because the parts are not there), it can't waste bandwidth...
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 6:25:57 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

get the folding keyboard and you will have a "laptop" that doesn't look like one.  I use mine allll the time for this kind of stuff.  Works fine.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 6:40:31 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Just bitching.

Good bitch, thats kinda like a great leap back to the 1960's. They gonna issue typewriters?
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 7:01:24 PM EDT
[#50]
Our BC had made a similar edict, which was never really passed down below battalion staff. This was shortly after someone emailed the wife of a colleague who was killed before the Army had time to notify her, and it was considered as an option to keep control of this sort of thing.

That said, most people here have arranged Iraqi ISPs to provide service to their residences, and quite a few are ordering laptops in theater through AAFES.

NTM
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top